Wish list for 2012 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Wish list for 2012

Boeing787

On the Ice
In terms of programs whether short or long, I am not a fan of elite skaters that a program for a second consecutive year. Although I like Patrick Chan's skating, as a World Champion, there is no excuse for him to have used Take Five again this year for the SP. If he choses to keep his current LP for next year - that will be extremely disappointing.

Poor Patrick cannot afford to have two new programs every season. He gets no support from the Canadian government!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In terms of programs whether short or long, I am not a fan of elite skaters that a program for a second consecutive year. Although I like Patrick Chan's skating, as a World Champion, there is no excuse for him to have used Take Five again this year for the SP. If he choses to keep his current LP for next year - that will be extremely disappointing.

Other skaters are also keeping last year's programs because, as Brezina explains it, it was a very short summer after a very stressful period leading up to Worlds. Patrick's complex and difficult programs particularly need time to develop choreographically and technically so I understand why he chose to focus on the new LP. My wish is for him to skate his Aranjuez to its full glory this season so he will be satisfied with it and move on to new programs next year. I'm quite sure that is his wish too.

eta. Boeing, I seriously doubt his decision was due to financial reasons. He's not skimping in investing in his training and whatever it takes to excel and make his mark in the sport. Saving on clothes, yes, but skating programs, no.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
some wishes from me
that Keegan skates lights out at nationals in both the short and long programs and improves his standings (wouldn't mind a worlds trip) and that after this season he gets some new choreography. I get wanting to keep Rory, but he needs to take that next step. Time to explore other options.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Other skaters are also keeping last year's programs because, as Brezina explains it, it was a very short summer after a very stressful period leading up to Worlds. Patrick's complex and difficult programs particularly need time to develop choreographically and technically so I understand why he chose to focus on the new LP. My wish is for him to skate his Aranjuez to its full glory this season so he will be satisfied with it and move on to new programs next year. I'm quite sure that is his wish too.

eta. Boeing, I seriously doubt his decision was due to financial reasons. He's not skimping in investing in his training and whatever it takes to excel and make his mark in the sport. Saving on clothes, yes, but skating programs, no.

I was half joking. But seriously, the only season Patrick had both brand new programs was 2008-2009. There must be a reason for that. Budget could be part of the reason.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Carolina Kostner has used Lori Nichol since the 06/07 season, and has had all new choreography each year.

2. Chan's choreography is so staggeringly complex that he rarely skates is clean right off the bat. I'm fine with him keeping choreography that he hasn't nailed (which, of course, excludes "Take Five"), and if he doesn't nail Aranjuz, I want him to keep it.

3. Great figure skaters are like great actors - and I wouldn't want any one actor to stick with one writer/director/etc. I mean, James Stewart and Frank Capra? Awesome. But James Stewart and Alfred Hitchcock/Ernst Lubitsch/George Cukor, Anthony Mann? Also awesome. Consequently, I would hope that Chan seeks out other great choreographers like Steur, Wilson, Zoueva, Miyamoto, etc.

Becki

Medalist
I was half joking. But seriously, the only season Patrick had both brand new programs was 2008-2009. There must be a reason for that. Budget could be part of the reason.

In one interview, Patrick said he reuses programs because it is too tiring to learn two new programs in one season.....I believe he said this during the TEB 2011 press conference but don't quote me on that...lol

Boeing787

On the Ice
In one interview, Patrick said he reuses programs because it is too tiring to learn two new programs in one season.....I believe he said this during the TEB 2011 press conference but don't quote me on that...lol

Of course he won't admit budget is part of the reason, but somehow I think it is. We all know how high his expense is.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For 2009-10 season Patarick was really excited about his POTO LP but due to his injury and resulting short competitive season, he felt he didn't do the program justice so he decided to keep it, with substantial choreography changes along the way, first the mid slow section due to criticism of its repetitiveness, then changes to accomodate the new quads. Actually, he and Krall had asked Nichols at the beginning of 10/11 season to prepare the change for the second quad later on. As we know, he did get the program to the highest level in the sport by the last two competitions. Then, last season's end was delayed with much uncertainty, resulting in a short summer much of which Patrick spent in Asia doing shows in China and Korea whereas during previous summers he only did Yuna's shows in Korea. His earnings in the previous two seasons were low due to fewer competitions, because of his injury and in 2011, because of his decision to skip 4CC in Asia so he could focus on Worlds, thinking he would help win the later Team event in Japan for Canada and himself. Of course, that was cancelled.

Most of the skaters competing at 2011 Worlds were affected by the events, especially Patrick with his show commitments in Asia to raise funds for his training, and the Japanese who did benefit shows for their homeland. Consequently more skaters keep their programs this season and Kozuka and Oda have had a difficult time. Hopefully by now the top skaters are all more or less back on track and will show us what their programs should be, culminating in the show down at Worlds.

Yes so far Patrick has been changing one program per season, mostly because of the complexity and difficulty level of his programs but also the circumstances. Let's see what he will do next year as far as changing programs is concerned, especially if he could skate the current masterpiece of Aranjuez to a level he's happy with. Meanwhile, we see he has had no problems putting out new show programs in quick fashion. The technical and artistic level he requires of his competition programs is simply so demanding and at the edge of impossibility, needing time to optimize as he pursues their perfection.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
You know, it's actually interesting. In the run-up to the Olympic games, he mentioned that he was planning to lessen the transitions to help him get the quad. That plan went by the wayside with injury, of course, and I suppose he felt he needed the density of the choreography to make up on PCS what he lost out not having the quad. Interestingly, he'd rather rearrange jumps as opposed to lose the transitions now (in POTO, the spread eagle originally went into the 3R, but his loop is actually a weaker triple for him, so he switched it with the flip). I wouldn't mind seeing him lose a little of the transitions etc if it helped him with jump stability, but I also feel "Aranjuez" is a masterpiece of choreography as is, so I don't want to see any changes choreographically.

On the other hand, when you're capable of doing choreography at this level of complexity, I can see why you wouldn't want to dumb it down, regardless.

Yes, he did it great, this program he knew so well. Actually a little conservative on the speed. This is what we expect of someone with his natural ability. Clean program! what a joy!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Skateluvr gives winning advice to Worlds and Olympic champions without charge. What is your competitive edge? :)

I advised him not to use Requiem for his SP. I told him I did not think it was right for a largely American audience. He was polite, said he had a team to advise him. He ended up with the iconic "Winter" maybe the best men's SP of the 6.0 era, as skated by Yagudin of course. I think a lot of folks maybe gave same advice. Alexei did like being on internet talking to his fans. I think he listened to them and maybe this was part of his success.

And if Patrick's team or someone reads some forums, I hope he does listen to his fans. He gets a lot of good advice here and it is free!!!!!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I absolutely gave good advice to Yagudin. They scrapped 'Requiem' and found 'Winter.' I said Requiem was the wrong music and Americans would prefer something more upbeat, or uplifting. Blades is jealous! Didn't get to know Alexei online? Such a pity. Sometimes skaters cannot see at all what we fans can. :rolleye:

Just novice level thus far.[/QUOTE]

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont mind skaters keeping their programs -unless I m bored with it, but I m happy Daisuke and Hanyu changed both their programs since last season, and with all Japan difficult situation concidering, I love them this season.
And I wish Kozuka keeps the Lp for another season.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Dai and Mao win worlds with plenty of triple axels, quads and emotion.

Mirai skates like we know she can.

Wagner skates clean and makes the team.

Caroline skates well at Nats and is rewarded for it.

Abbott wins Nationals and skates like we know he can at worlds.

Marlie and Voir skate two fantastic programs at worlds and end up with a nail bitter finish of a few one-hundreths of a points in Marlie's favor.

Evan to stop the drama and come back already.

Plushenko to continue the drama and come back.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Can collective wishes, good intentions, sustained thoughts, meditation or prayer effect the outcome of an event? TM people say yes and claim that there are studies to prove that the crime rates go down when thousands are meditating on world peace at their Maharishi University in Iowa I believe. A TM master told me this decades ago and I recall nothing else. It would be east to research of course, but the collective "mind" of the GS community seems to have a consensus -well wishes with only one or two negative wishes for skating performances to come.

Many of us have a sincere desire to see Chan skate clean. Also there seems to be consensus to see Mao win this year.

There have been double blind, placebo controlled studies done on the outcome of prayer on such things as healing of heart after surgery, and whether there are less complications post surgery in the prayed for group. Results are mixed and this perhaps in something that can never be quantified by using standard scientific "research" methods.

What would be the odds of Ashley winning Nationals? Is there anyway to handicap a skaters chances in this years 'race' given the knowledge of the last 3 years and her top 4 competitors? An educated guess is what I ask. I have enjoyed seeing every posters wish list/where your heart is.

Its hard because one dream gives rise to another, or cancels out another. I decided I had many wishes for changes in the sport, but my hopes for success for different skaters were at odds in my head. World podiums should have 5 medals!

I also began wondering if someone's wish or prayer (same difference) was more powerful than anothers' wish?

I would be fun if GSers could agree on someone winning the bronze, say, in mens at Worlds and all posters meditated on this daily with intention. Can our thoughts/prayers cause a result? I have studied this for 25 years and still have only anecdotal answers pro and con.

I hope there are many who will "meditate" that Ashley, as underdog wins Nationals. Everyone seems to say it won't happen. How many prayers must be said for how long to move heaven? I think there is amathematical equation, a number or some as yet undiscovered way to "move" the hand of "god" if you will.

So much for late night sleepless musings. I just can't wait for Nationals! Time drags....