What Is Going On With The Michelle Kwan Forum? | Golden Skate

What Is Going On With The Michelle Kwan Forum?

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I have not visited it in a few years. Now every move you make you get assaulted by spam-bots-you name it. Also, as recently as last season, I downloaded Heather's famous TV schedule of skating events, when and where they are televised etc. I can not find that this year. SO my main question is, is Heather, the original founder, O.K.?
-------------
My next statement/question is whoever is in charge IDK how they let it go that far downhill.
I WOULD post a link here, but I am afraid somebody's computer/phone might get wrecked. If you go to look it up don't click on ANYTHING that pops up, just click to turn it OFF.
Sadly, it looks to be an internet graveyard of a once-great page!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I used to visit that forum, but a few years ago someone warned me not to click on the link (due to someone trying to sabotage the site?). I hope Heather is OK. Her figure skating schedule was very useful. I would share it with my skating fan friends who were interested in following fs events on TV.

A while back of a couple of trolls took over the site (it might have been one troll with multiple accounts), posting negaitive things about Michelle and riling everyone up. In addition the site has always had trouble with hackers, redirects, etc. I got the feeling that no one was minding the store any more and that the forum now exists "in name only."

I believe that Grace ran the forum after Heather retired from active management. For a brief time an interested poster named Teach23 made an effort to revive th site just as a regular poster. But I don't think that anyone is running it now. I haven't visited for some time.

The Forum was somewhat active, although with a greatly reduced membership, for quite a while after Michelle retired from skating. A few fans were interested in keeping up with Michelle's other activities, education, sports dip;lomacy, involvement in politics, etc. A few people also visited Heathers's main site for news, TV schedules and archived material.

Nothing is forever. :(

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
The Forum was somewhat active, although with a greatly reduced membership, for quite a while after Michelle retired from skating. A few fans were interested in keeping up with Michelle's other activities, education, sports dip;lomacy, involvement in politics, etc. A few people also visited Heathers's main site for news, TV schedules and archived material.

Nothing is forever. :(
Funny how we can get so attached to certain forums. I loved the Sasha Fans forum also. Yes, the MK forum hung in there for about 5 years after she retired. When Michelle pulled up to the boards to talk to her coach during her most recent try at the Olympics, it simply broke my heart. I know it did that to everybody on there. I think it was that exact moment that she figured that she just couldn't do it anymore. "My body betrayed me." When I saw her at a COI/Tom Collins performance (2005) I was moved to an embarrassing level. EVERYBODY was there! The place crackled with the excitement of the Games to come. Oh well.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's sad to hear. I used to post on there quite a bit, even though several of the regulars were downright mean. (If you ever said anything remotely positive about Tara or Sasha, you were pretty much blacklisted.) Still, it was a good forum for skating talk. And I hope that Heather is okay...
I think Heather is ok. She updated her skating on tv page (or someone did.)

Golden Skate actually owes a dept to the old Micelle Kwan forum. I am pretty sure that in 1998 Heather sent out messages to the membership (or allowed our Paula to do so) saying that there is a new general skating forum getting underway -- Golden Skate. That was how I heard about GS, although it had already been in existence for a couple of years on a different platform.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I haven't visited the MK Forum in years. As a Maria Butyrskaya fan boy, I used to get flamed when I'd say something nice about Maria. I remember they were very passionate when Michelle guest hosted on The View.
i think any fan of any skater tends to be very passionate. That's why our threads can be quite antagonistic. Skating fans are loyal and fierce. it would be great to have updates about Michelle and what she is doing - hey the same for Maria B. Who can forget 1999?? Maria B beat Michelle fair and square with beautiful skating.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i think any fan of any skater tends to be very passionate. That's why our threads can be quite antagonistic. Skating fans are loyal and fierce. it would be great to have updates about Michelle and what she is doing - hey the same for Maria B. Who can forget 1999?? Maria B beat Michelle fair and square with beautiful skating.
I wouldn't exactly say "antagonistic," but if you post an opinion in Edge, it is subject to cross-examination. I like that. it keeps the forum honest and educational.

handlem9z

Rinkside
I use to post there on a regular basis. I even went to a MKF luncheon at the US Championships in St. Louis. Michelle was abled to compete due to injury but was awarded a spot on the Olympic team. It's sad to hear that the forum has fallen. It's been years since I posted here or in MKF. I hope all is well with all of you.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
& if you don't want your opinion/news/whatever cross-examined the there is a place for you called the Fan Fest threads
I respect that rule, as it provides a place for pure celebration.

I used to roll my eyes at Fan Fest, but I've relaxed my personal stance on that. They're often a place where news about programs, technical skills, coaching changes, etc first hit the GS forums. That's logical because regular FF contributors follow their favorites more closely. I'm interested in those things.

Photos of skaters and their pets and similar content - not so much. But I can scroll right on past those posts, accepting that others DO value them.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoy reading about the MK Forum, even if I never visited myself.

And veering off, one of my favorite places in Goldenskate are the Fan Fests. :clap:

When it comes to my opinions, and I'm perfectly capable of taking on all comers in the Edge. ;) But sometimes you just don't feel like it, and a Fan Fest is a refreshing oasis of like minded souls. And ones that usually know the history of the skater, or are willing to share.

I'm usually not that interested in a surfeit of personal photos (beach photos in particular, and god, some of these skaters love their beach photos. I love the beach, but I have never taken that many photos of myself "down the shore":biggrin:) but for those who do like them, hey, party on! Like my friend Tonto, I can just skip to next post. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow. To be honest, I'm surprised that the MKF had stuck around as long as it did.

I think I was posting there before I even knew about GS...this was early 2002...