What skating "used to be" | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What skating "used to be"

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Makes me even gladder to be a modern day FS fan, tbh. That whole figures thing sounds so bad in terms of following the competition. I mean, even now, when skaters are starting to win with the short, it feels weird, I can’t imagine going into both short and free with a foregone conclusion who the winner is.

gkelly

Record Breaker
That is freeskating. Note the spin.

I'm sure that the word "figures" in the title card referred to the fact that this was part of the sport of figure skating.

The word "figures" could be used to refer to any skating move earlier in the sport's history. "Compulsory figures" (or "school figures"), however, were very specific patterns that were laid out in the rulebook and that every competitor had to skate exactly the same, in a separate phase of competition. Pair skating never had that phase.

Here's a book (in French) about the various sports at the 1924 Olympics:

On p. 644, note that the Concours de Figures (figure [skating] competition) for Messieurs and Dames consisted of 6 different "Figures imposees" (compulsory figures) along with "Figures libres" (free figures, or freeskating) of 5 minutes for men and 4 for women.

The Couples competition consisted of Figures libres only, for 5 minutes. No compulsory phase.

There were 41 school figures in the "school" and they were numbered 1-41. Most could be started on either the left or the right foot, which is why you see them listed at the link above with numbers such as 20a and 20b. At the 1924 Olympics, the men had to do 12 different figures -- 6 different kinds, each started both on the right and on the left foot. The women only had to skate 11 figures, because one of the ones chosen -- #13, back inside double threes -- is symmetrical, already skated on the same edge on each foot by the nature of that particular pattern. (It is also, as you might guess by the lower number, an easier figure -- more appropriate for novice level by the later part of the 20th century.)

The pairs didn't have to do any compulsory figures, which is why you don't see any listed in this book.

See also http://www.winter-olympic-memories.com/html/results/results_top_en.htm and compare the 1924 results for "Mens Single" and "Ladies Single," which list results for Compulsory Figures and Free Skating, vs. "Pairs," which lists only one competition phase.

Of course, most pair skating competitors had also trained as singles skaters, at least up to a point, so they could do most or all of the skills used in compulsory figures and they could incorporate those skills into their pair programs, with modifications to make them work for two skaters. Singles skaters could also adapt those skills to fit into freeskating programs, with modifications. They're just basic edges and turns, after all, which made up a large part of the technical content of freeskating programs before jumps and spins became more important.

But the compulsory figures were specific patterns edges and turns. If a skater practices those skills in a different pattern or incorporates them into the context of a freeskating program, they're practicing or incorporating skills used in compulsory figures, but they would not be competing in compulsory figures unless they were competing in a competition that included that competition phase (pair skating never did), nor practicing the compulsory figures if they mixed and matched parts of the compulsory patterns into different sequences. (In the late 19th-early 20th century, or in the 21st century at non-ISU figures competitions, they might have been practicing or competing "special figures" or "fancy figures" -- creative, more complicated patterns using those skills. Again, not compulsory.)

More about school figures:
https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/Compulsory Figures Rules.pdf (see the diagrams at the end for the very specific patterns used for compulsory figure competitions)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is freeskating. Note the spin.

I'm sure that the word "figures" in the title card referred to the fact that this was part of the sport of figure skating.

The word "figures" could be used to refer to any skating move earlier in the sport's history. "Compulsory figures" (or "school figures"), however, were very specific patterns that were laid out in the rulebook and that every competitor had to skate exactly the same, in a separate phase of competition. Pair skating never had that phase.

Here's a book (in French) about the various sports at the 1924 Olympics:

On p. 644, note that the Concours de Figures (figure [skating] competition) for Messieurs and Dames consisted of 6 different "Figures imposees" (compulsory figures) along with "Figures libres" (free figures, or freeskating) of 5 minutes for men and 4 for women.

The Couples competition consisted of Figures libres only, for 5 minutes. No compulsory phase.

There were 41 school figures in the "school" and they were numbered 1-41. Most could be started on either the left or the right foot, which is why you see them listed at the link above with numbers such as 20a and 20b. At the 1924 Olympics, the men had to do 12 different figures -- 6 different kinds, each started both on the right and on the left foot. The women only had to skate 11 figures, because one of the ones chosen -- #13, back inside double threes -- is symmetrical, already skated on the same edge on each foot by the nature of that particular pattern. (It is also, as you might guess by the lower number, an easier figure -- more appropriate for novice level by the later part of the 20th century.)

The pairs didn't have to do any compulsory figures, which is why you don't see any listed in this book.

See also http://www.winter-olympic-memories.com/html/results/results_top_en.htm and compare the 1924 results for "Mens Single" and "Ladies Single," which list results for Compulsory Figures and Free Skating, vs. "Pairs," which lists only one competition phase.

Of course, most pair skating competitors had also trained as singles skaters, at least up to a point, so they could do most or all of the skills used in compulsory figures and they could incorporate those skills into their pair programs, with modifications to make them work for two skaters. Singles skaters could also adapt those skills to fit into freeskating programs, with modifications. They're just basic edges and turns, after all, which made up a large part of the technical content of freeskating programs before jumps and spins became more important.

But the compulsory figures were specific patterns edges and turns. If a skater practices those skills in a different pattern or incorporates them into the context of a freeskating program, they're practicing or incorporating skills used in compulsory figures, but they would not be competing in compulsory figures unless they were competing in a competition that included that competition phase (pair skating never did), nor practicing the compulsory figures if they mixed and matched parts of the compulsory patterns into different sequences. (In the late 19th-early 20th century, or in the 21st century at non-ISU figures competitions, they might have been practicing or competing "special figures" or "fancy figures" -- creative, more complicated patterns using those skills. Again, not compulsory.)

More about school figures:
https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/Compulsory Figures Rules.pdf (see the diagrams at the end for the very specific patterns used for compulsory figure competitions)
It says it’s figures. It’s figures.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It says it’s figures. It’s figures.
In the same sense that the freeskating by the singles skaters was "free figures."

It is NOT "compulsory figures." Pairs never skated compulsory figures. This is a fact, for which I have provided ample evidence.

The phrase "compulsory figures" has a much more specific meaning than just the word "figures" -- although the latter was sometimes used to refer to the former, especially later in the 20th century.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the same sense that the freeskating by the singles skaters was "free figures."

It is NOT "compulsory figures." Pairs never skated compulsory figures. This is a fact, for which I have provided ample evidence.

The phrase "compulsory figures" has a much more specific meaning than just the word "figures" -- although the latter was sometimes used to refer to the former, especially later in the 20th century.
Well, I’m not an expert, so Uncle!

I say bring back "Special Figures." Nikolai Panin won the 1908 Olympic gold medal in this discipline, the only time it was part of the Olymp[ics. (Panin also competed in the 1912 Olympics in pistol shooting, finishing eighth.)

Victor Petrenko once had a pro exhibition program where he did an Iron Cross in the middle of the routine. :rock:

Sime of those old time pairs programs featured intricate pairs spins and even jumps in hold. You had to be nimble to do a pairs spin in Kllian hold! :bow:

Last edited:

Sharon Whitlock

Rinkside
I know Jason Brown, Nathan Chen even, but Jason Chen?!?! :palmf:
Oops, sorry. My mind is off-kilter. Too much overtime at work and a new IS that all of us are struggling with. Plus still dealing with a lot of grief over my husband (died of COVID the day after Christmas). The counselor says that the brain attempt to block out the awfulness of the death and aftermath, and in the process, ends up blocking out other stuff that's stored in the brain. Hopefully someday my brain will learn to block the icky stuff but leave the good stuff--like Nathan Chen!

Sharon Whitlock

Rinkside
To me, it's a question of which is the cause an which is the effect. Has skating lost popularity as a spectator sport because it is not promoted properly by the television networks? Or do the televiaion networks ignore skating because it is not popular any more?

As for catty and annoying announcers, the football commentating team of Howard Cosell and Don Meredith was on the air for many years, yet people still tuned in for the Super Bowl.
Great question, and definitely worth pondering.

I also think that the current corporate sponsors of figure skating (God bless them all!) aren't exactly...exciting. It's a shame they don't create ads that involve figure skating; e.g., Consumer Cellular could show proud grandparents receiving a face time call from their daughter or son showing them with their medal won at a figure skating competition, and even better, show the skater on the podium with the National Anthem playing in the background--now THAT would be an appealing ad that would make both figure skating AND the product appealing.

It's a shame they don't create ads that involve figure skating; e.g., Consumer Cellular could show proud grandparents receiving a face time call from their daughter or son showing them with their medal won at a figure skating competition, and even better, show the skater on the podium with the National Anthem playing in the background--now THAT would be an appealing ad that would make both figure skating AND the product appealing.
The all-time great figure skating-related comercial was one for Hallmark Cards. Did you ever see it? A little girl is about to go onto the ice for her first competition. Her mother gives her two cards and says: "Open this one if you win...and open this one if you don't."

As soon as the mother turns her back the daughter opens the first card: "Do you know how special you are?" And inside, "I do."

Then she opens the pther card. "Do you know how special you are?" "I do."

Commercial closes with the yuoung skater doing her layback.

(I am a sucker for stuff like that. :) )

Sharon Whitlock

Rinkside
I remember the Campbells Soup Ad with the skater having a hot cup of soup at rinkside during a break. What's funny is that when my daughters were doing competitive synchro and practiced on weekends in Chicago early EARLY in the morning, the skating moms would fix up a huge crockpot full of...SOUP! When the skaters had their short break, they would rush out into the lobby and ladle out styrofoam cups (sorry, environmentalists!) of delicious hot soup!

So that ad was based on reality!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The skating commercial I remember was the one of Nobunari Oda dressed as a fried egg. I believe it was an ad for non-stick cookwear.

I couldn't find the video, so maybe I am misremembering it. Or making the whole thing up.
I remember seeing it on YouTube! It was amazing and hilarious.

Plushy was in an Russian commercial for Chupa-chups, no figure skating was involved though.

There should be more ads with figure skating in them. I know it would catch my attention 😉

I remember the Campbells Soup Ad with the skater having a hot cup of soup at rinkside during a break. What's funny is that when my daughters were doing competitive synchro and practiced on weekends in Chicago early EARLY in the morning, the skating moms would fix up a huge crockpot full of...SOUP! When the skaters had their short break, they would rush out into the lobby and ladle out styrofoam cups (sorry, environmentalists!) of delicious hot soup!

(Sull'aria...che soave zeffiretto... :) )

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
TBH, most people don’t know a hoot about figure skating.

A week or two ago, I did the New York Times Crossword and one of the clues was “A skating leap”. It was 4 letters. I put axel, because it’s always axel. Yeah that’s not the correct term, and yeah “lutz” could have been an option, but it’s always axel.

I will be emailing Will Shortz. (NYT Crossword Editor)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

A week or two ago, I did the New York Times Crossword and one of the clues was “A skating leap”. It was 4 letters. I put axel, because it’s always axel. Yeah that’s not the correct term, and yeah “lutz” could have been an option, but it’s always axel.

I will be emailing Will Shortz. (NYT Crossword Editor)

Sadly Will Shortz does not listen to us peons. It is always axel.

And (Midor)i Ito. Then again, as far as the NYT crossword is concerned, hockey stopped with Orr and baseball stopped with Ott or the Alou brothers, so it could be worse.:biggrin:

I put "loop."