Yagudin: "I am dying from boredom skating in the shows& | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yagudin: "I am dying from boredom skating in the shows&

J

Jules Asner

Re: Yagudin interview

Its funny, someone on this thread who seems very upset at Yags being criticized was opening critizing and making fun of Emanuel Sandhu's face on another post not too long ago and pretty much told another poster who didn't like the topic to get lost. O the hypocrisy! :rollin:

Yags sounds very simliar to Michelle here in that he doesn't want to skate if he's not competing. Can't really blame him. I'm glad he did not give up his eligibility.

P

Pather2000

<em>HERE HERE JULES, I noticed that also. But, then again Like someone stated this post was statred so the bashers can come out & play;) . Skating Fans Know About Alexei & how he speaks his mind. I do not belive in any way that he hates( meaing Really hates) doing the tour. He hates not being able to compete. He is a very intense skater & lives to compete. The tour while maybe long & hard. Touring just doesn't get his juices going. He could have chosen his words better. But, he doesn't read from a script on the Politically Correct words to use. He isn't a Ken Doll made of plastic who is always so Correct. He speaks from his heart. & The Fans ALL who see him knows this when they see him skate or even read show reviews.

For those who couldn't or won't understand what he is saying in that interview. Here it is. HE MISSES THE COMPETITION. & the Touring Life of Professional Skater is not for him right now.:smokin: </em>

D

Dee4707

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>For those who couldn't or won't understand what he is saying in that interview. Here it is. HE MISSES THE COMPETITION. & the Touring Life of Professional Skater is not for him right now.[/quote]
Pather, I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Dee

N

NansXOXOX

Speaking as someone who did pay "big bucks" several times to see this particular tour and all the skaters who performed in it, let me just state that at no time was I ever made aware by their performances that Alexei or any of the other cast members were not happy to be there skating. Each cast member, including Alexei, delivered outstanding performances each of the six times I attended and there was never even a hint that anyone wasn't giving 100% of what they had available to give each and every time. Conversations with those individuals sitting around me lead me to believe that was the feeling of those spectators in attendance. Some may not have cared for an individual program here or there, but there was never a question as to the skater's commitment to perform well for the audience.

Given Alexei's current situation, touring may not have been as satisfying as he hoped it would be and he is anxious to get back to the competitive scene if at all possible (and I for one hope it is!), but he never gave a hint of this dissatisfaction to the audience in any of the shows I attended.

Nan

G

Grannyfan

I can reiterate what Nan said. I've only seen this year's SOI once, but it was last Saturday, Alexei's fourth show in four days, one of which was in Monaco. He had to be dead tired and probably in pain, but he performed with as much intensity as ever. He appeared to be having a great time in the group numbers, too.

Linda

P

Patinaje

I thought that by now, nobody will be surprised by Yagudin's comments, LOL

He has spoken many times about his love for competition, I have not doubt that he is missing it a lot this season.

One way or another these last remarks, are not good PR specially for the people that are paying him to be one of the stars on the show, and that's unfortunate.

About the lack of training, it was my understanding that he doesn't practice, (and he could, 45 mins each day of performance as the others do), because he reserve himself for the show, what under the circumstances seems to be very wise.

Bottom line there is not such a thing as "bad publicity", as long as people keep talking about you :D

Regarding next season, I wish that he can go back to competitions and leave SOI for those skaters that are happy to be there.

Maria

J

Joesitz

Pather; Jules - He was at Worlds and he was looking intently at the Figure Skating and the Judges. It had to get to him with the roars going up for those special skaters. He knows he could have got a big roar especially when the Men's event went on. I believe he does want to compete!!

Poor guy. I worry more about the hip than the medals. I would imagine he would not be doing triple triples or quad triples in his "show" routine. I believe he's ben around since 1994 (same as Michelle). Did you know his nickname is Alyosha?

Anyone have further news on the hip?

Joe

J

Jules Asner

Joe, Pather, Dee et. al.- ITA it must be very hard for him to watch the men competing while he is sitting in the stands watching and wanting to be out there. I hope he is able to compete next season and that his hip holds up.

I saw SOI this season and I thought he performed very well. It's probably not touring that he dislikes so much, but rather touring during the competitive season. Plus its a big transition from COI which is a much larger group of people touring together (more ladies for Yags to choose from ;) ) He may have enjoyed the tour more if he had Tara to cuddle up to on the bus.

L

Linny

Christy Whitman

Just a little while back, then New Jersey Governor Christy Whitman got in big trouble when she referred to someone as a schmuck. Apparently, it's a Yiddish world for male genetalia. Guess if you don't know Yiddish, it's probably better not to borrow their insults.
Linny

J

Jules Asner

Re: Christy Whitman

a lot of people in NY-NJ use the word Schmuck - what a great word -first the harsh SCHHHH sound and then capping it off with the intense MUCK, it really packs a punch when you want to insult someone, much more so than calling someone a "Jerk". Of course, it's not something that should be coming out of the governor's mouth. Another great word: "Jackass"

N

NancyH

LOL, this discussion is taking us into weird areas, isn't it? I do speak Yiddish and I think you (or the article you read) may be referring to the word "putz" which refers to undersized or inadequate male equipment (and if often used as an insult of a man). A "schmuck" is (loosely translated) a jerk but things in Yiddish never have real English equivalents so it's a jerk <em>but ever so much more</em>...LOL The person who used the word schmuck may be wrong or right about Alexei Yagudin but I think they said the word they meant.

Nancy

R

Russian Fan

Yiddish

Oh, Linny, the key word in your text is "apparently".
And I am familiar with Yiddish, and I know the literal meaning of this word.
In American English its meaning and inflections, however, are different.
Here is a brief explanation:

"Schmuck, a Yiddish word, has a range of meaning depending on context. In its most innocuous use, a schmuck is a person who does a stupid thing, in which case Òdumb schmuckÓ is the appropriate expression."

www.schmucku.com/definition.html

And that's exactly what I meant

Q

QuadAxel

Re: Yagudin: "I am dying from boredom skating in the sh

Hmmmmmmm......

So what you're saying is he's a schmuck AND a putz...
oh the poor thing! - no WONDER he's depressed...the
feelings of inadequacy, ahem, must be overwhelming.;)

J

Joesitz

What on earth does all this have to do with Yags' wanting to get back into the swing of things of competitive skating. All right, he's been around for a long time. He is heavy laden with medals. So what, let him skate competitively. It's his decision.

Joe

R

RealtorGal

Shmuck

We do say "shmuck" and mean "jerk" but the actual meaning in Yiddish is ever so much more crude! :eek:

N

NancyH

Joe - aside from the Yiddish aspects of all of this - I don't think anyone (regardless of linguistic preference) ever said he shouldn't skate competitively if that's his desire. My point was that he didn't have to dump on the show skating that's making him a fortune in order to indicate that competitive skating is really important to him.

Nancy

M

mike79

I don't think he was intentionally bashing pro skating. I think that Yagudin rarely minces words and speaks what's on his mind. When a skater of his calibre is forced to sit and watch others compete it must get his competitive juices flowing. I find his candor to be quite refreshing compared to other skaters who always give the politically correct answers.

H

heyang

NansXOXOX,

Did you mean you've attended SOI during 6 seasons OR that you attended SOI 6 times This Year? If it's the latter, I am amazed considering the cost of the tickets. Do you also attend COI as often?

N

NansXOXOX

heyang,

I went to SOI six times this year. I know that sounds excessive, and it is if I did that every year, but this year was special. It has been many, many years since I have been able to attend a "live" show and last year my husband finally found a job after two years of unemployment, so each member of my family picked our own special "treat" to celebrate. My husband took a two week fishing trip to Louisiana with "the guys," my daughter got to go to New York City and dance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I got skating! It started out as three SOI shows, but by driving a very fuel efficient car on my trips, packing food to eat in the car, staying with friends and relatives for the venues out of town and one chaotic e-bay bidding war, it grew to six! Only once with a seat on the ice, but the others were no further back than the fifth row. I was very lucky!

I did attend one COI show last summer, but doubt I'll go to another one as long as SOI comes to our area, and I combined a trip to visit with my sister and a STN show in Canada last spring, too. It's been a year like no other and not likely to happen again anytime soon! It's what made me doubly grateful that the whole SOI cast was so wonderful and put forth such a great effort at every show.

Nan