Yuzuru Hanyu Receives People's Honor Award | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu Receives People's Honor Award

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Here is coverage by the Olympics Channel about this very special award.
Yuzuru Hanyu is the youngest individual recipient of this award so far.
https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/p...tm_medium=inst-story&utm_campaign=news-owned_
Some more articles in English :
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...e-skater-hanyu-receives-natl-honor-award.html Kyodo News article
Two-time Olympic figure skating gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu was bestowed with the People's Honor Award on Monday, becoming the youngest individual recipient of the prize, one of the most prestigious in Japan.

"I couldn't have won this award by myself," Hanyu, wearing traditional "hakama" trousers, said as he received the award from Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. "There are many people who have supported me, so I would like to move forward with this award and hope from everyone."

The 23-year-old became the first male figure skater in more than six decades to win consecutive Olympic gold medals when he led a Japanese one-two finish with Shoma Uno at the Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, in February, despite a right ankle injury months before his performance.

"I have been gradually recovering from my injury...I want to steadily make preparations for competitions, while carefully managing my physical condition," Hanyu told reporters after receiving the award.
https://twitter.com/themainichi/status/1013620580074041345 Mainichi news article
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...yu-receives-peoples-honor-award/#.WzmatKczaUk Japan Times article

About the Award and the previous recipients from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Honour_Award

:hap10:

The traditional outfit, Hakama, he is wearing was a gift from Koda, a 'Living National Treasure' who is also from Sendai. Just my personal opinion, but the traditional Haori Hakama outfit is so great!

Last edited:

Danibellerika

Medalist
He looks amazing in that Hakama! He looks so regal! Fitting for the figure skating King. Omedetou gozaimasu!! :rock::rock::rock:

emipeters

Rinkside
Congrats to Yuzuru! I love the way he handles moments like this. The Hakama was a great choice, and lucky Yuzu to own something so precious! Also impressive that he turned down the personal gift and his reasons for doing so. What a kid!

Reth

On the Ice
He truly deserve this award. He was glowing so much he outshine the award itself.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Congrats! Well deserved!!
Love the Hakama.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The award itself was just perfectly Yuzu, big and gold and shiny :) I also love how sensitively he declined the personal gift from the government, and the way he immediately followed the awarding with a visit to the reconstruction office (he never misses a chance to highlight where others still need help) Greatest of skaters, and a great man as well.

The hakama is absolutely gorgeous, a treasure in itself, and he wore it with style: he looked wonderful, serious and graceful and totally the centre of attention (and quite rightly :) After watching him in the ice show the day before, and the way he's been recovering pretty much as we watch the FoI shows, this was just... a perfect ending before he vanishes into training in Canada.

(Don't mind me, I'm overflowing with warm'n'fuzzzy for him)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I think I have to correct myself. Right after Yuzuru's valiant free skate at the PyeongChang Olympics, I posted in the Olympic Men's FS thread that I was never prouder of him than at that moment. But seeing him receive the People's Honor Award from the Prime Minister of Japan made this fan feel even more pride and joy (yes, it was possible). In somber, even austere, clothing that speaks of his roots, he simply shone. With all due respect to Prime Minister Abe and the other dignitaries present, Yuzuru was like "a prince among men" in the Prime Minister's office.

And how touching it was to see how much this award from his people means to him. Yuzuru, by his own example and also through his beautiful skating, gave and continues to give them something invaluable: courage, hope, and joy to rise above the contingencies of life. And he also has given these to his fans all over the world. So proud to be his fan.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Can't wait to go the bookstore and find Hakama-Yuzu fill the magazine shelves.

Omedeto Yuzu!

:yahoo:

Yuii Murasaki

On the Ice
He truly deserves all awards he has received.
ゆづ、本当におめでとうございます!!!:luv17:

yude

Record Breaker
And on the very next day of the award ceremony, he visited the area affected by Tohoku disaster bringing his two gold medals in the Olympics, the kids were full of smiles :)

Thank you very much and congratulations, Yuzuru!!