Wagner Takes on Her Critics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Wagner Takes on Her Critics

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I think Ashley is very real and I appreciate that about her. She doesn't put up any airs or try to always say the perfect thing. I see Gracie as more about saying the right thing that will promote her, always being the 'Belle of the Ball' sort to speak.
Ashley is doing very well this season in my opinion. She clearly earned her place in the GPF. I don't think she meant any harm in her comment about the Russian women.
She does fight back at her critics. On Twitter someone ( a rather nasty, rude person) tweeted something about Ashley's crossovers and she fired back "well, they got me into the GPF!" I say good for her. She works hard and she stands by her skating. She is humble and keepin' it real.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is a question to all. Are there interviews where "those Russians" talk about Ashley? Or better yet..is there an interview where Ashley simply discusses her skating only. I'm not suggesting that they do not exist it's just I would find that much more fascinating. FWIW...the only criticism I see levied on these boards is her UR's and her two foot landings. Those are the only critics I'd give any weight to. I'd much prefer to see her take on those critics.

I do understand that interviewers are responsible for asking the questions. So I don't blame all of the drama caused over Ashley on her alone. As I eluded to earlier...she is responsible for the answers she gives and can dictate that so I still think she should be ready for whatever responses she may ilicit from people. Good and bad. Sometimes less is more.

Last edited:

qazwsx

Rinkside
Ashley needs to let her skating speak for her. It would be fine if she just spoke about her goals and ambitions. But when she starts analyzing the Russian system, she lacks the knowledge and maturity to do it in a thoughtful and appropriate way. Ashley thinks highly of herself. Good. So show it on the ice.

this. :thumbsup:

Her attitude speaks volumes of her immaturity, funny that she's trying to sell her maturity.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
With Gold injured, I expect she should hit Kostner like PCS among these crop of finalists and deservingly so, because frankly this is a field with no Kim, Kostner or Asada around. (Japan's best lady Kanako was under marked until NHK relatively, but too little too late. It will be interesting to see how they mark Hongo.)

Ashley is by far the more matured and seasoned skater. She does need to upgrade her tech and avoid UR. (Pls borrow some of Misha Ge magic hair gel too) She has total chance, especially if majority are still sticking with 3T3T SPs content except Elena. I've always thought she deserves her spot for Sochi but the handling of the fiasco from USFSA could really be better. This is the perfect time to prove to everyone why she was included.

Alot of people criticise her and Jeremy's interviews, but I personally think it is taking political correctness a bit too far. All competitive people have their own egos and express what they think is necessary for them to boost their self confidence and believe. They should able to speak freely. I much prefer her straight shooter vs pretending all American pie PC fakeness overboard. A sense of rivalry won't hurt either the sport either! In fact totally necessary. Who knew US would be the underdog in this sport? And all of a sudden Russian ladies are force to be reckon with AFTER Sochi. An all Russian podium would be terribly artificial, boring and tragic consider the state of Russian Ladies figure skating just 12 months ago. PCS scoring shouldn't have changed over night...Ashley earned her stripes, which is more than what I can say for many of these youngsters. The judging panel make up should be REALLY interesting as well consider the event is in Europe and they have only won it once these past 10 years with Kostner in a year when Yuna is not around and Mao is is reworking her jumps. If ISU want a European winner, they'd have a strict tech caller. If that tech caller is Alexander Lakernik then seriously :laugh:

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't agree with what Ashley is saying (you'd have to be pretty blind to not see the differences between Liza, Elena, and Yulia). But she can say whatever she wants. I do enjoy her skating and look forward to seeing what she brings at GPF.

Chris_E

On the Ice
Ashley's comments were in response to being asked about her ice time situation that her coach mentioned previously. The full teleconference is available on icenetwork and provides the context of her quotes. It seems many just like to assume negative intentions in her comments which is unfortunate.

I hope she skates strongly at the GPF and wins a medal and see how that shakes things up.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here's the thing. And I find nothing wrong with what Wagner is saying (BTW, it REALLY helps to forget that article shared by the OP and go straight to the teleconference audio where you can hear EVERYTHING in context)...

I seem to remember not too long ago reading interviews with some Russian skaters and they seem to be very open about their thoughts and aren't afraid to criticize. By that standard, Wagner's interview is very tame. And frankly, if you listen to the whole audio clip, she tried to be as complementary as possible while still keeping it real. She praised their talent (I see that quote didn't make it into that article, although it was quickly mentioned at the end).

Now...about Twitter: I do follow her and have noticed her RTing these negative comments every now and then. I sort of wish she would just not give them any attention because ultimately that is what is driving them. That said, sometimes I get a kick out of some of her responses back to them (she "plays their game"). This is probably one arena where I might agree with those saying to let the skating do the talking- if she keeps up with and beats the young ones, no one can hurl "old" at her as a criticism. Plus, you are never going to please everyone regardless...

Seems like ultimately, she does this so her fans can do the dirty work for her (go after the negative poster, which almost always happens).

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't agree with what Ashley is saying (you'd have to be pretty blind to not see the differences between Liza, Elena, and Yulia).

While their skating styles may not be identical per se, I completely agree with her. I do the same thing - I just tend to lump them all together as "the Russian girls" and I bet I'm not the only one. None stand out to me anyway, at least not at this stage.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Not a bad idea to sic your fans on a poster if you as me.

I love Ashley's candor and ability to speak her mind. I don't think her answers were rude at all...just original and honest. Not to dig at Gracie, but if the same questions had been asked I don't doubt that Gracie's answers would have been much more PC/standard ice skater answers b/c that's the way she's be trained to handle the media. Ashley, OTOH, is much more candid and honest...to me that's refreshing. Again, any time a US female skater says anything remotely npn-standard cookie cutter "I just want to do my best" people say she's being rude. We do lump the Russians in as "the Russians" ("Gracie is the only one who can challenge the Russians"..."there are four Russians at the GPF"). It's a fair assessment to make. B/c I follow the ladies religiously of course I see the difference in Julia versus Elena versus Liza T versus Anna...but they are still collectively called "the Russians." I see nothing wrong with saying that.

Personally I say figure skating needs more trash talk :cheer2:...and that wasn't even trash talk!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
^^Not a bad idea to sic your fans on a poster if you as me.

I love Ashley's candor and ability to speak her mind. I don't think her answers were rude at all...just original and honest. Not to dig at Gracie, but if the same questions had been asked I don't doubt that Gracie's answers would have been much more PC/standard ice skater answers b/c that's the way she's be trained to handle the media. Ashley, OTOH, is much more candid and honest...to me that's refreshing. Again, any time a US female skater says anything remotely npn-standard cookie cutter "I just want to do my best" people say she's being rude.

I say bring it on! :cheer2: Figure skating needs more trash talk...and that's not even trash talk!:dance:

When Wagner finally retires, she needs to get a job interviewing other skaters. Perhaps she can get it out of them! ;)

kwanatic

Record Breaker
When Wagner finally retires, she needs to get a job interviewing other skaters. Perhaps she can get it out of them! ;)

She'd be the one to ask the hard questions: "So, what do you do when you get a Shizuka level wedgie during your program?" :rock:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While their skating styles may not be identical per se, I completely agree with her. I do the same thing - I just tend to lump them all together as "the Russian girls" and I bet I'm not the only one. None stand out to me anyway, at least not at this stage.
But the only reason anyone lumps them together is because they're... Russian. Liza and Yulia are no more alike than if you grabbed two skaters' names out of a hat. This criticism doesn't work any better than lumping Ashley, Gracie, and Polina together.

I see it as a last-ditch effort to dismiss the Russians who are currently dominating. Hey, if we had message boards in back in the '90s, the Russian ones would probably be calling Harding/Yamaguchi/Kerrigan "the American girls, none of which stand out."

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
As much as I appreciate her honesty and cheeky sassy behaviour, I think it's better for Ashley to stop thinking and talking about Russian skaters and just do her job. And I wish she really stopped justifying the way she performs by bringing Russian girls. They have nothing to do with her mistakes. And sonogram-like comments are already tiresome.

Are they an idea fix for the American ladies? Judging from the interviews I read recently it seems to me that Ashley and Grace think more about Russian skaters than about their own struggles. Every interview I read is like "I wanna go and fight the Russians". And on the contrast, every interview from any Russian lady is like "my biggest competitor is me, I am the only person I am competing with".

Last edited:

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Are they an idea fix for the American ladies? Judging from the interviews I read recently it seems to me that Ashley and Grace think more about Russian skaters than about their own struggles. Every interview I read is like "I wanna go and fight the Russians". And on the contrast, every interview from the Russian lady is like "my biggest competitor is me, I am the only person I am competing with".

Yes. A million times yes. Of course they are. The Russians have been dominating the field this season so, naturally, anytime a conversation comes up the interviewer is going to ask them about the competition i.e. the Russians. The Russian ladies are the power players in the field and everyone else is chasing them, including the Americans. Ashley knows it's a tall order for her to beat the Russian girls but she can't say, "I have no shot in hell of winning the GPF this year." Instead she has to acknowledge her strengths and as well as theirs and take it from there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But the only reason anyone lumps them together is because they're... Russian. Liza and Yulia are no more alike than if you grabbed two skaters' names out of a hat. This criticism doesn't work any better than lumping Ashley, Gracie, and Polina together.

I don't mean it as a criticism, per se - I'm just calling it like I see it, that's all.

If one of them gives me a reason to see her in a different light than the others, then so be it. But that hasn't happened yet.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Each of the Russian girl has their distinctive characters, and I was thinking they are good talented skaters and it happens that they are all from Russia. Each of them has accomplished Ashley could not have done before she was 17... And there is no comparison between her and Caro. Judges have been handling generous PCS to Ashely in the past few years that in fact boosted her self confidence.

cooper

Medalist
i don't understand why the hate on ashley.. lolz.. i think if she's more PR in her answer people will still find a way to criticize her.. her comments are not even rude nor trying to talk some crap about her fellow skaters..

FlattFan

Match Penalty
To the poster who said Ashley Will never be a Carolina Kostner, I , for one, wouldn't and don't want her to be.

For one is correct because even ashley would give up her left testicle to be kostner. Everyone wants to be kostner. Except mao and yuna.

BlackPack

Medalist
Unfortunately, Wagner may be a poster child for the "Decline of Women's US Figure Skating" for years to come.

Scovies

Final Flight
As much as I appreciate her honesty and cheeky sassy behaviour, I think it's better for Ashley to stop thinking and talking about Russian skaters and just do her job.

To be fair, in every single interview I've seen of hers this year, she's been directly asked to comment on the Russian skaters and how she can compete against them. She's not just bringing them up out of nowhere.