Uncertainty over who will be on Russian ladies team for Worlds | Golden Skate

Uncertainty over who will be on Russian ladies team for Worlds

Mao88

Record Breaker
This article states that Polina Shelepen has replaced Ksenia Makarova in the Russian team for the 2012 World Championships. If the article is correct, then this would mean that Polina S will now be going to both the junior and senior Worlds.

According to the article, no reason has been given as to why Polina S has replaced Makarova, and if the article is correct, then whatever the reason, I think this strengthens the Russian team for the world championships because Makarova's free program performances this season have been dire. It also maximises Russia's chances of retaining their 3 spots at 2013 worlds, and thereby ultimately their chances of obtaining 3 spots for their home Olympics in 2014. Leonova performed very well in the grand prix and am really looking forward to seeing Korobeynikova and Shelepen make their senior Worlds debuts, especially after seeing that brilliant free skate from Korobeynikova at Euro's.

NOTE: See post 22 below re subsequent developments since this was originally posted

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
YAY! Sending Makarova would make no sense. She was horrible the whole year and if she got 7th at last year's worlds, she could possibly not even make the top 10 this year. I don't know how Shelepen will skate and she will also probably get low pcs, but nevertheless she deserves it more than Makarova. It's time for her to transition to seniors.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yes Makarova hasn't skated well this season, but she usually skates well at Worlds. I think the Russian federation realizes that Makarova is just not going to be competitive after this season with some of the youngsters becoming age eligible, so they want Polina to gain the experience in case she ends up at the top of the very talented pool of ladies. I believe Makarova would place higher but removing her is a risk worth taking IMO.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ah, to bad for Ksenia, as I think she is lovely, classical, a mature artist but you can see why. I love Koro, she is currently my fave Russian 'baby" But that changes by performance. Ksenia must be feeling quite abandoned. Exactly as you said above, daisy.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Good for Polina! That free program didn't do Ksenia any favors, it's the best thing for the Russian team to swap them out at this point.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well it worked for Leonova in 2009 very well. Makarova needs to get it together with flip and lutzes.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Makarova was gonna be replaced anyway, sooner or later
I wonder what she is thinking right now ? she should skate for former soviet blocs like Azerbaijan, Belarus or Ukraine

tulosai

Record Breaker
I personally think this is a good choice. I do imagine that Makarova is probably devistated but it is impossible to doubt that Shelepen is the better long term investment/bet at this juncture. She may or may not be a factor in the next few years but Makarova IMO is done after this year unless she gets a lutz, and it will be good for Shelepen to get the international senior exposure and good for Russia if she does well-- if she does not, I think it was still a worthwhile gamble.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somewhat surprising. Shelepen was 10th at Russian Nationals after bombing the SP. But I guess she and Korobeynikova are the only senior age-eligibles and Polina K has visa difficulties.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Thing is I dont see Schlepen as having much part in Russias future either. There are already 4 or 5 younger skaters MUCH better than her (obviously not referring to the young veteran Leonova who I also expect to continue to be easily better than Schlepen), and who knows who else is coming up. I doubt she will make a future World team for Russia after this year either.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Shelepen skated well the entire season, except Russian Nationals SP. She just gave a very good performance in Jr. Nationals where she skated close to clean. She has a consistent 3Lz and usually lands two of them in the LP. She is much more consistent than Ksenia this season and I believe she earned her spot fair and square. It's not the first time the RF sends a skater to Euro/Worlds even though they didn't qualify at nationals. They want to keep those 3 spots and both Ksenia and Sofia(who placed in front of Shelepen at nationals) are very inconsistent. I think it's a fair decision.(plus, am I the only one to see the improvements Polina made in her skating this season?). I won't be surprised to see her PCS go up if she lands 7 triples in the Lp. With the usual trend of lowering the technical content in the senior ranks, the judges may very well go nuts to see the youngsters landing 3-3 combos like doubles.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Somewhat surprising. Shelepen was 10th at Russian Nationals after bombing the SP. But I guess she and Korobeynikova are the only senior age-eligibles and Polina K has visa difficulties.

That was for Euros!
It looks like Korobeynikova and Shelepen will both go to Worlds. The russian babies invasion has started:hb:

Do you know which of the two will have the direct entry?

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^
Polina K. is the direct entry.

Shelepen skated well the entire season, except Russian Nationals SP. She just gave a very good performance in Jr. Nationals where she skated close to clean. She has a consistent 3Lz and usually lands two of them in the LP. She is much more consistent than Ksenia this season and I believe she earned her spot fair and square. It's not the first time the RF sends a skater to Euro/Worlds even though they didn't qualify at nationals. They want to keep those 3 spots and both Ksenia and Sofia(who placed in front of Shelepen at nationals) are very inconsistent. I think it's a fair decision.(plus, am I the only one to see the improvements Polina made in her skating this season?). I won't be surprised to see her PCS go up if she lands 7 triples in the Lp. With the usual trend of lowering the technical content in the senior ranks, the judges may very well go nuts to see the youngsters landing 3-3 combos like doubles.

its also worth noting that Polina S. rebounded at junior nationals and has had a more stable season compared to Makarova who is plagued by UR's, falls and regressed overall skating, same for Biryukova whos only clean skate was at CoR,

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was for Euros!
It looks like Korobeynikova and Shelepen will both go to Worlds. The russian babies invasion has started:hb:

Do you know which of the two will have the direct entry?
Yep the changing of the guard has already started a year early.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thanks. Do you think it is all just a rumor? Now it is being reported that Makarova is sick. I am confused.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^Thanks. Do you think it is all just a rumor? Now it is being reported that Makarova is sick. I am confused.

I read Makarova and Leonova withdrew from the final stage of russian cup due to illness, i havent read that this has anything to do with Worlds.

Also the first article replacement at Worlds probably didnt quote any source for it, since Gorshkov says that they havent decided yet probably it is still open.