When will Johnny be in Stars on Ice? | Golden Skate

When will Johnny be in Stars on Ice?

Are you listening, Scott Hamilton? People want to see Johnny!!!

I'm very happy that Mirai, Jeremy, Miki, and Davis & White have been added but it won't be complete without Johnny.

tarotx

On the Ice
What ever is the issue with Johnny it can't be about medals. He has 3 US championships to Abbot's 2 and Alissa's 1.

OK, I'm just going to say it. Is it true that there's bad blood between Scott and Johnny? What's that about? I mean, Scott obviously loooooooooooooooooooooooves Evan, but how about us? Don't we count?

decker

On the Ice
If I'm not mistaken, Stars on Ice has some kind of arrangement with a specific sports management agency. If a skater is not represented by that agency, it's rare to be hired on unless you are bringing, say, Olympic Gold to the table.

chrissy51

Rinkside
If they want to see my money then they will sign Johnny Weir for Stars on Ice. I have not seen the show in years but the addition of Johnny would certainly bring me back.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I live in the second largest city in Massachusetts and they are not coming here in an Olympic year - SOI sux! Please bring back Champions on Ice! YUNA is rich enough to do that herself- and Michelle would skate some dates...I only saw them after Salt Lake-great show it was even though Sarah and Irina were missing that night. I'm disabled/ill so Boston is hard for me...I could not be more pissed at Scott?SOI or the damn arena (seats 14, 000).

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Stars on Ice has always been packaged as "wholesome" and "family-friendly". There'd be many a dropped monocle if Johnny Weir was skating. So the answer to the question is... never.

sidwich

Rinkside
Scott's made some very homophobic comments in the past, so my money's on "never" also. Evan presents an almost fanatically wholesome, all-American, straight image, and it's absolutely no wonder that Scott is all over him to headline SOI.

heyang

Record Breaker
SOI has traditionally had a small cast, with many cast members being pairs or ice dancers. Since there are so many ensemble numbers, it helps when the skaters have partnering experience. i.e. Kristi was a huge asset to the choreographers because of her pairs experience.

Anyway, with Todd and Mike W being cast members, I don't know if they would want to add 3 men. Evan is the Olympic Gold Medalist and current World Champion. Jeremy is 2 time US Champion. Johnny has no current titles. Thus, Evan and Jeremy are more desirable from a title perspective. I think they also expect that Evan and Jeremy may continue to compete and that Johnny may not be - by continuing to compete, their names will be 'out there' as they compete and will, perhaps, draw more ticket sales.

And someone was correct - skaters represented by IMG usually comprise the cast of SOI.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Why would Johnny fans wish that tripe on him anyway. They'd make him tone it down and subject him to other indignities. Plus, Stars on Ice isn't exactly a money maker these days. Weir's better off doing something else.

Justafan

On the Ice
Why would Johnny fans wish that tripe on him anyway. They'd make him tone it down and subject him to other indignities. Plus, Stars on Ice isn't exactly a money maker these days. Weir's better off doing something else.

I agree. Johnny would be considered too controversial for SOI and I doubt he would want to change in order to fit the mold. Might as well ask him to do Disney on Ice, lol. Plus he has already said he wants to go and study fashion design from the ground up at FIT. I'm sure between now and then he will be invited to do some shows here and there. He is very popular overseas and has a small clothing line there. He is going to be on Larry King and Regis and Kelly this week so maybe he will get some good exposure. Plus he has his reality show...not sure if that is still filming. Sounds like he is going to stay busy...plus training for Worlds in the short run.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SOI is produced in part by IMG - they've backed it from the beginning. IMG skaters get first consideration - just like Champion On Ice Skaters belonged to a different agency. When SOI bought out COI those skaters lost out. I don't think it's homophobic at all - just a business matter that may or may not be all that great IMO. Scott probably gets to hand pick which IMG skaters he invites to be in his show. While Scott may have his own views on what skating should look like as far as competitively, he has not just chosen 'straight' skaters to skate in SOI... Toller Cranston was on the tour's cast list before he retired, Brian Orser was a mainstay before Kurt Browning stole the show (and was the headliner for many years on CSOI even when Scott would skate). And of course Wilson & McCaul were also on the cast list before Rob's illness forced them to retire.

Traditionally there are 4 men, 4 ladies, 2-4 pairs teams, and 1 dance team.

Johnny just missed the train because of who his agent is.

psycho

On the Ice
Can someone explain what makes Weir's skating "family un-friendly"? His style is very lyrical, classic and traditional. It's not like he'll be getting interviewed on the ice, he'll be skating, and it's hard to imagine what could be offensive about his skating...

Mafke

Medalist
I would say the management question is one reason he'll probably never skate with SOI. Another is his .... style. The two contribute to each other and aren't mutually exclusive.

Plainly put, he doesn't fit the image of male skaters as straight sex maniacs that SOI so carefully cultivates. A few years ago the show might have been described as SSSSOI (Stars simulate straight sex on ice)

silverling

Rinkside
Not inviting Johnny Weir is only a their loss. big loss. He is 'art' itself on the ice. He is a figure skater of a century.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Stars on Ice has always been packaged as "wholesome" and "family-friendly". There'd be many a dropped monocle if Johnny Weir was skating. So the answer to the question is... never.

:rofl:

Oh i laughed so hard at the dropped monacle....it brought to mind "Buzz Kill" from Family Guy!!!

Ant

merrywidow

Record Breaker
They need a Ryan Bradley to lighten the show up as well as Johnny to bring back masculine beauty on the ice.

nubka

Final Flight

That's the impression I've always has as well.

Too bad, cause I'd pay their horrid prices to see Johnny! I'd also pay to see Ryan Bradley. Who wants to see Todd Eldredge for the umpteeth time, when they could see Ryan instead? :clap:

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just my opinion, I think it's because Scott can't control Johnny....who can????

After Alexei left....I've had no desire to actually go to one of the shows but I would if Johnny skated. Oh well, they don't even come to my area anymore.

Last edited: