Who exactly are the British Eurosport guys? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who exactly are the British Eurosport guys?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry for talking F1 again, but I just want to answer a couple of points brought up in karne's reply to my previous comment, before bringing this thread firmly back on topic.

You object to Alonso, but not to Vettel?
That just seems...well. Vettel makes Alonso look like an angel of light.

OK, so I have a confession to make. Mark Webber was my favourite driver before he retired. And although I liked Vettel when he first appeared on the grid, I did go off him during the years that he had that feud with Mark.

The difference between Vettel and Alonso is that I didn't like Alonso to start off with. Plus, I don't know whether it was Mark retiring or the fact he didn't get on with the 2014 car, but Vettel does seem to have grown up a lot in the past season or so.

As for Dani Ric, he has been a breath of fresh air since he arrived! In fact, he is probably next after Felipe and Kimi on my list of favourites amongst the current field. But, I didn't want to list too many drivers as my favourites. Plus, I was worried about you taking too much pleasure out of me liking the Aussies... ;) :laugh:

I like Massa (and all the Brazilians too, big fan of Bruno Senna), but I can't stand Raikkonen. I have no patience for someone who is only fast when he feels like being fast.

Oh, don't get me started on Bruno Senna. He should still be on the grid, rather than doing TV work. I hate how we are in times where money is more important than talent.

Speaking of talent, lets get back onto the British Eurosport commentators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmBGUE5hI0

OMG CaroLiza_Fan, did they just say "We didn't do the ladies, we *watched* the ladies?" :laugh2:

Yeah, that was why I singled out that particular clip for it's own link. That was hilarious! :laugh: :drama:

The moment Chris or Simon rhaspodized about Anna's beauty was sometime ago. I think they were skating to Carmen then.

You know, just thinking about it, it seems to be a regular thing for Simon to be distracted by Anna Cappellini. Because I can remember a few occasions when that has happened. But, I just thought you were talking about recently.

Did anybody see the review of the Pairs FS that Eurosport showed during the resurfacing in the Men's SP?

Nicky and Simon came out with some VERY humourous comments at the end of showing Pang / Tong's routine.

If somebody still has that recording, it would definitely be worth putting it up on YouTube.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OMG they didn't "do" the ladies, they "watched" the ladies :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: I'm dead!

amanuenssi

Rinkside
Which one, Chris, Nicky or Simon made the historical comment after Yuzuru Hanyu's GPF FS in Barcelona: "We are not talking here about the best skater of the year, we are not talking about even the best skater of his generation, he may be one of the greatest skaters, if not even THE greatest skater of all time."?

Tutto

Record Breaker
Which one, Chris, Nicky or Simon made the historical comment after Yuzuru Hanyu's GPF FS in Barcelona: "We are not talking here about the best skater of the year, we are not talking about even the best skater of his generation, he may be one of the greatest skaters, if not even THE greatest skater of all time."?

I believe it was Chris, I must re-watch it as my recollection is that they started getting into that hype mode even before he finished the program and I thought ohh yes shut up or something going to happen now and it did - down went Hanyu on his last jump but Chris said something like: Arrr he won already anyway

amanuenssi

Rinkside
I believe it was Chris, I must re-watch it as my recollection is that they started getting into that hype mode even before he finished the program and I thought ohh yes shut up or something going to happen now and it did - down went Hanyu on his last jump but Chris said something like: Arrr he won already anyway

Thank you melissa_ire for the reply! From now on I will send more warm thoughts to Chris! I must say that I'm such a big Yuzuru fan that this comment of Chris always makes my day when I watch that FS in Barcelona.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
It was Simon Reed, who said both those things... (I rewatched it just now, to double check)

"We're not talking here about the best skater of the year. We're not even talking about the best skater of his generation. He may be one of the greatest skaters, if not THE greatest skater, of all time. As long as he doesn't get injured!"

Simon was singing Yuzuru's praises, and predicting future success, ever since he was competing in juniors:

"If you had to pick someone out for the future, either Song Nan who we've seen, or maybe we've got Adam Rippon coming on, Song Nan or this guy Yuzuru Hanyu ... you'd have to say for the future, my money would be on Hanyu of Japan"

"He is phenominally good at 14. You never know - injury, you cross your fingers, you touch wood, and hope he stays uninjured... but if mentally he can progress as well, you're looking at a guy that's going to be on the podium at World Championships" (Simon Reed, after Hanyu's FS at Junior World's 2009, Sofia/Bulgaria)

Last edited:

amanuenssi

Rinkside
It was Simon Reed, who said both those things... (I rewatched it just now, to double check)

"We're not talking here about the best skater of the year. We're not even talking about the best skater of his generation. He may be one of the greatest skaters, if not THE greatest skater, of all time. As long as he doesn't get injured!"

Simon was singing Yuzuru's praises, and predicting future success, ever since he was competing in juniors:

"If you had to pick someone out for the future, either Song Nan who we've seen, or maybe we've got Adam Rippon coming on, Song Nan or this guy Yuzuru Hanyu ... you'd have to say for the future, my money would be on Hanyu of Japan"

"He is phenominally good at 14. You never know - injury, you cross your fingers, you touch wood, and hope he stays uninjured... but if mentally he can progress as well, you're looking at a guy that's going to be on the podium at World Championships" (Simon Reed, after Hanyu's FS at Junior World's 2009, Sofia/Bulgaria)

Thank you for the correction, YesWay, Now my extra warm thoughts reach another man, Simon Reed, whose comments can still make my day!

BlackPack

Medalist
I was supporting Rosberg for the Championship last season. I used to really like Hamilton, but last season he really turned me against him. He was yapping far too much, and when he wasn't he was far too cocky. Which is a shame, as he is a very talented driver.

LOL, I thought you were talking about SCOTT Hamilton. It was pretty fitting until the "talented driver" part. "Talented driver" of skaters' post-amateur careers?:laugh:

What are the differences between Simon/Chris/Nicky? Simon is entranced by Anna Cappellini's beauty, we know that. :laugh2: Because for whatever reason, though they are all different men, I couldn't tell them apart when I listen to them. They work so well together it's like they're triplets coming from the same love for skating.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Nicky and Simon came out with some VERY humourous comments at the end of showing Pang / Tong's routine.

If somebody still has that recording, it would definitely be worth putting it up on YouTube.

I'll have to go back and look at my Eurosport recording of Pairs. I actually haven't watched any of it yet. :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
LOL, I thought you were talking about SCOTT Hamilton. It was pretty fitting until the "talented driver" part. "Talented driver" of skaters' post-amateur careers?:laugh:

What are the differences between Simon/Chris/Nicky? Simon is entranced by Anna Cappellini's beauty, we know that. :laugh2: Because for whatever reason, though they are all different men, I couldn't tell them apart when I listen to them. They work so well together it's like they're triplets coming from the same love for skating.

Simon is easy to identify, because he has a richer, deeper voice than the other two.

But I often get Nicky and Chris mixed up. Especially whenever there is only one of them on duty. You have to consciously think "Now, which one did they say at the start was commentating...". Unless of course they are talking about their own experiences! (Chris = Men's Singles; Nicky = Ice Dance)

It is easy enough to tell the voices apart when they are commentating together. The problem is remembering which voice is which! :laugh:

I'll have to go back and look at my Eurosport recording of Pairs. I actually haven't watched any of it yet. :slink:

If you are looking specifically for that comment I was talking about, it was actually when they were showing the top 3 from the Pairs during the resurfacing of the Men's SP.

And if you can't find it, don't worry. I can just type out what they said. But, as always, there is an extra dimension to the humour when you actually hear the voices.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
Simon is easy to identify, because he has a richer, deeper voice than the other two.

But I often get Nicky and Chris mixed up. Especially whenever there is only one of them on duty. You have to consciously think "Now, which one did they say at the start was commentating...". Unless of course they are talking about their own experiences! (Chris = Men's Singles; Nicky = Ice Dance)

It is easy enough to tell the voices apart when they are commentating together. The problem is remembering which voice is which! :laugh:

If you are looking specifically for that comment I was talking about, it was actually when they were showing the top 3 from the Pairs during the resurfacing of the Men's SP.

And if you can't find it, don't worry. I can just type out what they said. But, as always, there is an extra dimension to the humour when you actually hear the voices.

CaroLiza_fan

You know this is a phenomenon. With other male commentators, I can tell them apart. With Chris/Nicky/Simon, it's harder. Maybe because they work so well together as a unit, they complement each other. They work as one.

CaroLiza, pray tell. I couldn't find that exact moment on Youtube.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/zFHnwnH5YpY?t=5m17s
Here's a real puzzler. When describing Yuzu's almost fall in the SP at Worlds, the commentator says, 'a bit of a teapot, shoot the duck as the call America and Canada' --wha? :laugh:
Is this something that is said in America and Canada? If so, what does it mean?