Was Czisny's Omission From The U.S. Team for The 4CC's A Snub? | Golden Skate

Was Czisny's Omission From The U.S. Team for The 4CC's A Snub?

Mao88

Record Breaker
New article from Phil Hersh entitled How U.S. Figure Skating snubbed Czisny

Article reads:-

Second and first at the last two U.S. Championships. Highest U.S. women's finisher at the 2011 worlds. Best U.S. finisher on the Grand Prix circuit last season (when she won the Grand Prix final) and this season (when she was the only U.S. women's qualifier for the final.) Yet the great minds on U.S. Figure Skating's international committee somehow found a reason to deny Czisny a spot at the Four Continents Championship that ended Sunday in Colorado Springs. When the three U.S. women for Four Continents were named after the national championships two weeks ago, I figured Czisny's absence simply owed to her wanting time off before beginning intense preparations for the World Championships Mar. 26 - April 1 in Nice, France. But I learned Monday that Czisny wanted to compete at Four Continents so badly she began making tentative plans for the trip from her home in Detroit to Colorado Springs....Imagine Czisny's reaction upon learning the USFS had picked the 3-4 finishers at nationals, Agnes Zawadzki and Caroline Zhang, instead of her. "I was a little bit shocked," Czisny said Monday by telephone. So was her coach, Jason Dungjen. "They never gave me a reason," he said. So I called Doug Williams, chair of the USFS international committee, to see what the reason could have been. "We had a thorough committee discussion," Williams said. "We were looking at opportunities for all our ladies and at strategies for Sochi (the 2014 Olympics) and next year's Grand Prix (circuit) selection." You will notice that was a non-answer answer. Because there could be none for the irrational decision not to let Czisny skate at Four Continents.

brightphoton

Medalist
Jason Dungjen said, "They never gave me a reason."

I've got one. Because Alissa is (comparatively) not a very good skater and her silver medal at Nationals was a gift.

feraina

Record Breaker
Plus, USFSA does not work only for the interest of one skater, but all the skaters it can help nurture and develop. Caroline & Agnes both needed 4CC desperately to improve their SB scores and world rankings, as well as their impressions in international judges' minds, and 4CC would be their only chance to do so. Alissa already skated more than well enough for those purposes on the GP's, and plus she'll still have WC to showcase her talent.

It would only be an "irrational decision" if Alissa was the sole athlete USFSA had vested interests in.

ETA: It'd be much more appropriate for Armin to complain about not being sent to 4CC over Richard Dornbush, who was so far down at Nationals and followed up with a dismal result at 4CC, and Armin himself not only skated much better at Nationals and also desperately needed more ISU ranking points and international exposure. But even for Armin to complain would be unsportsman-like. Hopefully USFSA has learned its lesson from this!

But for Alissa to complain, when Caroline and Agnes both far outscored their SB's and significantly improved their world rankings, and helped to haul medals back home for the US, that just seems... inappropriate to say the least.

I really hope that it's just Phil Hersh playing favoritism and stirring up needless controversy once again, and not something that's coming directly or indirectly from Alissa's camp. Indeed, I hope they are furious right now that this article got published, and not feeling vindicated! That would be consistent with the class I have seen from Jason, Yuka, and Alissa so far.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Caroline & Agnes both needed 4CC desperately to improve their SB scores and world rankings, as well as their impressions in international judges' minds, and 4CC would be their only chance to do so.

^This. Phil Hersch is trying to stir up drama where there isn't any. Unless you win Nationals you aren't entitled to any assignments. The USFSA does so much to back Alissa that I am actually surprised that her camp is complaining to the media. Caroline and Agnes improving their world rankings and SB scores means we don't have to only rely on Alissa, which I guess works to her disadvantage.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa will also have the World Team Championship in April. Although she wouldn't get any additional World Ranking Points for that, it's a prestigious competition because only the best skaters in the World will participate.

It's a bit selfish for Alissa to presume that she should get first dibs on every competition. She didn't successfully defend her US Championship this time. And her last two competitions were far from her best. She needs to focus on preparing for Worlds instead of sulking about not being assigned to 4CC.

Anyway, past history shows it's probably better that she didn't compete at 4CC. She went to 4CC in 2011 and 2009 (when she won the US Championship) and finished behind two US skaters she had beaten at Nationals each time.

feraina

Record Breaker
Alissa will also have the World Team Championship in April. Although she wouldn't get any additional World Ranking Points for that, it's a prestigious competition because only the best skaters in the World will participate.

It also comes with a sizable chunk of prize money that helps to defray training cost on top of her team A envelope funding. Does 4CC give any prize money at all?

tulosai

Record Breaker
^This. Phil Hersch is trying to stir up drama where there isn't any. Unless you win Nationals you aren't entitled to any assignments. The USFSA does so much to back Alissa that I am actually surprised that her camp is complaining to the media. Caroline and Agnes improving their world rankings and SB scores means we don't have to only rely on Alissa, which I guess works to her disadvantage.

This is completely how I feel. I do think it would have been classy for USFSA to have talked to her about it but I don't think they HAD to and I think their motivations are fairly obvious as has already been discussed. She should focus her attention on getting ready for NIce instead.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has been fairly common in the past, hasn't it, for the US not to send its top skaters to Four Continents? It always seemed like kind of a consolation prize until Yu Na and Mao started showing up a few years ago.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It also comes with a sizable chunk of prize money that helps to defray training cost on top of her team A envelope funding. Does 4CC give any prize money at all?

Yes, although I don't know how the prize money compares between the 2 events. 4CC's pays at the same rates as Euros.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The one mistake USFSA has made in the handling of these assignments is not being open or consistent with these decisions. If you are going to set criteria, stick to them. If not, just say you are going to pick whoever you want for any competition and be done with it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It has been fairly common in the past, hasn't it, for the US not to send its top skaters to Four Continents? It always seemed like kind of a consolation prize until Yu Na and Mao started showing up a few years ago.

Yes. The fact that Katy Taylor is among your past winners shows that it has not always been a prestigious competition :)

Trewyn

Medalist
It has turned out to be a good decision, no? Caroline did well!
Plus, I don't know.. but I've read a few things about some previous seasons in which Czisny expressed regret for doing 4CC right after Nats and before Worlds. Like it got too much and it wasn't always a good thing for her to elect going to 4CC. Right after the LP at this year's Nats Jason did say he thought it'd be good for Alissa to have another competition before Worlds. But maybe it was 'good' the USFSA made the decision for her. Czisny can rest up and gear up for Worlds not skating at the event that traditionally she doesn't do well at and Zhang gets another comp generating GP spots for herself while skating at an event she's medalled at before. And Ashley got the opportunity (and took it with both hands) to make a name for herself being the top US lady without having to battle it out with Alissa. Coming into Worlds, they now both have a lot of good things going for them; it's looking better for the US Ladies than it has in years (without jinxing anything) so I don't see what the fuss is about. If Alissa feels personally snubbed, I feel bad for her, but as an experienced competitor, I'm sure she's dealt with a lot worse things.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Given Phil's history he may just be stirring the pot. It has been to quiet for him. Why not focus on Ashley's win and her amazing score or Caroline's comeback or Ross Miner's Bronze medal, etc. Or how about the great medal count the US earned at this competition, why not talk about that, but Phil being Phil (he loves controversy real or imagined) instead focuses on how Alissa got flipped by the USFSA, please.

jaylee

Medalist
It has turned out to be a good decision, no? Caroline did well!
Plus, I don't know.. but I've read a few things about some previous seasons in which Czisny expressed regret for doing 4CC right after Nats and before Worlds. Like it got too much and it wasn't always a good thing for her to elect going to 4CC.

Yes, she justified her poor performance at 4CCs last year, where she was the lowest American lady, by saying "...I didn't come to this competition as well prepared as I wanted to be since it was so close to the U.S. Championships." Funny how that didn't affect Mirai or Rachael.

She was also the lowest-ranked US lady at 2009 4CCs, and 2007 4CCs. Not so coincidentally, she did poorly at each of those competitions after a high placement at Nationals.

I don't blame USFSA for reading the tea leaves and thinking, hmm, Alissa could bomb--maybe better to give the opportunity to two younger skaters who need the competitive outing more than she does. After 2009 Nationals, which Alissa undeservedly won, they sent her to 4CCs in Vancouver, and she bombed there (which should have been a sign that she shouldn't have been named to the Worlds team) and then at 2009 Worlds. She deserved to win 2011 Nationals, but then she bombed 2011 4CCs, and blamed it for being so close to Nationals.

Alissa has been given plenty of gifts in the past by USFSA, at the expense of other skaters, such as Caroline Zhang, who should've been on the Worlds team in 2009. So, she had to give up a 4CCs spot this time. She still gets to go to Worlds. I just can't find it in myself to feel sorry for her here.

emma

Record Breaker
I really, I think, understand the USFS wanting to spread 4CCs and Worlds around to get the best number of spots for the US team for the next year in GPs and Worlds. But, I think this year's application of the revised (I believe it was revised or clarified) selection process took a lot of us, at least me, by surprise. Worse, it seemed uneven in application. So, if there is a fair process for revising or clarifying, and if this is clearly communicated, and if this is evenly applied - I really don't have a problem. But it looks like it took at least two, if not more, people by surprise, and I would like to see the USFS address that somehow.

If Alissa's silver was a gift, then shame on the judges. Meanwhile, she is silver medalist and had expectations of going to worlds (which she is, but apparently that is not guaranteed) and 4CCs (which didn't happen). Athletes shouldn't have these second guesses. And considering money is involved too, they really should know way ahead of time what to expect or to not hope for/expect.

Having said that, go Alissa at worlds! rock it!

Mao88

Record Breaker
HEY! Look at Katy Taylor's lovely performance. It is deserving of a medal in any competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXePE6tOeBA

Such a shame what happened to Katy Taylor. She had so much potential. She had boot problems during the 2006/07 season. And then the following season she suffered an injury of some kind and never returned. Does anybody know what the nature of the injury was as I never heard what it ultimately was?

Had her career not been curtailed, I think she would have given Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu a run for their money during the 2006-2010 quad cycle and could well have made the Olympic team. Sadly, though, she never really got the chance to build on her 4CC win

Here is a Goldenskate interview she did back in June 2007.

Last edited: