Why "cheesefest"? | Golden Skate

Why "cheesefest"?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder why all the misc. events (non-GP/non-major events) are called "cheesefests"? What is exactly so "cheesy" about them? Is it just the fact that they don't really matter that much? Just curious.

Rixis

On the Ice
I asked the same question.

DORISPULASKI said:
I believe the original format for these competitions were pro/ams. At which point they were kind of cheesy. You know, Josee Choiniard landing one triple in a Canadian cheesefest beats World champion skating a clean program was a possible outcome in the cheesefest format. Then the competition morphed into amateus only doing their complete LP's. At which point they were definitely not cheesy.

I always wondered whether the presence in the world of Cheesehead fans of the Packers influenced the original wit's choice of name. But it stuck, and 'challenges' is not a very compelling name. So people still call them cheesefests.

dpp

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for Asking Red Dog and Getting an Answer

Hey Red Dog, thanks for asking the question again about the cheesefests. I asked a while ago and didn't get an answer. I thought maybe our posters thought----Sheesh, she should know that. I really felt bad for a long time after that and didn't post for a while. Matter of fact I just sent Mathman a message asking the question again. Sorry Math, I should have read more and got my question answered without bothering you.

Dee

4dogknight

Final Flight
For the inquiring minds who want to know:

The word 'cheesy' is defined as (informal) of very poor quality. Synonyms: crummy cheap bum chintzy punk sleazy tinny. Related terms: Similar to inferior
Etymology: cheesy - "cheap, inferior," 1896, from Urdu chiz "a thing," picked up by British in India by 1818 and used in the sense of "a big thing." By 1858, cheesy had evolved a slang meaning of "showy," which led to the modern, ironic sense.

The word 'fest' is defined as:
Meeting or occasion marked by (such) activity <songfest>

So cheese fest, by definition is an occasion of poor quality or sleazy meeting.

Sorry Doris but the word cheese fest, the negative connotation as it is currently used, has nothing to do with the Green Bay Packers football team. (Although some might think the 29 year drought was indicative of a 'cheese fest' when the Pack met an opposing team.)

4dk – who has been a Packer Backer since 1948

I always thought "cheesefest" referred not to "cheesy" (of inferior quality) but to the idea of "cheesing for the camera." That is, the skaters spend a lot of time posing and grinning (saying "cheese") and are not very serious about competing.

Anyway, now that the Grand Prix has been "demoted" by ABC television, the so-called cheesefests are going to be the best competitions going.

Mathman:)