Yuna Kim | Page 303 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i guess this is the video where Jo In Sung said Yuna is his ideal type? :laugh:no idea what he is saying other than he wants her signature though :biggrin: but he picked her among some popular singers/actresses :luv17: which shows how popular she really is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go74iQC6CXA

edit: reading comments its only about their look i guess? but still not surprised cause she is gorgeous :luv17:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Japan Times interviewed David Wilson. He talked about his career, Yuzuru, Medvedeva and of course Yuna, among other things. A great interview! :luv17:

Here's the part about Yuna Kim:

Yuna and the path to glory

Wilson is perhaps best known for his long association with Yuna Kim. The two forged a partnership that has endured through the years. “I just did ‘All That Skate’ again with Yuna in South Korea,” Wilson said. “She came to work with me in Toronto for four days.”

Wilson said Yuna’s call came at the right time for him.

“I had just lost my dog (Hunter) March 11, and then they called me to do the show, and then two weeks later she decided to skate in it,” Wilson stated. “I hadn’t talked to Yuna in about 3½ years. So it was just heaven sent. It was such a pick-me-up in my life because I love this woman. I absolutely adore her.

“During the eight years I worked with her I had the kind of connection that is only going to happen a few times in your whole career,” Wilson offered. “It was interesting to watch her. She went home with what I gave her. No jumps, she hasn’t skated in four years, just a couple of spins, and she just wanted something that was pure and beautiful, not dramatic.”

Wilson detailed how Yuna’s approach to skating in the show had not changed from her days as a fierce competitor.

“People were sending me practice videos two or three times a week. I was sending notes back,” Wilson noted. “She only had a couple of months to prepare. She tackled that experience like an Olympic champion.

“My point behind saying this is that all of these people are OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). They all are. You can’t be Olympic champion without being obsessive. You just can’t. Show me one. I would love to meet them. It doesn’t exist.”

Wilson choreographed every short program and free skate for Yuna from the 2007-08 season until she retired after the 2014 Sochi Games. The results of their time together yielded an Olympic gold (2010) and silver (2014) as well as two senior world titles (2009, 2013).

Yuna’s short program to a medley from James Bond movies in Vancouver remains one of the sport’s iconic images.

New York Post columnist Mike Vaccaro wrote during the Vancouver Games that “watching Yuna Kim skate is like watching Michael Jordan play basketball.”

Wilson detailed for Ice Time the story of how he came to be Yuna’s choreographer.

“Yuna came to me at a time where I was a little bit disillusioned with my career,” Wilson recalled. “I had a certain amount of success working with international clients. Some of it had gone well, some of it had been a little frustrating.

“I called Sebastian Britten, who was one of my first clients. A gorgeous skater. I built my whole career on the shoulders of the work I did with Sebastian. He was teaching at the time.

“I told him, ‘There is this Korean girl, she wants to work with me. I don’t know. I’m kind of sick of working with these international clients, because you never know if they are going to come back. You don’t know what they are going to do with your work.’

“Sebastian was coaching at the time and had been out on the Junior Grand Prix circuit. He was like, ‘David, you have to do it, because that girl is it. It starts and stops with her. She is everything.’ “

Wilson talked about how he had earlier turned down the chance to work with Yuna.

“So I said yes. It turns out two years prior, when she was training up in Barrie (Ontario), they had already asked me but it was way late in the season. I didn’t know who she was,” Wilson stated. “So it didn’t happen and she ended up working with Jeff Buttle, who was still competing then.

“When she came over, I had very low expectations. I called Jeff and asked him what it was like working with her and he said, ‘She is not a very happy skater. She is not a very happy girl.’

“She was very stone-faced. Almost no emotion,” Wilson commented. “She could not speak a word of English. So I had to figure out if I could connect.”

Wilson then described how the synergy for Yuna’s success came about.

“That first program was a long program (for the 2006-07 season). Brian and Tracy (Wilson) had just taken over temporarily at the Cricket Club. He told me, ‘Any kids you have bring them to the Cricket Club. There is nobody on the ice. Private ice.'”

Wilson made it his mission to bring Yuna out of her shell.

“Basically I made it my own little obsession. If I can make this girl smile, if I can make her enjoy herself,” Wilson said. “Slowly and surely I started to see her getting me.

“Then they came back and they asked Brian to coach her and it evolved into this. A year and a half later she got her braces off and she wasn’t stone-faced anymore. Nothing will make a girl not smile more than having braces.

“She got her braces off and suddenly she was this gorgeous creature with her hair flowing and end of story,” Wilson remarked. “We connected very early on.

“I remember at one point going to Brian and saying, ‘This girl is fully lights on. Everything is on. She is actually one of us. She can’t speak English yet, but she gets my humor and she feels everything I’m talking about. She gets every nuance of the music. It just doesn’t show yet.’ “

Wilson says that despite the incredible fame she has achieved, Yuna has remained grateful and open-minded.

“I’ve been teaching for 27 years, and I can’t think of anyone — in spite of how great she is — being more thankful and open to whatever I have to contribute,” Wilson noted. “Everything I have said to her she has taken to heart.”

And he talked about Orser/Yuna split:

Yuna-Orser split painful

Wilson and Yuna’s relationship was put to the test when she and Orser shockingly parted company just months after her victory at the 2010 Olympics.

Ice Time asked Wilson to provide his take on the row that put him in a very difficult situation.

“It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever gone through in my professional career. Very emotional,” Wilson acknowledged. “It was very awkward for all of us.”

Wilson says that Orser, in the midst of the crisis, would not let it affect his relationship with his compatriot.

“The testament to Brian is, how big can a person be that he has not allowed the fact that I continued on with Yuna . . . I really never had any part in the issue,” Wilson stated. “I don’t even know what exactly it was that went wrong between them. To this day I don’t know.

“They know that I still have a very meaningful relationship with Brian. A very ongoing working relationship with Brian and a personal relationship with Brian. And Brian knows that I have maintained a fantastic relationship with Yuna,” Wilson continued.

“I just feel really lucky that everyone was able to move on and do what they had to do. I managed to weather the storm. I was Switzerland,” Wilson said with a laugh.

“Initially I tried to save it. I would go to one side and say, ‘Can’t we just sit down and talk as if we’re family? Then I would go to the other side and say, ‘Can’t you just open up?’

“It was an acute, surprising, confusing situation. I didn’t see it coming. I don’t think Brian did,” Wilson commented. “I spent the first few weeks thinking I could fix it. They would both politely tell me it was none of my business. So there wasn’t much I could do.”

Wilson was heartbroken to see Yuna depart from Toronto.

“I didn’t want her to leave. It was beautiful what we had. Those four years at the Cricket Club were beautiful,” Wilson stated. “It was tragic. It’s still sad. It’s a shame it had to end that way.

“I’m happy she has gone on to be happy and successful in her life and so has he. All these years past I think there is no ill will at all. Brian doesn’t have any and I’m sure Yuna doesn’t either.”

Here's the full interview: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...-legend-david-wilson-man-demand/#.W3xZ3-hKjIU

:agree:

Warwick360

Medalist
J
“I didn’t want her to leave. It was beautiful what we had. Those four years at the Cricket Club were beautiful,” Wilson stated. “It was tragic. It’s still sad. It’s a shame it had to end that way.

I’m happy she has gone on to be happy and successful in her life and so has he. All these years past I think there is no ill will at all. Brian doesn’t have any and I’m sure Yuna doesn’t either.”[/I]

:sad21::sad4:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I hate when I find these things related to Yuna but I can’t understand one word!

https://youtu.be/IF5Y4-nT5r0

I have no idea who this person is(well, apparently, a popular YouTuber) but she’s talking about Yuna Kim? Or something related to her? Maybe she’s just clickbaiting. [emoji23]

ava

On the Ice
I hate when I find these things related to Yuna but I can’t understand one word!

https://youtu.be/IF5Y4-nT5r0

I have no idea who this person is(well, apparently, a popular YouTuber) but she’s talking about Yuna Kim? Or something related to her? Maybe she’s just clickbaiting. [emoji23]
I can relate to your struggles:laugh:
Not knowing korean I had the impression from the video that this girl had met Yuna accidentally and was stunned by her beauty:scratch2:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Happy Birthday to Yuna! I've never realized that this birthday greeting can be a nice rhyme for her as it sounds like Happy Birthday to You-Na. :luv17:

Again, Long Live the Queen, our beautiful and amazing Queen. :) :thank:

I hope she has a nice unforgettable day with her family and friends.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!
she is such an incredible inspiration. I am just sobbing watching all four of her wonderous Olympic performances in honor of her Birthday. Have an unreal day Yuna! :D

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Happy Birthday to our Queen Yuna!
May her day be filled with joy and love from all her supporters and family.
:love::yahoo::hb::cheer::ghug:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Happy Birthday dear Ms. Kim, may your days be filled with Happiness and Joy no matter what you ends up doing... walking the dog, cook bacon, jump off the bed holding the latest Galaxy gadgetgizmowondertoy :D

Live beautifully
Enjoy wonderfully
Dream big... peace, happiness and love :2thumbs:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Happy birthday to The One and Only Yuna!! Our Queen! :love::luv17::hb::cheer::dance3:may her new age will bring her more happiness, joy and health!!:hap85: also a wish to continue to skate in shows!! :biggrin:

macy

Record Breaker
Sometimes I have to remember how beautiful her 3-3s were! Found this beautiful video on Instagram today :luv17:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnat5Jsl8v5/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
Really missing her glorious toe-jumps!

ugh they were just superb :love:
in my eyes i don't think any other ladies skater will really measure up to her, or at least not for many, many years. i believe even if she were still competing today she'd still be winning. the quality of almost every aspect of her skating was something that you truly only see once in a lifetime.