Virtue and Moir are Marvelous! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir are Marvelous!

shine

Record Breaker
Me!!! And Tracy Wilson, Rod Black and Sale and Pelletier - were not biased of course.

:biggrin:

Well, I'm not.

Just because some of us LOVE this team and their potential doesn't mean I am not realistic... And that's my point, Dancindiva.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Top overall Ice Dance scores in the GP so far:

DENKOVA / STAVIISKI BUL 201.58
DUBREUIL / LAUZON CAN 196.68
DOMNINA / SHABALIN RUS 188.41
BELBIN / AGOSTO USA 187.15
GREGORY / PETUKHOV USA 180.98
KHOKHLOVA / NOVITSKI RUS 173.86
VIRTUE / MOIR CAN 171.92
FAIELLA / SCALI ITA 170.73

We haven't seen DelShoes yet, but I can almost guarantee they'll be in the top 6.

I think we have to take the scores of D/L, G/P and V/M with a grain of salt, because they were skating on home ice.

GP scores aren't a clear predictor of late season results, but they give a ballpark estimate of how competitors stand in respect to one another. Basically, V/M have to increase their score by about 20 points to be a podium contender, while at the same time, the top teams have to NOT improve any further.

dfj

On the Ice
I watched the whole of the ice dance competition from SC and I never heard anyone make the suggestion that Tessa and Scott could or would be on the world podium next spring. My goodness, they only just came out of juniors.

Tracy Wilson said of them they need more speed and power before joining the ranks of the most senior ice dancers in the world - certainly something they are capable of, but not there yet. They could, however, be #2 in Canada this year.

They are wonderful to watch and incredibly talented and I look forward to maybe, just maybe, seeing them on the Oly podium in 2010. :yes: :yes:

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I saw them skate a couple of exhibition numbers at Celebration On Ice last December and they were far from boring. Ice Dance is my least favourite discipline and they were the highlight of the show for me. They have a very bright future ahead of them.

rain

Record Breaker
I watched the whole of the ice dance competition from SC and I never heard anyone make the suggestion that Tessa and Scott could or would be on the world podium next spring. My goodness, they only just came out of juniors.

Yeah, I'm a big fan but I don't remotely expect them to be near the podium at Worlds in 2006. I'm hoping for something more along the lines of a top 10 finish.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty

It was posters here in this forum that were suggesting that V&M would be robbed at Worlds, that they should be on the podium but "politics" would keep them off it. That where the whole debate started.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think it's just enthusiasm, as they made such a good debut in their Senior GP, albeit at home, but still very impressive. :clap:

No couple straight out of Juniors ever makes it into the top group at Senior Worlds in Dance, they'll be doing very well indeed to make the top 10, which I'm sure they and their Coaches realise, but ofcourse they have huge medal potential for the future.

B/A were 17th at their first Senior Worlds, it's not like Singles or Pairs.

I'm sure they'll have no challengers for 2nd place at Canadians and a place on the World Team.

The other couple who impressed me greatly were Meryl Davis & Charlie White, no less a fabulous debut IMO than V&M. 2 super new [to me] couples to watch. :agree:

BTW for those who loved V&M's Sibelius FD to Waltz Triste, check out Rakhammo/Kokko's original FD to that haunting, lyrical composition - equally beautiful. :)

jayta

Rinkside
There's a lot to like about this team. I think they are comparable to the Sato's, Fumie's, and other just pure skaters out there. Their edge quality and flow is nice and they have such passion when they perform. I love their energy and they are technically so good for their age.

Plus I love the chemistry they bring to the ice. It's been a while since I've been mesmerized by a skating team and they've done it. I get excited about every new program! And I hate quoting Rod Black (yeah, please say it for the hundredth exclamated time!), 'They dance!'.

They really do bring the dance feel to the ice and they are so versatile in every dance they do. They may not be amazing in EVERY dance, but they do it well and with their own kind of style.

Just love watching them dance!

<Moderator's edit: No spoilers in the Edge, please. But you can go here if you want to see hw they are doing at Eric Bompard. http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14661 :agree:>

Last edited by a moderator:

shine

Record Breaker
BTW for those who loved V&M's Sibelius FD to Waltz Triste, check out Rakhammo/Kokko's original FD to that haunting, lyrical composition - equally beautiful. :)
That's still THE Valse Triste interpretation for me, even if it lacked a lot of technical difficulty and closed dance holds. It's just an unbelievably transcendantal rendition by R&K.
But I also really like V&M's very different interpretation. I love how this particular orchestration emphasizes the waltz rhythm. The joy they exuded during the FD at SC was so genuine and beautiful, and just totally affectious. Since I believe this wasn't aired by ESPN, here's the Youtube link to their FD from Skate Canada for those that might be interested (we are allowed to post links, no?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enRVzC502EY

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Johnny Weir's Valse Triste SP, the year he won his first National championship. He skated the program at Finlandia that season, and he has a lot of Finnish fans as a result.