Weir Willing to be Arrested in Sochi for Gay Rights | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir Willing to be Arrested in Sochi for Gay Rights

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I like Weir but I don’t really think he has this to worry about unless he’s just planning on going to Russia to visit. I just don't see him making the team.

That is what is most laughable here. The report acts like there is even a remote possability of him making the U.S Olympic team. Last year when he started his comeback I might have said there is a tiny chance, like 3%. Right now there is something below zero chance of him making it (and that has nothing to do with the whole Russia gay laws, but his poor comeback attempt last year, the U.S men having only 2 spots, that he didnt even get a grand prix assignment, etc...)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Easy for him to say, since the chances of him being in Sochi are small to non-existent. Unless, of course, he is talking about being there as a spectator.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Easy for him to say, since the chances of him being in Sochi are small to non-existent. Unless, of course, he is talking about being there as a spectator.

LOL it seems everyone is in agreement in this case. What is he even talking about the Olympics exactly. A better question though would be if he goes as a spectator would he be putting himself at greater risk of being arrrested than in the impossible fantasy he was going there as an athlete to compete? Now if he goes as a spectator in that case I will applaud his courage more, rather than the based upon nothing PR propaganda he is currently engaging in.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
He has said in the CBC broadcast that he would go anyway to cheer on the team. I could see NBC possibly using him as a commentator, but maybe now they might think he's too controversial.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I just want to know if Johnny plans on competing this year. I've been assuming the answer was no, because he wasn't listed for any senior B or Skate America assignments.

If he wants to go to Nationals this year, would he have to do regionals/sectionals first?

lavender

Record Breaker
That is what is most laughable here. The report acts like there is even a remote possability of him making the U.S Olympic team. Last year when he started his comeback I might have said there is a tiny chance, like 3%. Right now there is something below zero chance of him making it (and that has nothing to do with the whole Russia gay laws, but his poor comeback attempt last year, the U.S men having only 2 spots, that he didnt even get a grand prix assignment, etc...)

ITA. I had hope for him until I saw him skate last season. I do think Johnny can do all the jumps but just not in a long program. I just don’t think he has the stamina to successfully complete a long program like he use to. To get in that kind of shape to you have to be seriously committed. I just don’t see Johnny being in that space. Of course I could be wrong but I just don’t think I am.

Plus…

-there are only 2 spots
-the U.S. judges are willing to go with anyone who can successfully land quads and not so much the total package

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think Johnny will for sure go to Russia as a spectator. And he will for sure get some interview opportunities. What a great chance to stay in spotlight! He will not miss it. As of getting arrested, he won't, I'm sure. He will not attempt Russia's new law while he was there. I don't think NBC will ask him to commentate any event though.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
he will not be arrested, anyways even with his diva antics, he also has a bit of followers in Russia
and he is a Russophile but problem is, he has almost 0% of making the Olympics Team

maybe go as a spectator with his Russian Mr. Voronov husband

gkelly

Record Breaker
If he wants to go to Nationals this year, would he have to do regionals/sectionals first?

Yes, unless

*he gets an international assignment that conflicts with one or the other (not sure how likely that is)
or
*there are four or fewer senior men in his region (this is often the case for senior men) and he chooses to advance directly to sectionals

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wow I had forgotten he has to qualify for Nationals. I dont see him ever going through that process, so I think that all but guarantees he is not skating this season. He has no international assignments so the conflicting part isnt going to happen for him.

Redstone

Rinkside
I hate the new law but Johnny will nobe arrested unless he waves the rainbow flag in the face of the pre-schoolers or something. Tbh, I doubt the law will be used at all

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nice to stand up for his values but there is a huge problem - how likely is it Johnny Weir will make it to Sochi - unless he is paying for a trip himself I don't think he will make it witht he state of American skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm sure he'll find a way to get there. He's hugely popular in Russia.

It is actually an interesting scenario because he is most likely to be vocal about gay rights with impunity. I'm not expecting him to take a stand for gay people in Sochi, but he's probably one of the few individuals who could "get away with it". Throwing him and his partner in jail would only exacerbate and create scandal. Although Russia is naive to think that conversation about LGBT rights or shows of support will not happen during the Olympics, let alone from everybody, not just Weir.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No one will be arrested unless its a grave public scandal or hooliganism that's about it
No one is being arrested at current World Athletics in Moscow despite some athletes throwing support like dedicated the silver medal or painting rainbow nailpolish; nor will this happen to Wier even if he is such a drama queen

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
or he wants to make them feel pressure that Weir will come out with "I wasnt picked due to the gay rights in Sochi thing" if he doesnt make the team (which he wasnt going to make anyway, but now he has something to blame if he skates halfway decent at Nationals). I might applaud this coming from someone else, especialy an athlete who actually was likely, or had a legitimate chance to be in Sochi, but from him it is just a clear agenda pushing and pot disturbing attempt.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
or he wants to make them feel pressure that Weir will come out with "I wasnt picked due to the gay rights in Sochi thing" if he doesnt make the team (which he wasnt going to make anyway, but now he has something to blame if he skates halfway decent at Nationals). I might applaud this coming from someone else, especialy an athlete who actually was likely, or had a legitimate chance to be in Sochi, but from him it is just a clear agenda pushing and pot disturbing attempt.

:laugh:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Poor Johnny! Always fell into victim of politics in skating. Last time in 2010, he wasn't able to be on the Olympic podium was because "they won't allow two skaters from the same country on the podium. Evan Lysacek was on there, so he couldn't be on there.":popcorn:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
with his statements and their current law, couldn't Russia just revoke or deny Weir his VISA to travel into Russia?