World's 2009 - Los Angeles | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World's 2009 - Los Angeles

R.D.

Record Breaker
Already women's and dance are packaged together as the main event, with men and pairs the undercard.

I think it was always like that. ABC's primetime Nats coverage consisted of the ladies short and free dance (taped) then live coverage of the final group of the ladies' free skate. The only exception was 2006 where they dedicated the entire broadcast to the ladies free skate, choosing not to show any short programs (they aired on ESPN at an earlier date).

ESPN, with their clever scheduling has decided to put a few GP events up as counterprogramming to the Disson shows.
RD - Do you really believe that ESPN stayed up all night in June to arrange their schedule to interfere with the Disson shows? How beastly of them. Fans are more interested in entertainment than they are in Sports. Am I correct? :biggrin:

As of now I do not see any GPs scheduled on Heather's.

But if a competition and an entertainments are scheduled for the same day and time, let's check to see what the Ratings are.Competitions or Entertainment?

Toni - Whatever turns you on is ok with me. I just skate to a different competitive drummer, and don't expect you to be ok with that.

Joe

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I'll take a competition anyday over an exhibition type program of any sort - BUT, since I am nearly always skating starved, I just wish the relatively few programs aired didn't compete with each other. I know - that's what VCR's and Tivo are for...just saying.

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD - Do you really believe that ESPN stayed up all night in June to arrange their schedule to interfere with the Disson shows? How beastly of them. Fans are more interested in entertainment than they are in Sports. Am I correct?

ESPN's a cable network while NBC is a broadcast network. Still, one has to wonder if show skating and competitive skating attract different audiences altogether. But apparently a lot of die-hard competitive skating fans like some of these other shows as well. That's why I wonder if ratings-wise, both networks will suffer from their competitor, and therefore doesn't make sense to use skating (although a different kind) against skating.

I still think there's a lot of skating on in the winter. Maybe it doesn't compare to 8 or 10 years ago, but it's still plenty. You still have all 7 of the GP events (including GPF), the 10 Disson events, the pro-ams, Ice Wars, US Nats, 4CC's, Worlds, Euros...in as little as a year that list may be cut in half.

ESPN's a cable network while NBC is a broadcast network. Still, one has to wonder if show skating and competitive skating attract different audiences altogether. But apparently a lot of die-hard competitive skating fans like some of these other shows as well. That's why I wonder if ratings-wise, both networks will suffer from their competitor, and therefore doesn't make sense to use skating (although a different kind) against skating.

I still think there's a lot of skating on in the winter. Maybe it doesn't compare to 8 or 10 years ago, but it's still plenty. You still have all 7 of the GP events (including GPF), the 10 Disson events, the pro-ams, Ice Wars, US Nats, 4CC's, Worlds, Euros...in as little as a year that list may be cut in half.
ESPN is ABC and don't fool yourself, and ABC is = to NBC.

We do have the remaining GPs on ESPN (ABC) from Oct-Dec. I make a point of seeing them. I do not make a point of watching the same old exhibitions.

Can you give me the Television dates of Ice Wars, 4CCs, Euros, Worlds. and on what channel they are being shown? I just don't think you know anymore than anyone else. Even Heather doesn't list them, tell me I'm incorrect.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
We don't know dates and broadcast times, but they WILL be on per TV contract. Come on now.

I don't have cable right now and may still not have it during the season. This means I can only catch SA and any GPs that might be shifted over to the ABC network. I was hoping someone would tape the ESPN coverage for me, but if not, maybe I can just do without it...who's there to get excited about, anyway?

We don't know dates and broadcast times, but they WILL be on per TV contract. Come on now.

I don't have cable right now and may still not have it during the season. This means I can only catch SA and any GPs that might be shifted over to the ABC network. I was hoping someone would tape the ESPN coverage for me, but if not, maybe I can just do without it...who's there to get excited about, anyway?
That's my point. We don't know anything further about TV and figure skating and I think we should mention these events when we do.

Don't despair, you will be able to see all those cutsey holiday skates on CBS and NBC.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner! Elena Gedevanishvili! Ashley Wagner! Davis and White! McLaughlin and Brubaker! Dare I say, Caroline Zhang!!!

and are you willing to pay the cable bill to let me see them? :p

Just kidding, of course. I bet I'll be able to catch them on Youtube, anyway...likely even before ESPN airs the competition.

I bet I'll be able to catch them on Youtube, anyway...likely even before ESPN airs the competition.
In all seriousness, I think that's where this is headed. All the people who care about figure skating competitions will come to the message boards, youtube, various Internet feeds, etc.

By the time ESPN gets around to showing it, the moment will have passed and the true figure skating fans will be on to the next event rather than watching the rehash on TV.

JMO.

and are you willing to pay the cable bill to let me see them? :p

Just kidding, of course. I bet I'll be able to catch them on Youtube, anyway...likely even before ESPN airs the competition.
There is a big difference between Youtube and Ice NetWork. The latter you see All the skaters in the competition right then and there. With Youtube you see one skater at different times - probably not all, and worse, maybe no one put up a podium finisher.

The cost of Ice NetWork last season was $25 for the season. I don't know if they will raise that price due to the presumed additional coverage they will be responsible for. Note: these comps can not be transferred to others as youtube presentaton can be.

This, of course, will be for serious sports minded competitive viewers. Worth saving up the pennies. For those not so sports minded can always enjoy the Cheesefests, and the Disson Shows.

That's the way it looks to me so far. Hopefully NBC has bigger plans.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just because someone isn't going to spend money to view the sport, it doesn't make them less worthy of a fan. or just someone who likes cheesefests.

just because someone isn't going to spend money to view the sport, it doesn't make them less worthy of a fan. or just someone who likes cheesefests.
Not at all. Before Youtube, I would eagerly wait for someone's review of the GP events in Golden Skate, and still do. No way will I be able to fly to Tokyo, Beijing, Paris, Moscow in any given year.

I'll fork up the cost of Ice Network and hope it covers the missing GPs next year.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Actually, that would be interesting. I'm not real sure whether Ice Network is USFS' property or not but that's another option for GP event coverage in the future. ISU should look into that, definitely. Put the 4CC's/Euros/Worlds in a potential TV deal and leave to GP events to online coverage/Ice Network.