What was the WORST skating interview? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What was the WORST skating interview?

S

SkateFan4Life

barbk said:
The interview with Todd Eldredge after he finished fourth in Nagano. Just horrible -- but I don't remember who conducted the interview.

And from the skater angle, almost any interview of Jenny Kirk, because while her skating was beautiful her voice is squeaky beyond belief.

Cheers,
Barb K.

I have to agree with you regarding Jenny Kirk's voice. She sounds like a ten-year-old little girl, not a 21-year-old young woman.

A number of Nancy Kerrigan interviews also come to mind as being less than stellar. Nancy hemmed and hawed, shugged her shoulders, and generally gave the impression that she wasn't exactly fluent in the English language.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
barbk said:
The interview with Todd Eldredge after he finished fourth in Nagano. Just horrible -- but I don't remember who conducted the interview.

Cheers,
Barb K.

Barb, I just can't bear to go back and watch Todd's free skate from Nagano again. I'll :cry: too much, but are you referring to an interview right after he skated? There was an interview with him that CBS aired the following Monday morning that was conducted by Mark McKuen. The Mark McKuen interview was very dignified (and reassuring to me), unlike the one that Beth Ruyak did with him at that post Olympic Gala in Tokyo.

Spirit

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
A number of Nancy Kerrigan interviews also come to mind as being less than stellar. Nancy hemmed and hawed, shugged her shoulders, and generally gave the impression that she wasn't exactly fluent in the English language.
Did you catch her 1993 Saturday Night Live episode? How they let her go on stage with only an inability to read cue cards in a monotone is beyond me.

She's gotten much better since then.

barbk

Spectator
iluvtodd said:
Barb, I just can't bear to go back and watch Todd's free skate from Nagano again. I'll :cry: too much, but are you referring to an interview right after he skated? There was an interview with him that CBS aired the following Monday morning that was conducted by Mark McKuen. The Mark McKuen interview was very dignified (and reassuring to me), unlike the one that Beth Ruyak did with him at that post Olympic Gala in Tokyo.

It is the Beth Ruyak one I remember with horror. Ick. Somebody should take away her microphone for good.

Cheers,
Barb K.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Spirit said:
Did you catch her 1993 Saturday Night Live episode? How they let her go on stage with only an inability to read cue cards in a monotone is beyond me.

As bad as she might have been it resulted in one of the funniest skits of all time with her a Chris Farley skating.

S

SkateFan4Life

Spirit said:

No, I missed that one. I did, however, see a lot of interviews during the 1994 Olympic season. Nancy wasn't a little kid - she was a 24-year-old-woman who was barely fluent in English. It was embarrassing to watch her hem and haw on television.

I agree that she's much more articulate now. At the 2004 US Nationals, in which Michelle Kwan skated one of the finest long programs of her life, to "Tosca", and brought down the house, Nancy Kerrigan was interviewed on live television. She was bright, articulate, and personable, and gave a really wonderful interview.