Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC

Amei

Record Breaker
so how many times will tara speak about herself during broadcast?? :laugh:

Drinking game! For everyone of legal drinking age in the country they currently reside in :party2:

How many 15 year olds will be skating on the senior circuit this season? Take that number and multiple by 2 and you have our minimum number. When Lipnitskaia skated and Tara was 1 of the commentators, I knew there were going to be the comparison comments.

Overall I think it is a good move for FS because it will appeal (I think) to the younger demographic, plus younger people are going to know who Tara/Johnny are. But for a but for a big improvement, they need to show more skating.

starlight97

Final Flight
Drinking game! For everyone of legal drinking age in the country they currently reside in :party2:

How many 15 year olds will be skating on the senior circuit this season? Take that number and multiple by 2 and you have our minimum number. When Lipnitskaia skated and Tara was 1 of the commentators, I knew there were going to be the comparison comments.

Haha :laugh:

I don't want people to take this the wrong way, I hold no grudge towards Tara, don't have a problem with her.
But I don't think she's very knowledgeable ( or if she is, doesn't show it in her comments) and she talks too much (about unimportant things).
But who knows, maybe she'll change now, or like it has been mentioned, will be told to change this little habit of hers by her now-to-be bosses.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well i am not sure what qualifies you as a broadcaster. yes, Tara skated and one OGM but it was in a different era and she retired by 16. Different rules and criteria - this doens't automatically mean she can't critque artistry under COP but it does automatically mean she is qualified. I am not sure how we decide who is qualified. Some say Bezic is qualified but other say she is from 6.0 era and doesn't now COP. More importantly, there are many of you posters who can communicate and "argue" or put views very well and logically. There are others who are better at stirring the pot so to speak and speaking from the heart or gut rational or not. Being qualified versus communicating well are different things. I think the hardest think Tara has to deal with is her ability to communicate. I sometimes get the feeling even though she is in her 30's now I feel she lack self confidence or assurance who she is even in her choice of clothes especially some of those hair ornaments - the clothes and accessory seem to dominate her and don't seem "natural" or part of her but rather forced on disingenious so to speak.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Well, I didn't MIND Tara/Johnny during Sochi, but I'm not really going wild over this. Surprisingly, I thought Tara was the substance and Johnny was all flash. Weir's personality is 'out there' which I don't mind, but his clothes were sometimes so embarassingly over the top I had to look away. I don't think that adults, and I'm now in my 40s, are going to be comfortable with him if he continues to dress in Liberace "LOOK AT ME!!!" outfits. Young kids these days are into other sports, so I don't think Weir is going to help bring in more viewers. He could do just the opposite. I don't want skating commentary to be headed by a Kartrashian type. We'll just have to wait and see.

noskates

Record Breaker
See, I disagree. What I enjoyed about Johnny's commentary was when he would point out WHY a skater didn't jump well or why they fell on a jump, etc. I think he brings a lot of technical knowledge to the table. I never like Tara's skating, thought she got out when she should have because that OGM was the skate of her life, but she's wayyyyy better than Sandra Bezic or (God forbid!) Peggy Fleming who never had an original thought or comment in all the years she was doing broadcast. I do agree that Tracy Wilson is probably the best but Tanith Belbin is also good as long as she confines her comments to ice dancing.

And all this criticism could be moot because stepping up to the NBC job will most likely include some direction and some constructive criticism. I seriously doubt they'll just let the two of them grab a microphone and take off.

Alba

Record Breaker
yeah because getting those marks will give you a license about the so called "artistry"..

If it gives us fans "a license", and we do talk a lot about the so called "artistry", certainly it gives her as well if not more.

Amei

Record Breaker
Well, I didn't MIND Tara/Johnny during Sochi, but I'm not really going wild over this. Surprisingly, I thought Tara was the substance and Johnny was all flash. Weir's personality is 'out there' which I don't mind, but his clothes were sometimes so embarassingly over the top I had to look away. I don't think that adults, and I'm now in my 40s, are going to be comfortable with him if he continues to dress in Liberace "LOOK AT ME!!!" outfits. Young kids these days are into other sports, so I don't think Weir is going to help bring in more viewers. He could do just the opposite. I don't want skating commentary to be headed by a Kartrashian type. We'll just have to wait and see.

Totally agree. One of my main concerns is that it will become more about the people in the booth than the skaters on the ice. Example, during the Olympics there was always the 'what were they wearing' for Tara/Johnny.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If it gives us fans "a license", and we do talk a lot about the so called "artistry", certainly it gives her as well if not more.
ITA, and who she is, the youngest OGM as well as World champion (might be forever due to the age rule). If she doesn't have the credibility, then who? :confused: Note that I am not even her fan. Not to mention, anyone, even casual or non-fan, can be entitled to their opinion, then why not the OGM?

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Tara and Johnny's commentary isn't what I'm looking forward to. The hype that they bring is.
Tara and Johnny became a trending topic during Sochi, something people talked about. The fact that social media buzzed about them means that younger people are paying attention. With attention, they bring attendance to events, views to broadcasts, money to shows. They bring interest in the sport that is desperately in need of new fans.
I'd love highbrow critical commentary, but I'd love if the sport stayed alive more. This is a good move on the part of NBC to bring four-year fans into being consistent watchers.

honeylove

Spectator
I found Johnny uncommonly interesting and serious; I was impressed. Tara I find annoying. Can't say why.

I will miss Scotty, despite all the complaints here. I thought his commentary was entertaining, and I like that he got excited. Sandra I can live without (maybe I don't like ladies).

Bring back Dick Button!

I loved him, too. My mom always said Scott sounded sarcastic to her. I never thought so. I always felt like he said what people were thinking.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Totally agree. One of my main concerns is that it will become more about the people in the booth than the skaters on the ice. Example, during the Olympics there was always the 'what were they wearing' for Tara/Johnny.
I agree with this. Skating competitions should be about the skaters, not what the commentators are wearing. Save that for lighter skating events. I hope NBC will give both Johnny and Tara some training and expect some level of professionalism.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree with this. Skating competitions should be about the skaters, not what the commentators are wearing. Save that for lighter skating events. I hope NBC will give both Johnny and Tara some training and expect some level of professionalism.

Competitions should be about the skaters, but I don't see the harm if people tune in to see what Johnny is wearing and stay to watch the skating. The sport needs all the help it can get when it comes to viewership.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I loved him, too. My mom always said Scott sounded sarcastic to her. I never thought so. I always felt like he said what people were thinking.

i disagree to a point; not everyone agreed with Scott and he had his extreme favourites and biases. He just didn't have a great voice and sounded a little unprofessional. I guess he relied on his reputation as a great skater whereas Tracy Wilson really became a commentator. right now Johnny is a perosnality and really I am sad to say Tara is not much of either but she does have OGM. I think a Sarah Hughes has far more ability to communicate effectively than Tara. i wonder if Tara and Johnny can get a non skating related job?

Plisskin

Medalist
Instead of pro-US commentary, now we will get pro-everyone else commentary with Johnny and Tara. They seemed to dislike all of the American skaters at the Olympics and rarely had anything positive to say. Even about Davis and White. I wish we could get unbiased commentators like the British.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Instead of pro-US commentary, now we will get pro-everyone else commentary with Johnny and Tara. They seemed to dislike all of the American skaters at the Olympics and rarely had anything positive to say. Even about Davis and White. I wish we could get unbiased commentators like the British.
Huh? I watched their SD commentary and I remember they were extremely positive about D/W. Tara (and Terry Gannon) picked D/W over V/M. Johnny liked I/K, but well... what did you expect from Johnny? ;) I think 2/3 commentators picking the American duo is more than enough American bias. Kurt Browning over here didn't even outright pick V/M, he just said, "You could pick either team and not go wrong."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Huh? I watched their SD commentary and I remember they were extremely positive about D/W. Tara (and Terry Gannon) picked D/W over V/M. Johnny liked I/K, but well... what did you expect from Johnny? ;) I think 2/3 commentators picking the American duo is more than enough American bias. Kurt Browning over here didn't even outright pick V/M, he just said, "You could pick either team and not go wrong."

I agree, if J&T were critical of Americans other than D&W it's because the other Americans do not compare favorably to the best international competitors. I would not want to hear a commentator try to argue that Gracie's artistry was on par with Yuna's, or that Jason deserved better PCS than Patrick because of his enthusiastic performance.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I agree, if J&T were critical of Americans other than D&W it's because the other Americans do not compare favorably to the best international competitors. I would not want to hear a commentator try to argue that Gracie's artistry was on par with Yuna's, or that Jason deserved better PCS than Patrick because of his enthusiastic performance.
To be fair, I'd give Jason's Nationals performance of Riverdance higher P/E and INT than Patrick's Sochi performance of Four Seasons. :p (But I will throw tomatoes at Johnny and Tara if they say Jason deserved to win in Sochi because he didn't fall :laugh:).