Youtuber | Golden Skate

Youtuber

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornelussen

Rinkside
Hi guys. What's up?
So I've been thinking lately about this YouTuber that had really great insights on major figure skating competitions and her analysis was so on point: she went by the name Koola King. Does anyone know anything about her? She kept throwing those warnings to ISU, and maybe she was silenced or something god forbid?

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Actually I think that YouTube channel was a terrible place. They did mention some good points - Yuna deserved to win Sochi, Evgenia is overscored, prerotation and flutzes are very common, but the way they did so was so rude. Also, they aren't even always correct. Example, they said Evgenia has bad jumps, as in all jumps. That's just incorrect! Her salchow and loop are two of the best in the ladies field currently. I also remember how Koola King literally attacked Elizaveta Berestovskaya who was like what, 11?, at that time. Come on! I think there are some other excellent YouTube channels that call out issues in figure skating without personally attacking skaters.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Actually I think that YouTube channel was a terrible place. They did mention some good points - Yuna deserved to win Sochi, Evgenia is overscored, prerotation and flutzes are very common, but the way they did so was so rude. Also, they aren't even always correct. Example, they said Evgenia has bad jumps, as in all jumps. That's just incorrect! Her salchow and loop are two of the best in the ladies field currently. I also remember how Koola King literally attacked Elizaveta Berestovskaya who was like what, 11?, at that time. Come on! I think there are some other excellent YouTube channels that call out issues in figure skating without personally attacking skaters.

We hardly needed some Youtuber to figure that one out ;)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We hardly needed some Youtuber to figure that one out ;)
You know some people might - shockingly - believe Adelina DID deserve to win...or rather it was a close thing and Adelina ALSO deserves not to be dragged - 7 years later! - every time.

Far as I know Yuna has got over it or didn't seem too upset in the first place. It'd be nice if "Wuz robbed" crowd could too.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are a lot of adjectives I could use to describe Koola King.

All of them would get blocked by the profanity filter and probably get me banned.

Good riddance to that absolute stain on the skating world.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Honestly it's probably for the better that they're gone, I hope they suddenly realized their mistake and tried to move on from it. But then the question is why it would be so suddenly, without explanation, leaving at the time they did?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
You know some people might - shockingly - believe Adelina DID deserve to win...or rather it was a close thing and Adelina ALSO deserves not to be dragged - 7 years later! - every time.

Far as I know Yuna has got over it or didn't seem too upset in the first place. It'd be nice if "Wuz robbed" crowd could too.

I was just makin' a joke, But if we must:

If you wanna look away from corruption that's on you 🤷‍♂️

That controversy was never about any specific skater or their achievements

I'm assuming a mod will eventually erase our back and forth ;)

Sk8FraSch

Rinkside
Hi guys. What's up?
So I've been thinking lately about this YouTuber that had really great insights on major figure skating competitions and her analysis was so on point: she went by the name Koola King. Does anyone know anything about her? She kept throwing those warnings to ISU, and maybe she was silenced or something god forbid?
Poor soul.

Great laugh though. Thanks.

cornelussen

Rinkside
Totally valid point, thanks.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Koola King had people literally so brainwashed that their fans wrote dozens of "prEroTaTiOn!!!!! -5 GOE penalty. COrRuPtioooon!!!!!!" comments under Salchow and Loop compliation videos. That Salchows and Loops naturally have more prerotation than toe jumps due to them being edge jumps flew by them.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Koola King and other similar experts have served to convince me not to have significant issues with the judging and outcome of any figure skating competition ever held, with two exceptions:

- Salt Lake City Olympics 2002 pair skating competition where judging corruption was proved:
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Olympics 1936 ladies' singles competition where the final starting order was probably doctored to increase the likelyhood of a result pleasing to a very nasty man with a mustache.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
hey, not that I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with pre-rotations and stuff, but I think we need to differentiate between a message and a way to deliver a message.
Koola was downright obsessed with bringing Evgenia down, perhaps because she beat Yuna’s record, and thus was seen as “another Adelina” in her eyes. I think around 80-90% of all her videos were about Evgenia, which is quite telling. This isn’t technical analysis anymore, it’s bullying.
Besides, her technical information was not accurate (more often than not). For example, she was insistent that Evgenia has a toe-axel. She might not have had a great axel, but it wasn’t a toe-axel. I personally find that there’s a lot of bias and manipulation in her videos.

what happened to her? I would say she probably moved out of college/school, entered a new phase of her life and had less time to obsess over Evgenia’s pre-rotations. Honestly, good for her, but I won’t say her presence is greatly missed.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Maybe it wasn't intended to start that way. But it sure became that way when the death threats against Adelina and her family started rolling in - and never stopped rolling even after 7 years.

That's terrible and kinda crazy

And also beside the point

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's terrible and kinda crazy

And also beside the point
I'm not so sure about that. Had Carolina Kostner or Gracie Gold won it would have been a huge story of triumph and rising to the moment.

But since it was a dirty, cheating, no-good Russian obviously it was shonky, because Russians can't win anything fairly am I right 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.