Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • I don't care

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters

Kasey

Medalist
I don't think that ice dancing is "hated", but rather, misunderstood. There are different rules, there are no jumps, no above the head lifts....in order to watch it and appreciate it, you have to either a). Be able to know that you are looking for different kind of talent and be able to appreciate the subtle things or b). Enjoy the music of the program and the expression of it or c). Have a fondness for (frequently, imo) over the top and gaudy costumes or d). Have the hots for a particular guy or gal ice dancer (Victor Kraatz comes to mind for me!).....It's a totally different aspect of figure skating, and many of the lesser knowledgeable figure skating fans would look at it, say "what, no jumps?" and turn it off.

Kasey

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Then at the Olys, I wouldn't say that was predetermined. L&A won bronze at Euros, but then was 4/5 split to win silver. B&K could have won bronze, but they fell on a simple cartwheel lift.

Just like Horoscopes, anyone can scewer any result to match their opinion.

MM fell flat on his face in SLC. You have absolutely no proof that the podium wouldn't have finished exactly as it did at Euros if MM had stood up. In fact, as you say, 4 judges still put FP&M ahead despite him falling flat on his face. Not perdetermined?

B&K could have won bronze, but they didn't. Personally, I didn't find their fall as bad as FP&M's, but the judges saw differently. If all 4 skated clean, B&K could still have finished 4th.

Until someone gets caught red handed, we'll never know if the judges predetermine or not, but your argument against it fails to move me and doesn't contain anything that I would call "proof".

Arwen

Rinkside
Well I think most people find ice dance boring because they don't understand what it's about. I also agree that the results are predetermined. Even lately when they have been trying to make it look like they are not - they are! For instance they might give someone 1st in CD; 2nd in OD just to make it look good; then 1st in FD again so they end up winning as planned. I think it is a very corrupt sport, and that's just my personal opinion. I haven't spent time researching it and found evidence to support my beliefs. I also think the US media doesn't treat ice dancing with respect and because of that alot of fans don't either.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I remember thinking the first time I watched ice dancing that these were the pair skaters who couldn't jump.
Besides Torvill and Dean, too many ice dancers still give me that feeling..

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I don't think Ice Dancing translates well on television. It is much more enjoyable in person and most people don't have the opportunity to see it in person.

Put me in the group that doesn't understand ice dance very well rather than "hates it".
I also am not thrilled with some of the outrageous costumes and over-done facial expressions and those programs that you just don't understand what the heck they are all about.
I like programs like B&K's "Riverdance" and "Return to Innocence", I find many of the programs Belbin & Agosto do very entertaining as well.
But as far as the technical aspects, what's correct and what's not, I'm just lost.