Which coach(es) could Mao choose for the next season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which coach(es) could Mao choose for the next season?

gio

Medalist
I'll say Tatiana Tarasova! :rock:

But Michelle Kwan will be a pleasing choice as well. The problem is that it is unrealistic.

sorcerer

Final Flight
How about giving Carol Heiss Jenkins one more chance to challenge for Olympic gold through her student?

She fits Mao more than she did with Miki.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
May I asked a stupid question? Is there an english source about Mao leaving Arutunian- is this official?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I somehow have a feeling that she might have a technical coach at home and keep the tie with TT for artistic development by having summer sessions with her in Russia. JMO.
That is one of the most reasonable suggestions.

gio

Medalist
Will be she able to prepare for Worlds all by herself?? I'm a little bit worried.

Bennett

Record Breaker
How about Takeshi Honda for a technical coach? Actually he is a whole package. He is also smart, good at analysis, and seems to be a kind guy. Although he may be a bit too young and a bit shaky in terms of controlling nerves.... He also has lots of ice shows.

I think that Shizuka is too busy with her own shows.

Yuka Sato would be ideal but she has husband and shows in the US. She is 37 yr old? But still actively skating. So perhaps not.

I wouldn't think that MIdori Ito would be a great coach. She is a great athelete with natural ability. But I don't think that she is good at analytical thinking as far as I hear her commentary. I also feel that she can be a bit shaky in terms of emotional ups and downs whereas Ms. Machiko Yamada was so much more mature.

But Ms. Machiko Yamada couldn't address her flutz. She also has really a lot of students. So perhaps not her.

Last edited:

mizu_iro

Final Flight
How about Takeshi Honda for a technical coach? Actually he is a whole package. He is also smart, good at analysis, and seems to be a kind guy. Although he may be a bit too young and a bit shaky in terms of controlling nerves.... He also has lots of ice shows.

I think that Shizuka is too busy with her own shows.

Yuka Sato would be ideal but she has husband and shows in the US. She is 37 yr old? But still actively skating. So perhaps not.

I wouldn't think that MIdori Ito would be a great coach. She is a great athelete with natural ability. But I don't think that she is good at analytical thinking as far as I hear her commentary. I also feel that she can be a bit shaky in terms of emotional ups and downs whereas Ms. Machiko Yamada was so much more mature.

But Ms. Machiko Yamada couldn't address her flutz. She also has really a lot of students. So perhaps not her.

But Takeshi flutzes. And I'm sure that's something that Mao wants to fix.
Mark Mitchell? He does have Emily Hughes and Katrina Hacker, but he doesn't have anybody of Mao's caliber. Morozov would be a logical choice in terms of fixing the edge and even location (Westchester and metropolitan Connecticut have a big Japanese population) but not in terms of style and attention.

Bennett

Record Breaker
But Takeshi flutzes. And I'm sure that's something that Mao wants to fix.
Mark Mitchell? He does have Emily Hughes and Katrina Hacker, but he doesn't have anybody of Mao's caliber. Morozov would be a logical choice in terms of fixing the edge and even location (Westchester and metropolitan Connecticut have a big Japanese population) but not in terms of style and attention.

Does Takeshi flutz? Then perhaps not for her....

I just don't know if there is any famous coach who is "unemployed" and is wlling to teach her exclusively in Nagoya. Has there been any coach who has had only one big student and served only for him/her for several years??? I feel that they are expecting a bit too much against the norm. Every famous coach has good students whom he/she doesn't want to abandon. Period.

They seem to be unhappy about RA staying in the US "to take care of other students" instead of going to 4CC with her. But if Mao had practiced with him before that, I think that he would certainly have gone with her. My speculation is that RA did not want to take the responsibility of her competition results who practiced away from him. So I don't think that a coach having other students should be a problem in a normal circumstance.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Does Takeshi flutz? Then perhaps not for her....

I just don't know if there is any famous coach who is "unemployed" and is wlling to teach her exclusively in Nagoya. Has there been any coach who has had only one big student and served only for him/her for several years??? I feel that they are expecting a bit too much against the norm. Every famous coach has good students whom he/she doesn't want to abandon. Period.

They seem to be unhappy about RA staying in the US "to take care of other students" instead of going to 4CC with her. But if Mao had practiced with him before that, I think that he would certainly have gone with her. My speculation is that RA did not want to take the responsibility of her competition results who practiced away from him. So I don't think that a coach having other students should be a problem in a normal circumstance.

I'm pretty sure Tarasova had one big-name skater at a time. In Arturnian's case, he clearly had two big-name stars, Mao and Buttle, so do many famous coaches. Brian Orser doesn't have any "star" other than Yu-na, but again, it's not exclusive. I think Arakawa would be amazing for Mao, but she's busy with shows. Man, only if Yuka Sato were in Japan..

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I think Yuka would be the best for Mao.
John Nicks will not work because there is still the chance that he will come back when Sasha comes back. Call me optimistic..........
Robin Wagner would be a great choice. I beleive she works in Hackensack and that is close to NYC so Mao could find the Japanese connection there,
Question- What is her lovely sister Mai doing? Is she staying with RA or is she being forced to follow her sisters footsteps??

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I think Yuka would be the best for Mao.
John Nicks will not work because there is still the chance that he will come back when Sasha comes back. Call me optimistic..........
Robin Wagner would be a great choice. I beleive she works in Hackensack and that is close to NYC so Mao could find the Japanese connection there,
Question- What is her lovely sister Mai doing? Is she staying with RA or is she being forced to follow her sisters footsteps??

Oh please not Robin Wagner. I don't think mental toughness is something Mao needs to develop further, and Robin's not exactly known for teaching flawless jump technique. Although that would mean that Mao would be training around ten minutes from my house...
I'm pretty sure Mai would follow Mao. I think that would be a good thing - Mai has CERTAINLY not improved since moving to Arutunian. I still think that her best performance was at Japanese Nationals in 2005 and she's deteriorated since then.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that most of us are forgetting that Mao is in Japan.. to stay. I would be surprised if any of these top coaches would move or even be allowed to love to Japan to be mao's coach. good question about mai, skatergirl. I wonder if she was unhappy in Lake Arrowhead as well. Is she even planning on competing anymore?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Tarasova had one big-name skater at a time. In Arturnian's case, he clearly had two big-name stars, Mao and Buttle, so do many famous coaches.
At one point, Tarasova coached both Kulik and Gretchuk & Platov to their Olympic gold medals - so she can definitely split her time between several elite skaters.

tonywalter

Match Penalty

Somebody please correct me if my memory is faulty. I recall Robin Wagner's remedy for Sasha or Sarah's flutz was to ask them to jump as far away from the judges as possible.

kandidy

Final Flight
Somebody please correct me if my memory is faulty. I recall Robin Wagner's remedy for Sasha or Sarah's flutz was to ask them to jump as far away from the judges as possible.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

How about
Brain Orser-Yuna
Brian Boitano-Mao?;)

ks777

Record Breaker

Then what Mao needs is a really long skirt which hides her skates when taking off for jumps.