Yuzuru Hanyu | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
The 7/19 interview with Shuzo Matsuoka has been translated:

Runrun8383 took 2 of Yuzuru Hanyu's answers to fans questions to make this drawing : he said that the tool he would like to have in the game Doraemon is the door that opens on anywhere, and that Pooh san was still in Toronto and he wanted to get it back.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Today I received a belated birthday present-- an art print purchased some weeks ago (long before Yuzu's announcement) of Yuzu, drawn by Liam Cross. I'd chosen a print of him in the Hope and Legacy costume, because when I was able to see him live in 2016, he was skating that and Let's Go Crazy. In the SP he was, dare I say it... a little hesitant, not quite at full power, or at least I remember thinking so at the time and feeling weirdly like a traitor for thinking it, haha. For the FS, I'd managed a much better seat and already in the warm-up I could tell he was a different skater that night. It sounds weird, but the moment he pushed off from the boards I knew he was going to deliver. That's the performance I really remember, though my clearest moment of visual memory now is his donut spin, which I think he did close to where I was sitting. It was breathtaking.

I had never been to a skating competition in-person before, and I picked that one for two reasons 1) Virtue/Moir and 2) Yuzuru Hanyu. I had recently quit a gruelingly unpleasant job and decided to celebrate by splurging on single tickets to the Dance and Men's portion of Skate Canada, figuring it would be a one in a lifetime experience. Which it absolutely was, even if it very much did not turn out to be my one and only live skating experience! A lot of stuff went wrong on that trip, but when I was in the rink I found I couldn't care less. Afterwards, fighting for cabs, I ended up splitting one with three other Yuzu fans who had come all the way from Japan to see him.

I know there are a lot of vocal fans who say they are only interested in the sport for him, and who have sworn they'll stop watching when he's gone. Well, I think there are just as many if not more who have been inspired by Yuzu to seek out and enjoy other skaters-- his friends, his rivals, his idols. I used to be a 4 year fan, so I'm not a perfect example, but it was because of Yuzu that I started watching full-time. In late 2015, I was flipping channels on TV and I stumbled across the NHK Trophy men's event. I immediately recognized the name Yuzuru Hanyu from my slightly muddled memories of Sochi (I'd forgotten that he won :laugh: and also thought Julia Lipnitskaya won the ladies event, but that's another story) and settled down to watch Seimei for the first time. Well, you can imagine how that went! I realized afterwards that I could find whole competitions on YouTube, which was extremely exciting both in terms of following what was going on now and suddenly being able to see performances by skaters I remembered from my childhood and teen years who I'd never gotten to see outside of the Olympics, plus from before I was born! But the point is, I don't know if I'd ever have thought to look if I hadn't seen a re-run of NHK Trophy 2015 at exactly the right moment. And I think that would make Yuzu really happy, to know that he inspired more people to watch and fall in love with the skaters that made him love skating as a kid, and the other skaters he competed against and respected so highly (Nathan, Javi, Shoma, etc, not to mention the women's skaters and pairs and dancers!)

Well, this is already a bit of a novel, so I'll stop for now. But I was struck by Yuzu admitting in interviews that it has become such a heavy burden just to be "Yuzuru Hanyu". I think a lot of us knew that, but it hits different when he puts it into his own words, and I think it's important to acknowledge that "Yuzuru Hanyu" the legend, the icon, the skating star is not quite the same as Yuzuru Hanyu the person, the private citizen. And I really hope that leaving competitive skating will allow Yuzu more time and energy to just get to be himself, without the pressure of continually living up to his own achievements, hopefully without invasive press or stalkers encroaching on his private life. Of course I also look forward eagerly to any future show appearances or other projects, but I know he's mentioned more than once that he's had real struggles with depression and anxiety and most of all, for all he's given us, I want him to be happy.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Today I received a belated birthday present-- an art print purchased some weeks ago (long before Yuzu's announcement) of Yuzu, drawn by Liam Cross. I'd chosen a print of him in the Hope and Legacy costume, because when I was able to see him live in 2016, he was skating that and Let's Go Crazy. In the SP he was, dare I say it... a little hesitant, not quite at full power, or at least I remember thinking so at the time and feeling weirdly like a traitor for thinking it, haha. For the FS, I'd managed a much better seat and already in the warm-up I could tell he was a different skater that night. It sounds weird, but the moment he pushed off from the boards I knew he was going to deliver. That's the performance I really remember, though my clearest moment of visual memory now is his donut spin, which I think he did close to where I was sitting. It was breathtaking.

(...)

Well, this is already a bit of a novel, so I'll stop for now. But I was struck by Yuzu admitting in interviews that it has become such a heavy burden just to be "Yuzuru Hanyu". I think a lot of us knew that, but it hits different when he puts it into his own words, and I think it's important to acknowledge that "Yuzuru Hanyu" the legend, the icon, the skating star is not quite the same as Yuzuru Hanyu the person, the private citizen. And I really hope that leaving competitive skating will allow Yuzu more time and energy to just get to be himself, without the pressure of continually living up to his own achievements, hopefully without invasive press or stalkers encroaching on his private life. Of course I also look forward eagerly to any future show appearances or other projects, but I know he's mentioned more than once that he's had real struggles with depression and anxiety and most of all, for all he's given us, I want him to be happy.
I think the same! This program was as crazily difficult as its name suggests. I believe no Short Program remotely approaching this level of difficulty had been attempted until then. It's the season when his skating skills closed the gap with Patrick Chan's, whom he admired a lot and who had a decisive influence on him, in pushing him not to pursue only jumps but also those skating skills so boring to learn — and which makes now the magic of his skates, because by then, he had understood that they gave him more means of expression. But at GPF, he hadn't mastered it yet to render it as exhilarating and "natural" as it was at Worlds. It didn't look like a series of skating exercises, but it didn't have this "easy looking" quality which rendered his Parisienne Walkways so popular. Here it is:

I'm afraid he has not left ISU competitions to rest. My fear is rather the opposite: that he takes too much on himself to achieve his projects, which I feel are quite ambitious.

karma3

Rinkside
I'm surprised there's a Yuzuru thread, I thought they were deleted during that infamous 2017 situation. I guess that explains why it's so empty though 😂
What to do, what to say... I hope he announces a tour sometime. It would be essentially impossible to get tickets in Japan or China, but I'd happily fly pretty much anywhere else in the world. He DID say he wants to give those who haven't seen him the chance to watch, so... fingers crossed for a world tour. If of course that's what he wants to do. I think he'd have no trouble selling out no matter where he went.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzu has today started his own youtube channel, it's about 4 hours old, has over 100,000 subscribers and nearly 12,000 comments to its 1 minute welcome message.

He's going to share directly with his fans from now on.

Could someone put a note to this on the Skaters Videos thread on the Edge?

Trusova4Ever

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yuzu has today started his own youtube channel, it's about 4 hours old, has over 100,000 subscribers and nearly 12,000 comments to its 1 minute welcome message.

Could u link the channel

Magill

Record Breaker

Oh, some piece of good news at last. No, not just good. Great! This is like Christmas in August:party2:
Thank you so much for sharing!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru will be livestreaming an open practice with interviews on 10 August, about noon Japan time, on his new channel. Most people, from the looks of things, will be going there to maximise the numbers, though some Chinese fans may restream it for those who cannot get past the block on youtube there.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Second post because I found a tweet with the times around the world (people from at least 42 countries commented on his first post, so it will be a very international audience) and only two are allowed on the above post.

BTW, it's free.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Can anyone verify that the livestream is real and will happen?

I understand some people got upset on Twitter about it possibly being fake? I don’t know all the details and just want to know if this information really came from Yuzu.