What are programs that have (pleasantly) surprised you? | Golden Skate

What are programs that have (pleasantly) surprised you?

w_darling

On the Ice
It seems that sometimes in our zealous discussions, we on this forum become so fixated on being right that threads seem to devolve into the same old quarrels. So in the interest of some laid-back fun, when are times that you've been proven wrong about a program, only for it to be oh-so-right? What are programs that have, against all your predictions, pleasantly surprised you? Whether it be by an obscure music choice, or even a more common piece that you didn't expect to fit a particular skater's style (sometimes, it seems to me that our opinions of particular skaters tend to get calcified over time, perhaps a bit unfairly), or a combination of skater/music/choreographer that worked out unexpectedly well -- I'd love to hear both the reasons for your initial apprehensions and prejudices as well as why, in the end, you found yourself actually enjoying the performance!

For my part, the most recent and significant surprise for me was Carolina's Bolero program this past season. To be honest, Caro had not been one of my personal favorite skaters and I, like many, was wary of her decision to use Bolero. Even at the beginning of the season it took awhile for her choreography to warm up to me but her performances throughout the season eventually won me over. As far as I observed on this forum, it seemed that those who didn't like the program seemed to criticize it as lacking in transitions and other elements. While I tend to defer to other posters' technical knowledge and such, in the case of Caro's Bolero I personally appreciated how every movement seemed to have such definite purpose and was meant to exactly punctuate the music with such relentless drive. It's a bit hard for me to articulate but I think with the COP system there is a tendency to forget that there can be artistry and drama even in a more precise economy of motion and in negative space. Even I am susceptible to this stylistic prejudice out of my usual preferences but, despite all this, Caro's Bolero truly drew me in.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I agree whole-heartedly with what you said about Carolina's Bolero. Absolutely stunning, and surprisingly so. That program basically said, "I am a diva, and I will let you know it."

Off the top of my head:

1. Irina Slutskaya - Samson & Delilah
    No one would really ever describe Irina as artistic. Her smiles on the ice were always, lovely, yes, but she was always considered much more of a technician than an artist. Her Samson & Delilah program came as a complete surprise to me. The program itself was quite beautiful (minus the laying on the ice part), and it leaves me wondering why her other programs were never like this.
  2. Mao Asada - Scheherazade
    I had some reservations about this program right after it was announced--her Liebstraume program was elegance personified, but her SP for the 2010-2011 season had been absolutely uninspired/boring/bland. Also, I was a bit apprehensive of the music choice, given that her rival had skated to it in the pre-Olympic season and had left quite an impression with it. As it turned out, Tarasova knew what she was doing with this program. This music cut was not like any other we've heard in recent years. It was whimsical and light, which fit Mao's skating style completely. Her first costume for this program matched the music well--I don't know why she changed to that atrocious turquoise blue thing. But I absolutely love this program.
  3. Virtue/Moir - Carmen
    My first thought was definitely: "Oh no, another Carmen." This seemed to be one of those programs that people either loved or hated. I hated it at first (tacky, sloppy), but learned to love it (more passion and less sloppy by Worlds). It is incredibly different to what they've skated to before, and really, different from any other on-ice interpretation we've seen before. It's pretty much the opposite of Mahler's Symphony No. 5 (and what happens after, perhaps).

What a GREAT idea for a thread! It's a wonderful way for us to shake ourselves loose from preconceived frameworks, both by thinking of things that surprised us and by paying attention to the programs mentioned by other posters.

Speaking of Samson and Delilah, I was really taken by Joannie Rochette's interpretation of the music for 2010. I was lucky enough to view the performance at Canadian Nationals (on YouTube, I think--can't remember how I thought to seek it out), which was truly splendid. It made me realize how fluid a skater she is. Instant admiration! By the time the Olympics rolled around, much as I was rooting for Mirai and Rachael, I couldn't resent Joannie's bronze because I recognized the work of a mature athlete/artist.

Rachael: Awhile ago, I saw an early competition of hers that was done to a piece of Brahms chamber music, I believe. This is the moment I awoke to her musicality. I learned to look for it in her later work.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
ITA Bolero. Caro is a Goddess. Her style and look on the ice is amazing. No one looks like her. Mao moves likea butterfly princess, but caro is every inch the Queen that YuNa gets credit for. For me YuNa is a swift animal-cheetah, gazelle, grehound. I can't really describe her. I love her upper body fluidity. I was very happy and surprised that Les Mis LP was as good as old YuNa. I just expected some jitters at worlds,, or mistakes, but she performed it even better than nationals.

I hink When Ashley became the crazy black swan, I stood up and took more notice. I always liked her, but then I was more, Wow, this girl can truly perform while doing triple jumps. I have to say an astonishing performance was Akiko's 'O". She truly convinced me she was a bird. Why the judges are not crazy for this woman I will never know. She is the most musical skater out there. I love her look. And she may not be the Goddess that Shizuka is, but she is definitely a princess in her elegant movement. No triple axels but I rate her up there with Mao, Miki, Shiz, Yuka, and Ito. For me she is one of the great Japanese ladies of the last 15 years. Oh, forgot the to die for nakano in my group of incredibles. Japan has got it going on in singles, that is for sure.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
One program that surprised me and surpassed my expectation is Yuna's Kiss of Vampire. When the music was initially announced, I google the old movie and listened it on youtube, I dont like it, mainly due to the disturbing melody. However when Yuna debuted this program. I instantly fall in love, I like the music editing. I like the idea of Yuna playing the victim instead of vampire. I like the creativity of the choreography. To me, it portraits the transition of a girl experienced from bitten by a vampire to transformed and reborn as a vampire really well. There are so many creative gestures (e.g. pushing away vampire's manipulating, becoming sensitive and hiding from day-light etc.) and subtle changes of Yuna's facial expression (from initial suffering to the cunning looks after she transformed into a vampire) is so spot on. And the makeup and creative costume (design the resembles blood etc.) just add more points to this creative, adventurous, out-of-box program. And Yuna's performance and interpretation is just fabulous, I am holding my breath the whole time whenever I watch it.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
D/W's Notre-Dame de Paris FD. After Skate America and Skate Canada, I thought no way in hell will D/W's FD be a match to V/M's Carmen, which I loved for its originality and whole concept at first sight. However, at NHK trophy (I think they made some changes from SA) I was blown away. I instantly fell in love with that FD and it matched Die Fledermaus FD in my book. I am not even a big D/W fan and yet their tango was the only program of them I didn't like (especially after the changes they made since nationals).
Another one is Carolina's Allegretto from Trio No. 2 Sp. I thought the music is impossible to skate to. She proved me wrong.

babayaga

On the Ice
For me, such a surprise was Rachael Flatt's East of Eden. I did not expect much at all and was prepared to see something cringe-worthy, but she performed it beautifully at Nationals. I was very very surprised and even re-watched that performance several times.

Lota

Record Breaker
D/W's Notre-Dame de Paris FD.

Same for me. I remember when I saw it in SA, it seemed so... forced. It was almost painful to watch. But then when I saw it in NHK... BAM! Love from the second sight.

Also, W/P's Je Suis Malade. I had never cared much for this team, but... The first time I saw this routine was during the GPF. I was bawling my eyes out along with Kaitlyn by the end :laugh: Anyway, a fan of theirs ever since.

I also found C/B's Doctor Zhivago routine to be charming. The first and last lifts...

RABID

Final Flight
Wow, everyone must have forgotten where they were March 17.... Probably THE sports story of 2013 and right up there as one of the greatest figure skating stories ever. Yuna's "Les Miz" wasn't just the best of that night it was one of the most triumphant sports-comeback stories EVER. It won't be acknowledged by the media (so obsessed are they with with the $money sports$) as such come the end of the year but if it was baseball, soccer, football, etc and if she was American it would be. Yes one expects a high caliber performance every time Yuna skates but I don't care how high ones expectations are when someone gives an iconic performance for the history books it is a little more than pleasantly surprising and it is at least that. Or maybe I am being unfair to the spirit of this thread considering the term "pleasantly surprising" and Yuna Kim hasn't been uttered in the same sentence since 2005.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
1) D/W Notre-Dame: I frankly didn't like it at SA, but I agree that from NHK :eek::love:
2) Caro's Mozart Concerto: I didn't think it was going to be really a wonderful program for her when I read the music the first time but then it became (for me) her best program so far!
3) Miki's Gabriel's Oboe: she changed her SP in the middle of the season, so I thought that it was going to be just a Morozov-rushed program, just with a better music than the previous one, but she really proved me wrong, because now I consider it her best SP!
4) S/S Pina: at SA, I didn't really "understand" it, but as the season progressed it really became an incredible program!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For me, such a surprise was Rachael Flatt's East of Eden. I did not expect much at all and was prepared to see something cringe-worthy, but she performed it beautifully at Nationals. I was very very surprised and even re-watched that performance several times.

Yes, that really was a great performance. She paid special attention to the music and choreographic details and really ATTACKED it. The ina bauer was stunning and I loved how the program made use of shorter backward spirals that were perfect for maximizing Rachael's line and emphasizing the lovely, nostalgic quality of the music. It was also nice how she only attempted a Level 2 Layback spin, showing just pure positions (she actually has quite a nice classic layback position) without any catch-foots. That worked great with the music, especially with the transitions she did before it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblFFfKbkLk

w_darling

On the Ice
Or maybe I am being unfair to the spirit of this thread considering the term "pleasantly surprising" and Yuna Kim hasn't been uttered in the same sentence since 2005.

:laugh: I personally wouldn't describe her programs as "surprising" in and of themselves. While I admit I was anxious about her comeback, it was more as an avid fan worrying about a dear favorite (yes, I admit I am a secret Yuna uber, lol; I try not to be too unfairly biased though). Yuna's had so many great programs with David Wilson that I had (possibly irrational) faith that the programs would still be pretty good (even though they still aren't amongst my favorite Yuna programs). To be honest, I think if her Les Mis program does go down in the figure skating annals as "iconic" it would be more about the circumstances surrounding the performance rather than the program itself ... but that's just my opinion (I never did fully reconcile myself with those music cuts, welp).

I'm so grateful for all these other recommendations. Irina's Samson & Delilah has such a surprising sensitivity to it and Rachael's East of Eden is :love: I became a (very) casual FS fan during the last Olympics and since then have been slowly been building up on my FS love as well as trying to retroactively make up for the lost time. I admit that with her Olympic results and my own general ignorance at the time (protocols? what protocols?), I was more quickly charmed by Mirai's on-ice personality and then more absorbed in the drama of her struggles to live up to that potential -- thus, often overlooking Rachael when it came to the U.S. women's field. That was a lovely performance by Rachael though and one that I think that I shall also revisit in the future.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Ooh, just thought of another one.

Fleur Maxwell - Toxic

"Don't judge a book by its cover" certainly comes into play here.
I was pleasantly surprised by this not because this program didn't fit her skating nor was it because the music was obscure--I didn't even know who Fleur Maxwell was! I had happened on this video by chance, and when I looked her up after watching this performance, I immediately understood why. In her three appearances at Worlds representing Luxembourg, her highest placement was 29th. But, I digress. The cover of Britney Spears's "Toxic" she skated to was haunting, mysterious, enchanting, and whimsical all rolled up into one. Fleur used this to her advantage costume-wise (I love the mask) and skating-wise. She showcased her flexibility (she's a bit like Julia Lipnitskaya but with musicality) with brief usage of props. So never count a lower-ranked skater out; they can pull off lovely programs as well!

Or maybe I am being unfair to the spirit of this thread ...

Re-read the original post?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
In no particular order under the COP era

Wagner's Black Swan - It was one of the best program that season that sealed her as US's leading lady, I seem to recall she had 5 kind of triples at worlds and it was a good balanced program just missing a 3:3. Thought she was under marked in PCS compare with Lenova. When I heard the movie was being made, I suspected we will see many revival of the ballet for figure skating but didn't think it would be as good/modernised as it did. Ando did a version for exhibition in the same year which was just Zzzz..

Hanyu's Romeo and Juliet. It is the benchmark for every male 16 years old skater now. Yes he was technically brilliant, but I just love the emotion integrated seamlessly with the music and the feelings behind them. Is it luck or just great art direction or packaging? His next year programs paled in comparison.

Virtue/Moir's Carmen. I have always maintained it is not about what music/theme one chose to do, but what you do with it. They were simply sensational, spectacular, creative and brave. Soo exciting. I actually like the earlier version of Carmen more since it was more raw, fresh and risk taking. For me it is not about the polish or the technique, the levels but about the possibilities, essences identified and realised and how it makes you feel. The pair absolutely pushed the envelopes for ice dancing. If PCS are to adapt artistic merit correctly (difficulty, versatility, originality, creativity etc.) They'd be world champions.

Weaver/Poje Je Suis Malade. Passion and lust exemplified, it was quite a moving experience. The program simply worked.

Davis/White Bollywood song. The program was fun and infectious and just lovely, surprised Bollywood made figure skating so late. I have a weird affinity with Bollywood music/movie ever since attending an Indian wedding a few years back and it is very accessible in Britain.

Patrick's Elegie in E-flat major - Major eye opener to the artistic potentials of Patrick Chan. It was sensitive, subtle, mature, pensive and moving, totally didn't expect it. A great way to answer back all his critics at worlds after another controversial win (is there no lack in controversy with him?). Not sure the decision to keep it as a competitive program for the next 2 season now... you are a world champion, go and get some new material for goodness sake.

Mao's Jupiter exhibition - Very moving tribute that is honest and sincere, pure and serene. Mao has always been a very transparent skater. It is her strength but also weakness.

Flatt's East of Eden - Saw it as a exhibition in Boston where she was more relaxed and more into the performance. I was surprised how good and expressive it was, possibly her best program. Received all sort of unfair criticism at the time including colour of costume which was ahead of time, that honeysuckle colour is a trend colour - see Pantone colour of the year last 3 years. Look at how Kostner and Wagner's adaptation of it.)

Jeremy Abbott's Exogenesis - If there's any programs that defines him, imo this is it. Huge fan of anyone who has input into their own choreography (Or even compose their own music, sew their own costumes, do their own make up etc, the more input the better) Best decision ever to bring it back for the Olympic seasons, hopefully it get to fulfill its potentials.

Pretty much every competitive program Yuna has produced year end (even there are things I am less fond of). I love that there is nothing safe or predictable about her choices from one year to the next. Never being formulaic at great risk which pretty much troublesome compare to what every one else is doing consider difficulty, versatility, experimentation, originality are not rewarded under COP. I like how they seems to come in pairs in an unpredictable way. Contrast between the free spirited Tango de Roxanne/vulnerable delicate little Lark Ascending, Goddess of Death in Danse Macabre celebrate afterlife/ Wisdom and hope of a self sacrificing Queen Scherazade fight for life. Bond was her world wide blockbuster/Gershwin feels like an elitist art movie for the critics circle. Giselle was an adaptation of a well known ballet story/Homage o Korea was 'Han' expressed for the new age. Kiss of the Vampire was a practice in found object, find the most obscure Hammers horror movie sound effects to compete against the world's best well known master works/Les Mis was simply epic, dramatic, ambitious, emotional, and self reflective as it should. As well as beloved thanks to the WC performance. She avoids utilize familiar pleasant easy listening version of the music with ready built audience to take care of her performance or the emotions, but often about harnesses these unfamiliar music cuts like a new music collage to present her new take despite of them.

Daisuke's 2011-12 season programs: In the garden of souls, Blues for klooks. There might be artists out there, but he was simply a maestro that season and brought much needed relevance (modernism, contemporary, sense of experimentation and play, jazz and blues, simply cool) to bring men's figure skating bang up to date (The rest feels like boys next to him). Unfortunately last season even the world's best Maestro can't make 'suck' work. I really like his choices this season though, can't wait to see them, hopefully with a 'pleasant' surprise.

Karen Chen's US Nationals Exhibition program Butterfly dance with 2 fans. Can't believe it is a novice level program. Simply lovely, charismatic future superstar. I disagree with what Dave Lease said about her at the recent TSL This and that. I guess we will see in the future who's more wrong :cool:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Somehow, any time a junior skater debuts in seniors, and you've never seen them before, and they are already marvelous, it's eye-opening surprising.

In that vein,
Yu'Na's Lark Ascending

Jason Brown 2011 SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTW6dT3Yjc
(At the LP I was not surprised, but it was also fabulous. This came up as blocked, :cry: but perhaps not in your country)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H-dV6aww4&list=PL8A69878AF6497D88

Sometimes I'm surprised when I didn't think a skater had it in them.

Zhang & Zhang's On Wings of Song SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwHhOv_KBKI

Rachael's East of Eden (already mentioned) at US Nationals 2011

Ryan Bradley Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy at US Nationals 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOuuvksxOp8

Sometimes I'm happily surprised when a team I already like does something different than their usual line of country successfully
Virtue & Moir 2009 Pink Floyd (a similar but earlier surprise than their Carmen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdkVtCQQHdE

Davis & White 2012 Skate America Giselle SD (who knew you could do a polka ballet :) And who knew they could do ballet at all ) A similar surprise to their Bollywood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI3DBfopgc

Two changes in major contenders that might not be thought of a surprises now, because these competitors are so superior that we must always have known it.

Michelle Kwan's Salome: the year she stopped skating like a child and suddenly was an artistically mature skater.

The first time Shen and Zhao skate as emotionally connected artists, not just powerful athletes. Could it have been Turandot in 2003? What a quantum leap.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
At first, I didn't like Bobrova/Soloviev's FD last season, then it grew on me. Same with their SD to Tom Jones in 2010-11. I can't think of any others right now.