Who will retire after this season? | Golden Skate

Who will retire after this season?

fredtx121

On the Ice
Which skaters will retire after this season and who will continue on and compete until the next Olympics?
This is my list of who will retire:
Retire:
Dance
Davis/White
Virtue / Moir
Pechalat /Bourzat
Capalleni/Lanotte
Pairs
Volosozhar/Trankov
Pang/Tong
Szolkowy / (Savchenko may or may not)
Duhamel/Radford
Men
Brian Joubert
Jeremy Abbott
Evgeny Plushenko
Patrick Chan(?)
Daisuke Takahashi
Tomas Verner
N. Oda
T Kouzka
Ladies
Carolina Kostner
Mao Asada
Ashley Wagner
Miki Ando
Yuna Kim (I'm not sure if her Federation will let her and make her compete in 2018)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
So many skaters to miss. We need some new great ice dancers. At this moment I can't imagine competitions without V/M and D/W. Sadly, there will probably be some seasons when skaters who don't really deserve a world title win it just because there are no others.

Florencito

Medalist
Kozuka isn't retiring. Ashley isn't either. V/T and C/L haven't said anything about it yet. Pretty sure about all the others.

fredtx121 - Some corrections to your list:

Davis/White - apparently retiring but no confirmation from what I know
Virtue / Moir - apparently retiring but no confirmation from what I know
Pechalat /Bourzat - confirmed to retire (Sochi is their last competition)
Capalleni/Lanotte - no announcement made

Volosozhar/Trankov - they confirmed they are not retiring
Pang/Tong - confirmed to have retired (Sochi was their last competition)
Savchenko/Szolkowy - this is their last season, they might or might not do Worlds
Duhamel/Radford - they confirmed they are not retiring and will take it one season at a time

Brian Joubert - confirmed to have retired (Sochi was his last competition)
Jeremy Abbott - this is his last season, he might or might not do Worlds
Evgeny Plushenko - essentially confirmed to have retired given his injuries
Patrick Chan - no announcement made
Daisuke Takahashi - not 100% sure but IIRC, Worlds will be his last competition
Tomas Verner - confirmed to have retired (Sochi was his last competition)
Nobunari Oda - confirmed to have retired (Japanese Nationals was his last competition), he started to work as a coach (his mother's assistant)
Takahiko Kozuka - he confirmed he isn't retiring

Carolina Kostner - no announcement made
Mao Asada - no announcement made from what I know
Ashley Wagner - she confirmed she will continue until 2018
Miki Ando - confirmed to have retired (Japanese Nationals was her last competition), she started to work as a coach
Kim Yuna - confirmed this is her last competitive season

Bartek

On the Ice
What about Fumie Suguri? I've seen her do commentary for the Japanese TV News but does it mean she's not going for 2018 Olympics?

What about Fumie Suguri? I've seen her do commentary for the Japanese TV News but does it mean she's not going for 2018 Olympics?

She said this season she is going to continue until she will have a competition at Nationals that she is happy with or something like that... :slink: :(

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A fellow poster told me Kanako was retiring and all I really found was a thread on GS from Aug 2013 were it was debated. No clear news stories or anything like that. I hope not....she could really excell after Sochi and I love watching her skate. Say it ain't so.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Carolina announced during the 2012 Summer that this will be her last competitive season (as far as I know, she is planning to compete at Worlds, but the final decisione will be made after the competition, I believe) :(

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
hoping D and W will move on to short track, they seem ready !

:laugh:
Well, to be fair, Patrick Chan and Carolina Kostner would make excellent Ice Dancers then ;)

I believe Akiko Suzuki has already said this will be her last season.

CarneAsada

Medalist
She said this season she is going to continue until she will have a competition at Nationals that she is happy with or something like that... :slink: :(
Maybe one day when she's 40, the "skin she is in" will "feel good", and she will actually land a triple! :laugh:

The Suguri saga is really sad. It does happen in sport that athletes struggle to transition to a 'civilian' life since training and competition was what their whole life was essentially about but in case of Suguri the inability to let go and move on is particularly tragic, given how unrealistic her aims are at this stage.

So there are rumours floating around that V/M are possibly done and that this is D/W's last season as well but no confirmations yet from them, from what I know.

Reposting Mattheiu's post from the FD thread.

Pechalat/Bourzat might go to Worlds, after all:

They have said in recent press interviews, that they want to finish their career on a high note, so if Sochi didn't go to plan, they would go to worlds to finish on that high note. So it depends if they think skating the 2 clean programs to their maximum was a high note, or if they think that without the medal it wasn't a high note.
I guess it will also depend on whether the top 2 retire or are going to worlds.

quikrush

Rinkside
My favourites in every discipline are retiring...Yuna and Daisuke for sure, Pang/Tong and V/M likely as well. This sport really needs some new talent.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
There was an article on a French website (Le Parisien, perhaps?) with an interview with P/B, wherein they said they were not going to the World Championships (and expressed their disgust with I/K's marks).

I can't seem to find that exact article, but here is another Le Parisien article in which P/B say they will not be attending the World Championships: http://www.leparisien.fr/JO-hiver/s...-retardent-le-biathlon-17-02-2014-3597957.php

There was an article on a French website (Le Parisien, perhaps?) with an interview with P/B, wherein they said they were not going to the World Championships (and expressed their disgust with I/K's marks).

I can't seem to find that exact article, but here is another Le Parisien article in which P/B say they will not be attending the World Championships: http://www.leparisien.fr/JO-hiver/s...-retardent-le-biathlon-17-02-2014-3597957.php

I linked it two posts back. :p

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia

So, are they going or are they going not?
I wouldn't mind to see them one last time.