Valentine's Day | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Valentine's Day

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Natalia Mishkutenok and Artur Dmitriev, Dream of Love, 1992 Olympics Albertville

Lagniappe: In a music exhibit at the Smithsonian a few years ago, I saw a small painting (or just a drawing?) of Franz Liszt, who wrote Dream of Love, playing the piano at a concert. The first 2 or 3 rows of concert-goers were young ladies. They were fainting, crying, looking disheveled; it looked like some of them were screaming. For all the world it looked like an early Beatles concert. But 1842-style. And Franz! He had shoulder-length hair, which was swinging around because of the way he was passionately playing the piano!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sale & Pelletier took my breath away at the 2002 Olympics with "Love Story." 😘 In itself, the song isn't anything special (JMO) but in Jamie & David's hands -- blades? -- it was pure magic.

Such a shame that their Olympic moment was overshadowed by the judging mess.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
A tale of two Mahlers, both choreographed by Marina Zoueva. V&M celebrate young love, while Katia shows the pain of unexpectedly lost love:

G&G skated many romantic professional programs together.

I also think of D&L's programs to "Somewhere in Time" and "At Last."

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yeeeeeeeesssssssssss!!! :clap::cheer:

IMO, one of the all-time greats. The expression, the edging, the height of the throws -- simply gorgeous. I couldn't believe it when I found out they were married to other people!
I meant to say yesterday, after I re-watched this. I love love love their throw single axel in the middle of the program.

There's just something magical about a great single axel. Probably it's the way either a single skater or, in this case the thrown person, Barbara, will hang in the air for a visible second. Just thrilling. Like defying gravity.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey! watch it! I'm the one who posted Meryl and Charlie's S&D. LOL. Meryl and Charlie qualify as an all-time great duo who portrayed lovers so gorgeously on ice .... and according to Meryl, never were involved romantically.
I believe her! While they, the Shibs, and Tan and Ben are my fav all time ice dancers, and could be very romantic, they IMHO dont qualify for this thread as they were not romantically involved with their partners.
Chris the old romantic.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe her! While they, the Shibs, and Tan and Ben are my fav all time ice dancers, and could be very romantic, they IMHO dont qualify for this thread as they were not romantically involved with their partners.
Chris the old romantic.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but I am going to have to get strict with you ;) and quote @labgoat 's OP:

On the eve of Valentine's Day I give you all this Valentine themed program and challenge you to post others of your favorite LOVE themed programs or favorite couples. Feel free to take liberties with this idea.

I took liberties. So sue me.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
More sweethearts skating...

I like this performance even better, because in the ending pose their faces are inches apart, and Jenni puts his arm around Todd so they're almost kissing (and then they do kiss quickly). :love:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States

G&G Vocalise (with the original music, no vocals)

G&G Exhibition to Reverie (three videos with various camera angles) The music is not romantic per se, but I find the program quite romantic.

Also, here are the on-ice marriage proposals of Shen and Zhao and Inoue and Baldwin. Shen and Zhao later had an on-ice wedding ceremony and celebration.

Last edited: