Update on 2022-23 Grand Prix Series | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Update on 2022-23 Grand Prix Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
Norway
Yay! Can't wait for the assignments! I feel a great GP season is coming up, although I will miss my Russian girls and boys (and Safonova and that Dracula guy).
Do you think it´s possible for Josefin Taljegård to finally get a GP spot? With the Russians suspended there are more other entries available. All though I don´t completely understand the selections criteria. If they use world standing she would have pretty good chance, but I tried to read the selection criteria and it seems seasonal best scores is more crucial for parts of the selection - so if that is the case she is quite low on the list considering her official best ISU score is around 160 :/

Anyhow, I don´t expect you to know, and we will probably know tomorrow anyway.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hiya - I don't have much experience of staying in Sheffield hotels as I live here, but I'd recommend staying in the city centre rather than in a hotel near to the rink - the rink is in an industrial part of town - very busy roads, not very pretty, not much to see.

Hotels in the city centre, (e.g. Mercure St Paul's, Jury's Inn, Leopold - and there are a few budget options too), are all very near to the tram line, which takes you directly to the rink (tram stop is "Arena"). From the city centre to the IceSheffield/Arena tram stop is 15 minutes, and trams are frequent. The tram is the quickest and most convenient way to get to the rink, IMHO.

Are you excited about the GP in your city @Ruthypegs? I know I would be :) Even if it looked like some of my fav skaters might sit out the season, I'm sure there would be others to see. :)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Are you excited about the GP in your city @Ruthypegs? I know I would be :) Even if it looked like some of my fav skaters might sit out the season, I'm sure there would be others to see. :)
I'm super-excited! I'll be going for sure, and hoping that my skating teacher will be one of the host picks! I'm hoping that Jason, Deniss, Kazuki will be there. Hoping also that this event will pave the way for the Europeans to be held in Sheffield in 2026.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Do you think it´s possible for Josefin Taljegård to finally get a GP spot? With the Russians suspended there are more other entries available. All though I don´t completely understand the selections criteria. If they use world standing she would have pretty good chance, but I tried to read the selection criteria and it seems seasonal best scores is more crucial for parts of the selection - so if that is the case she is quite low on the list considering her official best ISU score is around 160 :/

Josefin is an Olympian now and absolutely deserves a host spot. I’d be delighted to have an opportunity to see her live. I think Finland is more likely, but any GP host who invites her has my vote!

Country
Norway
Josefin is an Olympian now and absolutely deserves a host spot. I’d be delighted to have an opportunity to see her live. I think Finland is more likely, but any GP host who invites her has my vote!
Aha, so it´s possible! That would have been great. Finland should really invite her!🤞🤞 I always thought host spots go to the host countrys own skaters, but if they have additional spots to give away to others that is great.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

For Sweden: Also the Craaford twins have a chance for a GP spot with all retired pairs. They have the tech minimum for worlds. Couldn't compete at Euros or Worlds due to Greta's injury. And Nikolaj Majorov? Josefin I'm sure she'll get one spot.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The ISU has confirmed that the fourth GP event will be held in Sheffield, GB and will be called MK John Wilson Trophy:

Official announcement on the website

Also in the announcement: "The lists of entries for the 2022/23 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series will be published on the ISU website on Friday, July 22nd 2022."

Yay! We’ll finally get it!

Fingers crossed I will be able to see some of the ‘must see live’ I haven’t seen yet. Cha, Shun Sato, Gubanova, Safina/Berulava, Brown/Brown, Gogolev, Malinin and Schizas

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hiya - I don't have much experience of staying in Sheffield hotels as I live here, but I'd recommend staying in the city centre rather than in a hotel near to the rink - the rink is in an industrial part of town - very busy roads, not very pretty, not much to see.

Hotels in the city centre, (e.g. Mercure St Paul's, Jury's Inn, Leopold - and there are a few budget options too), are all very near to the tram line, which takes you directly to the rink (tram stop is "Arena"). From the city centre to the IceSheffield/Arena tram stop is 15 minutes, and trams are frequent. The tram is the quickest and most convenient way to get to the rink, IMHO.
Ah! Great to know! Very valuable info. I think the tickets will sell really fast. The tram sounds like a great option. So happy to see another country getting an opportunity.

Warwick360

Medalist
The ISU has confirmed that the fourth GP event will be held in Sheffield, GB and will be called MK John Wilson Trophy:

Official announcement on the website

Also in the announcement: "The lists of entries for the 2022/23 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series will be published on the ISU website on Friday, July 22nd 2022."

About time. I'm agog to know who's coming to Sheffield and if it's worth the cost. Fingers crossed there are some top Japanese single skaters there. 🤞🤞🤞

Warwick360

Medalist

Wish the train tickets from South to Sheffield were cheap. Reminds one how much the UK train service can break the bank. 🤕🤕🤕

Warwick360

Medalist
Ah! Great to know! Very valuable info. I think the tickets will sell really fast. The tram sounds like a great option. So happy to see another country getting an opportunity.
Any idea where the tickets will be selling? Not sure if I'm trying less, or if it's ISU who tries less on this. I find it normally very vague on where ISU sells their tickets.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Any idea where the tickets will be selling? Not sure if I'm trying less, or if it's ISU who tries less on this. I find it normally very vague on where ISU sells their tickets.
Most things these days go on Eventbrite. That way if it is popular then we don’t need to worry about downing the server. Otherwise I’d say Ticketmaster probably. Failing both of those IceSheffield might have made their own ticket selling site.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ISU does not sell the tickets, the organisers of each GP sell them - in this case usually the fed.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
ISU does not sell the tickets, the organisers of each GP sell them - in this case usually the fed.
In Canada, where the tickets are sold depends on the venue. Each venue (arena) has its own box office, plus an agreement with one of the online ticket vendors. Sometimes it's Ticketmaster, but Prospera Place in Kelowna uses a different site.

Skate Canada does, however, notify anyone who is on their e-mailing list of when tickets will go on sale, and give a link to the appropriate site.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Wish the train tickets from South to Sheffield were cheap. Reminds one how much the UK train service can break the bank. 🤕🤕🤕
Very true - train ticket prices are outrageous. Wonder if you've seen this potential option, depending on where in the South you are - https://www.flixbus.co.uk/ - the bus from London stops off at Sheffield Meadowhall, and you can then take the tram from there to the city centre/rink. (I think Flixbus tickets become available a few weeks before travel)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
IceSheffield said that they'd be announcing tickets on social media - I don't know which sites.... or when

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
The train prices are INSANE! admittedly the cheapest tickets are usually released 12 weeks before the date so there’s still time before anything would be out for the grand prix, yet it still looks like a couple of hundred pound 🤯
I think I’ll end up driving, even if it’ll take me 4+ hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.