When has IOC established a quota for the figure skating events at the Olympic Games? | Golden Skate

When has IOC established a quota for the figure skating events at the Olympic Games?

Go4Gold

Spectator
Does anyone know when the quata for the figure skating events at the Olympic Games was established?

I know that 80% of Olympic slots (24 men/women, 19 dance couples, and 16 pairs) are assigned to nations based on their performance in the previous year's World Figure Skating Championships. I would like to know when such system was established.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Does anyone know when the quata for the figure skating events at the Olympic Games was established?

I know that 80% of Olympic slots (24 men/women, 19 dance couples, and 16 pairs) are assigned to nations based on their performance in the previous year's World Figure Skating Championships. I would like to know when such system was established.
I'm not sure.

There was a maximum of 30 entries per discipline in 1994. I don't know whether there were limits before then. But it wouldn't surprise me if that's when it started, given the increase in the number of potential participating nations after the breakup of the Soviet Union, and the introduction of qualifying rounds for singles at ISU championships in 1993.