What's your top 5 of this Final? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's your top 5 of this Final?

QuadThrow

Medalist
Aljona and Bruno's FS. Hallelulja. Unbelieveable quality in every single movement. The Queen.

Virtue/Moir SD. Should be in first. Sorry my French friends.

Wakaba SP.

Osmond SP.

Nathan SP.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
:), in no particuar order and more than 5:

- Aljona/Bruno both programs AN EX - the thing is that ther EVERY program and performance is making a deep and profound impact and impression out there, not only/solely based on elements performed/succeeded, but mostly about HOW they are doing it as a whole. Along with Sui/Han and James/Cipres to some extend, they are making an entire new uality in Pairs skating now - quality that surpasses clean elements, big elements and successful programs; it's more about blending it all together, integrate elements with the music, adding more intricacy than just raw skill into everything, spicing it up with personality, character, emotion, own vision of things. Shoutout to one and only Queen who keeps me impressed not only by her strenghts, but also how conscious she is about her mistakes and risks made - a true champion, one for ages!:bow:. And Bruno - when I remember myself about miserable, non-confident, movement-wise disconnected boy from WTT 2012 and se him now - what a progress and difference!

- Wenjing/Cong both programs and (also) EX - like above, entire new outlook on Pairs skating that keeps evolving and engaging audiences more and more into this very 'technical' and 'severe' discipline. I love their simplicity in design of their SP that allows me to feel the emotion and the build of the music through their movement, at the same time really adoring their take on 'Turandot' that connects to tradition and iconic version of Shen/Zhao, but writes a new chapter to it at the same time. What is funny and unusual in FS for me is that I like equally those non-elements' moments in their FS: transitions into jumps, into lifts, start of the 'Nessum Dorma' part with so deep connection between them, whole ending with drama...They truly have a rare ability to make small/non-significant things pop out with such a force...

- Tessa/Scott SD and FD - both programs felt like statements, I love their unapologetic take on themes chosen and going all-out with the flow. What I realized this week, seeing FD in particular, is that I love the most the evolution factor in their material this season, this morphing quality that changes and expands my perception of them each time seeing. Every time I see both SD and FD, there is something new, something 'extra' to catch, something challenging and worth interest (this time around it was definitely their partial step sequence in SD and Tango section in FD). I am in minority there, but I'm weirdly fascinated and in love with how bold, expressive those programs are - and that all packaging, attitude is applied in equally strong, vivid measure. Love the confidence and 'owning this' aura around both performances - I like that they're not backing down and tone down expression, 'punch' of it and keeps provoking and daring everyone by how they are performing, with this high intensity of everything. Keep challenging guys.

- Satoko Miyahara SP - she really became Sayuri for those 3 minutes, I wished she'd only have a fan to dance with it. The level of intricacy, sensuality, composure in that choreography is beyond imagination - but being even elevated while performed by Satoko.

- Kaetlyn Osmond both programs - definitely Lady who did the most impression overall on me this weekend - what a poise, attitude, character brought into programs! I love the fact that she challenged herself with this FS - yes, she still struggles with clean execution, but boy - what a transformation in general outlook of the program, feel of it since Grenoble! It felt much more seductive, spirited, affectionate, engaged from Kaetlyn; she really pushed the choreography forward with her gestures, face, powerfulness in her movement. SP felt as usual - amazingly comfortable, confident, charming, a bit of Parisian sky brought to the Nagoya and all across the world. Her SP performance this time allowed me to marvel and feel amazed by her timing, musicality of movement, hands/head accentuation of rhythm/melody/lyrics, it really felt like staged performance of a professonal.

- Carolina both programs - such class and timeless quality of her skating and how profound her presence on ice is. She gets better and better in my opinion as a performer, how maturely and deliberately she skates, yet with a sense of freedom and emotion/affection in it. Love both programs this season - totally feeding of her best qualities and amazing skills in interpreation of music. Her elegance, carriage on ice, effortlessness in moving, emoting are unmatched.

- Wakaba SP - one of my faves of the season, perfect pick for perfect skater: energetic, seductive piece for such musical, lively skater Wakaba is. Love ofc step sequence with 'shimmies' all the way, but what grabs me in love with her performing that SP is how she controls her movement with music tempo, rhythm building, how well/appropriately she adjust her expression/gesture with it.

- Maia/Alex SD - probably my favourite concept this season and never failing to amaze me and making me feel simply happy watching them. Amazingly thought from head to toe, with so universal appeal and broad impact on people, oozing with youthful happines and sass/joy from dancing to great music in front of an audience. Always stunned about their thoughtfulness in musicality, elements application to it, stunned about their posture, carriage on ice, integration between upper body and edge work in step sequences, with elegance, sharpness and polish overall. And jst to mention - their FD, although not perfect, brought a great sense of 'performer's vulnerability' out there, showing that 'Paradise' is not always meaning perfection, but also the search of it, kudos for Alex and Maia!

- from juniors: Alena Kostornaia, Anastasia Skoptcova/Kirill Aleshin, Rika Kihira and Alexei Krasnozhon - each of them impressed me, mostly by such mature outlook and polish over their skill acquired already. Alena was my discovery - she already has quite a control over er performance, elegance in technical aspect of her skating and very well-rounded interpretational skill.

BONUS - Japanese audience deserves for all medals, plastic stars or whatever else! Great cheer, enthusiasm shown for every skater, appreciation for performances, support for their natives, flags waiving, hands clapping game (n the verge of hilarity during Wakaba's SP and Kaetlyn's SP - their clapping not only to the rhythm, but to the intensity of it/stops when music cuts...INSANE!!! That was one pro audience:cool14:

TTM

Rinkside
Country
Brazil
My top 5 (in no particular order):

- Shoma Uno: SP

- Kaetlyn Osmond: SP

- Aljona Savchenko & Bruno Massot: SP, FS

- Junior ladies

- Japanese audience

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In no particular order:

Voronov fs
Osmond sp
Uno sp
P/C fd
Miyahara sp

Plus the Japanese audience, which always supports every skater.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Pairs competition, which was BY FAR the best of the disciplines here. Watching S/H and S/M throwing down the gauntlets in the Free Skate was EPIC ENTERTAINMENT. Nothing else came close.

The Japanese audience for not only clapping ON THE BEAT, but knowing when not to clap at all. Professionalism. Sheer professionalism. They're the Gold Standard.

Nice to see how far Nathan Chen has progressed artistically in so short a time.

Osmond's SP which always makes me want to put on a beret and go buy a croissant. Ooo la la.

LadyB

Record Breaker
1. Sergei Voronov FS
2. Adam Rippon singing at Gala again (he's got a lovely singing voice :agree: I'm still waiting for the boyband he might set up with Max Kovtun)
3. Sui / Han FS
4. Mikhail Kolyada Gala
5. Papadakis / Cizeron SD

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
1. Rika KIHIRA doing an incredibly beautiful, gorgeous, flawless, perfect 3A3T combo, without the slightest hint of UR. World First! (the commentator said it was the 1st time a junior did that... but I'm pretty sure no senior lady ever did it either!)
2. One judge giving her a GOE of "0" for it. Because yes, to us pdf-score-checking-OCD-people, there's always that little reminder that there just are shameless crimes committed without repercussion by people who for sure never take a long look at the mirror before they go to sleep.
3. Savchenko/Massot's FS. Magical, especially given how accustomed we had gotten to him missing his jumps. Still a long way to go, but he's doing giant leaps on his journey away from being Stanislav Morozov and towards becoming Robin Szolkowy.
4. Carolina Kostner's SP. For making me hold my breath while I ponder on "what really matters in FS".
5. Nathan Chen's SP. That's good choreography and a fun program, which he's totally capable of interpreting if they let him. The polar opposite to his FS this year, where any relation to the music(?) has been sucked out to possibly increase the success rate of all his quads by a few %... (in comparison, his last years' FS was lightyears better)

out of competition: the crowd!:cheer:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll post my Junior thoughts in that thread, but here goes my list for the Senior Competition

1) S/M breaking a record in the FS - Wow and double wow - such a treat to see it live two weeks ago at SA but they outdid themselves here. Really making it a two horse race with S/H for the Olympic gold!

2) H/D everything - I agree with the Eurosport guys that they are "special" (and not in the riding the short bus kind of way, lol) and deserve higher marks than they are getting. I love the Shibs, but felt with their subpar FS, that H/D should've been on the podium. Nationals will be interesting for sure.

3) S/H FS - one slight bobble from Han, but otherwise perfect and a huge 155 score. I love how much this team has grown from when I first saw their Stray Cats program a few seasons ago.

4)Maria Sotskova placing 2nd here. I have to admit that I underestimated her, placing her last in my predictions. She is improving by leaps and bounds and has beautiful costumes to boot. On the negative side, I don't like her fly swatting 'tanos and I think her blonder hair color washes her out. But she has definitely made her case for the 3rd spot on the Oly team (if Russian athletes compete, that is).

5) Nathan Chen's "Nemesis" - so good and fresh and can't wait to see it live again at Nationals!

I also want to give honorable mention to the new scoring box - really like seeing the BV+GOE as the program goes on, so you can really see where the points are being racked up. I hope they keep it going for other ISU competitions.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
1) Zagitova: even when she's not flawless I LOVE HER :love: :biggrin:
2) Sotskova :) Love her dresses and her skating!!
3) Sui/Han
4) Jason SP
5) Shibutanis

HM) Nathan Chen SP

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I also want to give honorable mention to the new scoring box - really like seeing the BV+GOE as the program goes on, so you can really see where the points are being racked up. I hope they keep it going for other ISU competitions.
OMG YES! Totally forgot about this, but this new scoring box is so good!! I can see how it might be distracting to casual viewers, but it's also a great tool for commentators to explain more stuff more efficiently to them! :thumbsup:
Plus it might educate the commentators who don't know what they're talking about... like the B Esp guy who for the life of him couldn't recognize bad throw twists:
S/K: lv2, -0,3: "really precise"
D/R: lv2: "best so far" after Yu/Zhang had just done a lv4 with +1.4! :laugh:

FSLover17

On the Ice
1) Satoko's SP
2) Satoko's FS
3) Virtue/Moir FD
4) Nathen Chen SP
5) Sui/Han SP in spite of mistake

cell

On the Ice
1. Anna/Luca FD
2. Chock/Bates FD
3. P/C FD
4. V/M FD
5. Sotskova SP (I don't know , I didn't fall asleep... I do know she could perform it with better interpretation, but I still liked it... love the music, I) or Miyahara SP (those spins were gorgeous and she has glorious extensions)

icedance

On the Ice
1. Interesting, nobody mentioned yet Cappellini/Lanotte. I feel that they skated their hearts out in the FD. For me that was the highlight in the Dance event. Their FD is something special, something that they haven’t skated before. A moving and wonderful performance! Probably their last season and my heart is breaking for them.
2. Sui/Han FS
3. Miyahara SP
4. Kostner SP
5. Savchenko/Massot FS

cell

On the Ice
1. Interesting, nobody mentioned yet Cappellini/Lanotte. I feel that they skated their hearts out in the FD. For me that was the highlight in the Dance event. Their FD is something special, something that they haven’t skated before. A moving and wonderful performance! Probably their last season and my heart is breaking for them.

Well well well... great minds post at the same time ;)

I think this FD gets criticized because it's old-fashioned and very similar tosomething they've done before, but I don't care. They perform it so well and are wonderful storytellers. I am going to buy them flowers in Milano.

champs

Final Flight
1. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQmWMd2U8AcPGSr.jpg
2. Sotskova FS
3. Sotskova SP
4. Kostner FS
5. Kolyada SP

Disappointed by many performances but especially by Chen's SP, what Henni147 wrote is how I felt about his SP as well, let along sub par spin execution.
To Nathan: I agree that he had a solid short programme, but he nearly lost his balance in every landing and the skating in between looked too casual (this is my personal opinion).

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1. Sergei doing amazing in both his programs!! Especially in the Free Skate where he had the crowd cheering him on, whooo! Go Sergei!
2. The Japanese crowd, they're amazing! They must come with a heap of flags so they can support everyone. :cheer:
3. Katia and Harley winning the Junior Pairs! It even made the news on an Aussie site here!
4. Sui and Cong - especially Cong, he's so tiny for a man's pair skater, I'm so impressed that he can do all the throws and lifts! And Sui of course is amazing!
5. Aljona and Bruno's Exhibition skate - weird and fabulous!

Ooo yes, good call! I love that box! The SBS here in Australia are replaying highlights from the GPs and seeing the regular box is not satisfying :laugh:

wishonastar

On the Ice
No real order...

1) Virtue/Moir sd
2) Papadakis Cizeron fd
3) Hubell Donohue sd/fd
4) Kaetlyn Osmond sp
5) Savchenko Massot fs

lady_bee

Medalist
It's hard to pick up only 5, because I spent four days like a dream in Nagoya.
Let me try, in no particuar order;

- Savchenko Massot fs
- Virtue/Moir sd/fd
- Papadakis Cizeron sd/fd
- Sui/Han fs
- Voronov's fs
and more・・・・・

Just from my personal experience;
- I have spotted Midori Ito in the arena. I am still regretting I didn't talk to her:sad4:.
- I met and was interviewed by Cathy Reed. I am happy they use only a word from my long stupid talk.( I was too excited to see her in person, so I talked too much about nothing) Can you see which one is me in this video? A woman in her fifty and wearing grasses, not Ninjya:biggrin: