Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17

Tutto

Record Breaker
aw huge thanks!:love:
I usually suck at translations:biggrin:

You are welcome! I am not too good myself. I notice that Russian & English in my head exist in sort of parallel way, I understand both 100% but to translate from Russian is not easy, the very structure of Russian lingo is so different. Do you agree or it is just me..:)

paulusfr

On the Ice
http://doverennielitsa.ru/topic/8900
Tarasova (TAT) thinks even if K/S skated perfectly most likely they will not be able to fight against Canadians and Chinese :eek:hwell: First of all she talks about the technical complexity and the execution of the program. It's a bit weird to hear something like that even if she's right in something. Anyway, she could support them instead of saying they haven't any chances.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, at least she does say:

"I love Tamara Moskvina and I think the program Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Smirnov, one of the best general in the pairs figure skating"

but I agree that I feel she is selling them short - they aren't that bad technically - I mean it's not as if they are turning up with all doubles! - and the quad throw? - is that chopped liver?

Also she seems to fancy T/M's chances to be higher - which I cannot agree with, much as I'm fond of them as well. Surely K/S have the far better chance to place higher than T/M?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
http://doverennielitsa.ru/topic/8900
Tarasova (TAT) thinks even if K/S skated perfectly most likely they will not be able to fight against Canadians and Chinese :eek:hwell: First of all she talks about the technical complexity and the execution of the program. It's a bit weird to hear something like that even if she's right in something. Anyway, she could support them instead of saying they haven't any chances.
I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, she does compliment their coach and their programs. She's not entirely off-base due to BV (D/R) and GOE (Chinese teams) if all go clean.

However, she's underselling K/S. They might not have the best GOE, but they do not lack complexity: 4S anyone? What makes the pairs event so exciting is how everyone sans D/R are so close together. If K/S and the three Chinese pairs all go clean, I have no idea who would come out on top. I could see arguments being made for any one of them, because they all have their own strengths as well as very pleasing programs. I wouldn't write anyone off.

Seems like the old Moscow-St. Peterburg rivalry all over... I try to keep an open mind, because TAT has pulled for St. Petersburg skaters in the past when her own students aren't in the race, but the comments about T/M having good chances is sending "politics!" bells going off in my head.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
You are welcome! I am not too good myself. I notice that Russian & English in my head exist in sort of parallel way, I understand both 100% but to translate from Russian is not easy, the very structure of Russian lingo is so different. Do you agree or it is just me.
sure sure the structure is very diff.
But by no means Im that well versed in english so i cant totally compare (tho I did graduate from foreign language faculty I was just a sucky student:p)
Imo its much easier to translate from Eng to russian than the other way round

I do adore TM but I get more or less what TAT is saying
But my problem is unfortunately when K/S are skating my hands almost clutching armrests:hopelessness: imo their problem is inconsistency
In contrast watching D/R (while not being their fan) it almost always seems like its a walk in the park for them:biggrin: & they're always with the Hollywood smiles on their faces etc I get why the gudges are awarding them in tech elements (I wont talk about presentation cause its something else for me))))

With chinese pairs K/S def can be on even ground imo technically
In terms of artistic presentation K/S (& Pang/Tong) should be waay higher than both T/M & D/R (& I'd put them higher than other 2 chinese pairs too)
But thats just me:hopelessness:

btw the starting order has them performing after T/M
wont be watching live
too much stress!:drama:

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm definitely planning on watching live - but I'm trying to put a lid on my wishes & expectations. Not that I don't have any - I'm just trying to pretend that I don't. How's it going? So far... so-so, but less well as the competition approaches. ;) And now I've got that nasty quesy feeling in my stomach... (grimaces)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm definitely planning on watching live - but I'm trying to put a lid on my wishes & expectations. Not that I don't have any - I'm just trying to pretend that I don't. How's it going? So far... so-so, but less well as the competition approaches. ;) And now I've got that nasty quesy feeling in my stomach... (grimaces)

Only just now? I have that for a good week before the competition...:laugh: (but usually just for "my" men - I don't worry too much about the pairs, just because they seem to be less volatile, although after Euros I might feel differently... :think:).

LRK

Record Breaker
Only just now? I have that for a good week before the competition...:laugh: (but usually just for "my" men - I don't worry too much about the pairs, just because they seem to be less volatile, although after Euros I might feel differently... :think:).

What can I say? - I'm good at denial. ;)

ETA - I think I'm most anxious about the pairs and Liza this year, actually - not so much the men. Or I'm just still in denial about them, and we'll see what happens come the actual competition. :)

Last edited:

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
well I did caved in & watched live :biggrin:

K/S short prog

(Brit Eurosport)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9RbUxHRUyc

(Спорт)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3yQwKn4cqE

(russian Eurosport with Max Trankov commentating)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydF9SqYMUlw

4th right now:frown:
but the scores are so close so Manfred can still win the hearts of the judges so I still hope for a medal:bow:

LRK

Record Breaker
They were just lovely. :) Hoping for a clean skate tomorrow! (I said a little prayer for them to be clean when they were getting ready to start... that's all I asked for.)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
They were just lovely. :) Hoping for a clean skate tomorrow! (I said a little prayer for them to be clean when they were getting ready to start... that's all I asked for.)

:thumbsup: and only 0,04 points to bronze !!! I like the young Chinese pair but K/S so classic pair for me. They deserve a medal in this year.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Yuko/Sasha's SP PCS should be the highest among other pairs! It is a pity that they made a small error on their ending spins.

LRK

Record Breaker
Alexander Smirnov: "Upset to tears, seeing that we have the rotation of the third level"
:no:

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/1028312709.html

"We went on this World Cup - the only pair from St. Petersburg to show our wonderful programs. Very much hoping that in addition to elements of these programs will appreciate, it is no wonder we are so long in the making. In fact, this Olympic program."

Awww! I hope they know that lots of people appreciate their programs and the effort they've put into them - the craftsmanship, I'd like to say, if that isn't the wrong word.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
LRK;1124078 Awww! I hope they know that lots of people appreciate their programs and the effort they've put into them - the craftsmanship said:
Their program is truly a Piece of Art!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Their LP is their true masterwork, imo. I'm just glad it wasn't another GPF situation, and the short was clean. Should they skate the LP like Skate America, they could be as high as silver (I hope for gold but that seems impossible for all but one team...).

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Alexander Smirnov: "Upset to tears, seeing that we have the rotation of the third level"
:no:

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/1028312709.html
ugh Sasha bb! :cry: I cant phisically see both him & Yuko upset. It hurts my soul! Go St.Pete! its really a meaningful event not only for them but for the whole city. I loved how Tamara & them thanked & said such warm words for all the people here It was lovely:love:
I bet they know that people want medals yes but K/S are already remembered even if they just retire tomorrow. So much love in the comments section! lovely to read. Medals are medals but public love & admiration sure means a lot

But really its all on them! levels are levels. LP is in their hands!

Yuko/Sasha's SP PCS should be the highest among other pairs! It is a pity that they made a small error on their ending spins.
they dont have a right even for that. need to go absolutely cean (& stil they wont get the highest PCS its the reality) Lets hope it all aligns today.

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
If some opportunity is gone, it will probably never be retrieved. I feel sad for them and their legendary coach Moskvina. :cry: Perhaps it is time for them to say goodbye to the rink now. A real champion should own not only excellent skills but also a brave heart and nerves of steel under great pressure. To be honest, Sui/Han deserve to be the world champions tonight, for their FS is such a wonder to watch!!! :love::clap::rock: