Your best bet for the Russian Olympic ladies team | Golden Skate

Your best bet for the Russian Olympic ladies team

prorussian fan

On the Ice
Right now my bet for the Olympic team is Kamila, Sasha and Anna. Liza has come a long way but I don't see her beating Sasha and Anna at nationals. I also don't see RusFed leaving her world champion and three-time national champion at home, Anna is a lock and the judges love her. Aliona is on a downward spiral, and these are the consequences of her decisions last season.

For the team event I clearly see Anna in the short program and Kamila for the long program. What do you think?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Right now my bet for the Olympic team is Kamila, Sasha and Anna. Liza has come a long way but I don't see her beating Sasha and Anna at nationals. I also don't see RusFed leaving her world champion and three-time national champion at home, Anna is a lock and the judges love her. Aliona is on a downward spiral, and these are the consequences of her decisions last season.

For the team event I clearly see Anna in the short program and Kamila for the long program. What do you think?
They might want someone with a 3A for the SP, so I would think Kamila for the SP and Sasha/Anna for the FS if the team would be like that.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
If the Olympics were tomorrow, Kamila, Sasha, and Liza, but I'm hoping by January it's Kamila, Anna, and Sasha. I wish so much that Alena was the skater she was in 2019-2020, though. I'm just not sure who she would take the place of. I wish Russia was allowed more spots, but I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of smaller skating federations.

Amei

Record Breaker
Liza has come a long way but I don't see her beating Sasha and Anna at nationals. I also don't see RusFed leaving her world champion and three-time national champion at home, Anna is a lock and the judges love her.

It depends on Shcherbakova's form is, she needs at least 1 quad back consistently, if she does that I foresee her going over Tuktamysheva because Shcherbakova's layout is more forgiving to mistakes additionally as you said - Shcherbakova is the 3-time consecutive National champ and reigning world champ. Tuktamysheva has been great these 2 competitions she's been in, but her layouts are generally weaker than the others and depend on her being clean.

Aliona is on a downward spiral, and these are the consequences of her decisions last season.

She's looked the most lackluster of the group, but it wouldn't surprise me if she did manage to put up a fight. I still question the decision to go back to Eteri, when she left there was nothing nice to be said about Eteri and the environment and I doubt that changed in less than a year, was it perhaps things said out of anger, might have been, but then they've all kind of referenced that Diana convinced Eteri to take her back.

I think they would go with a skater that has a triple axel for the SP.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So many worthy choices. Right now my pick would be Kamilla, Liza and Sasha. However, with Sasha's injury Anna would be a consideration, Maia maybe Daria and Aliona also but th Russian Fed is not backing Aliona right now. but if she starts performing who knows. The injury to Sasha is a big concern and Liza's found consistency might be key factors. Liza still does not pull in huge pcs.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
if we were picking right now, Kamila, Liza and Sasha.

it will likely be different in 2 months.
This is the only sensible answer. However I’m not going to pretend it isn’t fun to guess.

If I was betting my own money I’d say Kamila, Sasha and… Anna. However until Europeans you just can’t say.

Arbitrary

Medalist
There is just a short list to choose from. Only three skaters available right now with some decent BV.

Shcherbakova
Tuktamisheva
Valieva
With Kostornaya as a reserve.

The rest either too young or not fit to skate in three months with medical issues.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I hope for Kamila, Sasha and....Anna.

But at the same time it breaks my heart if Liza is not going. I'm really loving her this season. She has never been this good! Maybe they can send her for the Team Event? Is that allowed? Her 3A is super consistent and she would be great in the Team Short.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kamila, Liza, and Sasha. Alena is probably my favorite of the group but I don't think she has enough time left to regain her confidence. As far as Anna, I'm not convinced her quads will ever be reliable enough to count on her landing them in any given competition, and Liza is now achieving scores that would top a clean but quad-less Anna. Liza has also twice topped Trusova's clean, one quad Skate America effort, so the former might actually be the second favorite for the team after Kamila.

Ivana

On the Ice
Right this moment Valieva, Trusova and Tuktamysheva, but that might change quickly. I would love to see Khromykh sneak in there in the end, probably the most underestimated of Eteri girls right now.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I hope for Kamila, Sasha and....Anna.

But at the same time it breaks my heart if Liza is not going. I'm really loving her this season. She has never been this good! Maybe they can send her for the Team Event? Is that allowed? Her 3A is super consistent and she would be great in the Team Short.
Nope, no extra skaters for the Team Event. You can only use people from the pool of qualified slots.