Update on OKSANA BAUIL | Golden Skate

Update on OKSANA BAUIL

B

Bleuchick

Update on OKSANA BAUIL

Attention all Oksana Bauil fans:

She has signed with IMG and will join SOI next year.

Whopee!!!:D :D :D :D

W

WindSpirit5

Re: Update on OKSANA BAUIL

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Btw, can you provide a link?

M

mathman444

That's really cool. Oksana will be a very welcome addition to SOI. (Now if they would just sign Yuka.)

MM

R

rgirl181

I hope this is true. I'm happy to see her skate, if she is skating well, and never jump. But I'm afraid she will push herself to do so and get hammered by certain critics if she doesn't do triples, which I don't think she will ever do again with that knee. SOI has some great male jumpers, anyway. I would love to see Oksana back on the ice--if she's in good condition.
Rgirl

J

Jaana

Oksana may be just great in ensemble skating! I wonder if this means that Witt will not be there next season?

More than anything else I wish to see Ilia Kulik skating in SOI again... Does anyone else remember that beautiful duet Oksana and Ilia did together in Disney Special 1998 to the music of "The Beauty and the Beast"? They also were both absolutely fantastic dancing to the swing music!!!

Do you think that Oksana will be a good team-player with other skaters?

Marjaana

B

ballerinagrl

Thanks so much for the update!

I guess I should start planning a trip to the States for 2004 so that I might see her. It does sadden me that SOI and COI no longer tour Europe, or UK, in particular, but if they looked into the idea of UK, they would most likley find they were unable to book a rink out for a night because that would get in the way of the all important public disco sessions, and if they were granted a venue like the national arena or NEC they probably wouldn't sell enough seats to anywhere near break even :| Sad reflection of popularity (or otherwise) of figure skating in Britain. This year - for the first time since I was born - the BBC didn't televise ANY of the national championships, European championships or the Worlds ...

Thanks again for the update. It would be fantastic to see her skate again!
Best, Lilya

J

Jaana

The Finnish TV did even show the men´s and ladies short programmes from Worlds this season, which it has never earlier done, IIRC. Normally we have had to depend on Eurosport only.

Marjaana

R

rgirl181

Wow, yes, Jaana, now that you mention it I do remember the Ilia/Oksana duet from Michelle Kwan's special. They were great!

For me, it goes without saying that I want SOI to hire Ilia back. I was VERY unhappy that he did not skate this year. I could understand him wanting to take some time off to be with his new daughter, but as I understand it (Jaana, you would know for sure), SOI offered him less money than in previous years. Screw that! I can tell you that he was very much missed in SOI this year. Todd hits most of the jumps, but Ilia he aint. Nobody had the jumps, the footwork, the speed, the performance quality, the choreography, the musicality, and the audience communication Ilia has. Yags was not nearly as impressive to me overall, although I did enjoy "Over Come."
Rgirl

J

Jaana

Yes, I have seen the SOI broadcast from A&E, and could not help noticing how much Ilia is missed... Let´s hope to see him in SOI next season!

I`m sure that after 4 years of touring for about 4 months every year, Ilia felt that he needed to stay at home this season. He wanted to do a shorter tour, and that´s exactly what he has been doing. He has had several appearences in Japan in different cities on Prince Ice World tour (he is the headliner as Midori Ito is injured) and will go there once more for several shows to be held in Yokohama. There will be 14 shows during Apr 26 and May 5. Sasha Abt is skating there as well for these shows.

Marjaana

J

Jules Asner

YES! thank goodness I reconsidered and ordered 1 ticket.

S

SkatingFantasy

Update on Oksana Baiul

Awesome! She's still my favorite skater. You said she will join with IMG. What is IMG?

B

Bleuchick

Re: Update on Oksana Baiul

I am still searching for a link. Still, keep smiling.:D Good news is worth waiting for.

J

Jennifer Lyon

re: Oksana

If Oksana signs with SOI, I am definitely going to see her! I hope they pair her up with Yags in the ensemble numbers. I think they'd look great together.

E

ElvisStojkofan

Re: re: Oksana

wow, it's been a while since we seen Oksana skate. The
last time I saw her was in VH1's "where are they now", I didn't think she was going to be touring or coming back anytime soon. that's great, can't wait to see what she does

A

anastasiabeaverhoussen

Hip Hip

Wow I am so happy that I will get to see Oksana skate again. Where is she training these days?

J

Jennifer Lyon

re: Oksana

Last I heard, Oksana lives somewhere in or near New York City but travels to Richmond, Virginia to train with her coach, Valentin Nikolaev. He worked with her during her eligible skating career. (He's the man in the kiss-and-cry with Oksana and Galina in all the Olympic photos.)

D

DORISPULASKI

What great news!!! Does anyone know when and where she will first appear?

dpp

B

bumblebee1

The gentleman I sat next to at SOI last night (April 10) commented that the show could use another female lead besides Katarina Witt. He may just get his wish.