where do you skate? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

where do you skate?

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Hi Kyla -- welcome!

Although I do skate in multi-rink facilities, my two favorite rinks are both old, NHL sized city-owned rinks. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of choices.

serenity - I've never skated in Hazel Park, but with a kid now in travel hockey I'll bet that I'll get there one day, at least in the stands :laugh: .

Figure_Skater

Spectator
sk8er1964 said:
Hey, fellow Michigander! I've only been out there once - Fred did my sharpening once when my regular guy broke his knee. He did a great job - if Mike ever quits, I at least know where to go to get my skates done. I was impressed that he had me go out on the ice to test them out -- and they were a bit too sharp for my taste -- so he fixed them. This was right before Adult Mids, when there was no time to have them redone if I didn't like them.

Hey! Yeah Fred does a great job! He's the only person I have touch my skates! :)

takura

On the Ice
I skate at an indoor skating rink the sad part it's in a mall so the rink is small
and I live so far from there.

Last edited:

yummyNoodles

Rinkside
Traverse City, Michigan, unfortunately.

Actually, the rink is really nice, but I just can't stand skating there anymore!!!! Maybe I'm in a really ornery mood right now.

ice cold

Rinkside
i skate at culver ice arena (Los angeles). dont like the esocondido iceplex. they ice is terrible, but the olympic rink is good. but i love to travel and skate. ive skated in NYC, new haven, minneapolis, paris, Nagoya- japan, london and hawaii (that was an adventure).

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
dont like the esocondido iceplex. they ice is terrible,

That is where I skate and I hate to agree with you, but the ice is not the best ice to skate on. However I'm not going to be too picky because I just moved from a place that had no ice rinks. Had to wait 8yrs to start skating again.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
dlkksk8fan said:
That is where I skate and I hate to agree with you, but the ice is not the best ice to skate on. However I'm not going to be too picky because I just moved from a place that had no ice rinks. Had to wait 8yrs to start skating again.

EIGHT YEARS!!! I would not be able to live without skating! Where did you live? You poor dear. Hopefully you get to skate until your heart is content these days.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Glacier- I lived in San Luis Obispo, CA. San Luis is located on the central coast of CA, 3 hours north of Los Angeles and 3 hours south of San Francisco. I use to like to say San Luis was in the middle of everything and close to nothing. I sort of gave up on even thinking I would skate again and put all of my energy into Ballet and Jazz classes. The first thing I did when I moved to So CA is to go to the nearest skating rink and check out the schedule. I now have 3 ice rinks all within 30 mins or less from my house. :)

isk8nbessy

Rinkside
Wow, you lucky thing! I travel an hour to get to the smallest rink on earth. I kid you not. Everything else is just too far. I'm lucky to get to a competition and get practice ice on a "big" rink. ( nhl.) No wonder our skaters don't do well, we have a third of what skaters get on a NHL rink. No speed and power= no medals.

Perry

Rinkside
Island Ice Arena, in Pittsburgh, PA....it's owned by Robert Morris University now.

alaskanmom

Rinkside
dlkksk8fan said:
lulu-
where is Dupage Ice Skating Rink located?

I skate at Icoplex in Escondido,CA

Do you know a coach named Michelle Ford? think she is out of there, coaches and does a team as well. :)

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
isk8nbessy said:
No wonder our skaters don't do well, we have a third of what skaters get on a NHL rink. No speed and power= no medals.
No, but what skaters from a small rink like yours do have is superb edges! There is a rink in Central London which is very small, and they produce dancers with edges to die for! I hate skating there myself, as I never know how hard to push - you think, oh, this is tiny, so you don't push, then find you aren't covering the ice, so you push, and then find you've hit the barrier!

Personally I skate on a large rink in south London. It is Olympic length but not Olympic width, only hockey width.

GordonSk8erBoi

Rinkside
alaskanmom said:
Do you know a coach named Michelle Ford? think she is out of there, coaches and does a team as well. :)

This is bizarre. I was coached for a time by Glenn Parriott, who used to be her ice dance partner I believe.

I skate at Polar Ice in Tucson, Arizona.

alaskanmom

Rinkside
do you mean glenn patterson? He did skate with her, in fact he is here now, training our ice dance couple before regionals.We saw him today at freestyle.
My dd adored michelle and she likes glenn as well. She had some lessons from him in august and will again after regionals.He is out of tacoma wash.He comes up every month or so.
If its the same one, we can say hi to him for you, will see him every day till saturday.
small world :)

dobiesk8r

Rinkside
chana61 said:
I skate at South Mountain Arena in New Jersey--home of the NJ Devils!

Go Devils! Except for the stupid lockout. :mad:

Anyway, I took my last USFS test at South Mountain a couple of years ago, and the club members there couldn't have been nicer, even though the test ran a bit late.

Figureskates

On the Ice
dobiesk8r said:
Go Devils! Except for the stupid lockout. :mad:

Anyway, I took my last USFS test at South Mountain a couple of years ago, and the club members there couldn't have been nicer, even though the test ran a bit late.

I first learned to figure skate at South Mountain Arena way back in the 60s when I lived in Short Hills....that was a lifetime ago!!

GordonSk8erBoi

Rinkside
alaskanmom said:
do you mean glenn patterson? He did skate with her, in fact he is here now, training our ice dance couple before regionals.We saw him today at freestyle.
My dd adored michelle and she likes glenn as well. She had some lessons from him in august and will again after regionals.He is out of tacoma wash.He comes up every month or so.
If its the same one, we can say hi to him for you, will see him every day till saturday.
small world :)

Nope, I think I'm remembering wrong. In fact I think I made this mistake once before. I once found on the web (but can't find now, Google is NOT my friend today) a listing of Junior Nationals champions. The Glenn I knew was a Jr. National champion in ice dance in the early 70s. Ms. Ford and Mr. Patterson were Sr. National champions I think.