Who does great spirals? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who does great spirals?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think Shizuka's spiral is the best of the bunch. Deep edge, huge coverage, a lot of speed, great extension. You can see her spiral spanning from one end of the rink to another end in a few seconds.

Someone else like Mao and Sasha has better extension and position, but they don't come even close to the other points. The rest of them don't have the speed and ice coverage to compete. Yuna's spiral lacks in edge and extension, speed and coverage aren't better than Shizuka's either.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Why'd they get rid of them anyway? Makes me kinda sad that spirals aren't an actual element anymore....anyway my picks would include Sasha (duh), Shizuka (godly control), and Mao (beauty). I don't think anyone in the present field even comes close...maybe Yulia...but she doesn't really hold it (which is part of what makes spirals enjoyable IMO) except in exhibitions.

What about this one? (3:30) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L50T4bbkR8 Although I admit it's only 10 seconds long.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^direct link to spiral ;)

https://youtu.be/0L50T4bbkR8?t=3m42s

I love the use of the arms after she releases the hold. The more I've learned about Ballet over the last few seasons the more I recognize her posture is quite naturally balletic. Of course some just see it as contortionist movements but IMO it's just a beautiful way to express yourself thru motion. I'm so thankful for skaters like Sasha and Julia who aren't afraid to be different and challange the norm. Not that I don't like classical skating I just don't think they all need to be doing the exact moves in similar ways.

I've been on the hunt for a video I saw the other day that I remember saying "wow...what a spiral". I think it's in the Korean Youngsters thread but I haven't located it yet. Hmm...

Also...gkelly posted a spiral a few years back of an old ice show that had a guy do one that was like over a minute long. Anyone remember that?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Heh.. am I the only one who thought Yuna's Bond Spiral sequence is among the most epic musically appropriate spirals of all time? I thought the whole choreography/music choice of her Bond piece was about highlighting that Spiral. Whole 13 seconds first half cover the whole length of the rink with effortless push out of no where, then 2nd half, cover another half length of the rink. She literally glide by effortlessly with power, speed, grace, gravitas, like those epic aerial shots on those Bond movies that typically accompanied by John Barry's music. May be not the prettiest, but perfect for Bond, liberated femme fatale, wild and free.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Heh.. am I the only one who thought Yuna's Bond Spiral sequence is among the most epic musically appropriate spirals of all time? I thought the whole choreography/music choice of her Bond piece was about highlighting that Spiral. Whole 13 seconds first half cover the whole length of the rink with effortless push out of no where, then 2nd half, cover another half length of the rink. She literally glide by effortlessly with power, speed, grace, gravitas, like those epic aerial shots on those Bond movies that typically accompanied by John Barry's music. May be not the prettiest, but perfect for Bond, liberated femme fatale, wild and free.

Placed well with the music, but the positions are on par with Miki Ando. Just flat out ugly.

My inner Dick Button gives her no props. He slaughtered her spirals when he commentated for ESPN. :laugh:

It's easier to cover a rink with a spiral that has no extension with speed.

I mean... let's compare:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4878771143_2fabb59fa0_m.jpg

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Yu+Na+Kim+Skate+America+FozHL1W-lkMx.jpg

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Gorgeous spirals would still be rewarded in PCS and ChSq if people really did them, but nobody does anymore. It's a shame. Everyone is too focused on the other steps and, now, the 3Axel.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Mediocre positions, but as a skating feat I really like this sequence because of the incredible ice coverage and speed including through the three turn, not to mention the unexpected double axel stepping from the forward edge at the end.

Imagine

Medalist
To be fair, Yuna and Miki did make a believable effort to try to improve their spirals....plus I think Miki had at least a few okay spirals and Yuna more than made up for hers with her other qualities. Now Fumie...those were some truly ugly spirals.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

My inner Dick Button gives her no props. He slaughtered her spirals when he commentated for ESPN. :laugh:

:p Dick has sometimes been one of her biggest critics (luckily not after Sochi) due to her lesser than 'pure' (classic ballet) aestheticism. However she make it up by athleticism and dynamism and Bond is such a program that allows some leverage to get away with. It just seems somewhere along the way the most vocal skating influencers decide positions is the most important thing because a few American is incredible at it. It is as if Russia decide just because they are blessed with some of the great spinners (US too), all of a sudden spinning is the greatest thing ever and natural flexibility is most important in this sport.

Luckily I didn't grow up with Dick and tries to remain open minded, otherwise I'd miss out seeing great things from a fresh perspective. Good job Yuna were still able to deliver spirals to impactful effect during her post Vancouver programs. Homage to Korea one especially comes to mind, after that shaimen like induced step sequence, the uplifting Arirang motif practically works as a spiritual cleansing choreography movement, great use in meaning and purpose. I wish that spiral at WC had been much bigger actually but the timing of the music wouldn't allow it, unlike that Bond track that has the right music of the right length and emotional build up for it. Sometimes it is just about finding the right music for the perfect choreographic movement.

I am curious to see if there' has been a bigger coverage, speedy and more musically impactful spiral than the Bond one among the ladies. I am sure there's tons of treasures from the old days I need to check out. Look forward to see them all. That Irina one was impressive in its own right, just different style from Michelle's more elegant and assured 'kweenly' spirals. Jason Brown's spirals should be a big hit this season (is spiral more traditionally known as a ladies highlight than guys?). If judges reward them, may be we will see more of them.

Last edited: