Zijun Li has retired | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Zijun Li has retired

randomfan

Record Breaker
:jaw::eek:

I won’t go too much into this since it’s not yet official, but this is truly heartbreaking :cry: Zijun is seriously one of my favourite skaters out there, and I’m so sad to see that she really might be leaving the sport.

To be honest though, I kinda saw this coming sooner than I initially expected. After years of struggling with stamina, having problems with eating, being directly attacked on instagram, being constantly underscored by the judges, and even fighting with her own federation, I understand why she’d want to stop at this point. All I hope for now (if she really is retiring) is that she can be truly happy with whatever she does next...:cry:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Wish Zijun Good Luck in her future journey.
She has tried even after 2013 glory, and yes 2013 is not and should not be his peak, she haven't reached her full potential...
Also, some politics behind the scenes oh well, what can I say, is not that pretty.
Wish you well.
Never forget watching you live at 2013 WC FS and 2016 WC SP.

My, my... what happened to this season? Before it began, I thought Zijun was a lock for China's Oly team. I thought she will make a strong case for herself and get over those frustrating past seasons.

But this news is just really sad. Sad because Zijun never got to realize her full potential. She's a gifted skater with innate elegance on ice. With the proper team around her and with Fed's support, she could've reached places.

I wish her the very best in whatever endeavour she partakes in. Thanks for the wonderful skating you have shown to us! :sad4:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'm really sad about this. It seems to be another tale of potential lost in wrangles often outside the skater's control but I'm really glad to see in some posts above that she appears to be happy in her personal life. I have very fond memories of first seeing her skate competitively when she was 14 and thinking what a bright future she had. I also had somewhat of a personal bias as she greatly reminded me of my own niece (who is not Chinese!) but they have a real "look" of each other! I wish Zijun all the best in her future xxx

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
It's a shame. So young and already retired. But i can understand why she lost her motivation.

Eclair

Medalist
I had high hopes for her around 2012, 2013 but in the past three years, it is just very frustrating to watch her. I don't really see significant improvement in her SS and presentation. She has the same type of programs year after year. She hardly had any meltdown in jumps but her programs are very basic and UR has become a big issue for her. If Xiangning Li didn't outrank her at Worlds last year, she may have stronger motivation to stay in competition. It is also impossible for her to get into top 10 at worlds now.

Since there is only one spot at the Olympics, trying hard but end up not being qualified might be a huge embarrassment for her. She had little challenge in China for so many years. To be honest, Xingning Li has much better SS and better spins, though her jumps need much improvement.

this is not a thread to feed your constant downplaying of zijun and comparisons to Xiangning. You prefer Xiangning. We get it. You have pointed it out numerous times in other threads already. But this is not the thread for it.

Eclair

Medalist
I'm really heartbroken at the prospect of her retiring from competitive skating. What could have been ... . She could have skated to so many more wonderful and beautiful programs. I have even made some videos of putting some music over her skating that she could consider in the future. Her technique was apart from the lutz really good, and even the lutz she finally 'mastered' (as she said and posted earlier this season before her injury). And her East of Eden SP, that was planned for this year, seemed so promising..

(video link for an early season version of her East of Eden SP):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GngIQ4melY0
:sad4::sad4::(

Edit: So it's official now. Zijun has retired from competitive skating. Source:
https://m.weibo.cn/status/4202962698103081
https://m.weibo.cn/status/4202670526721552

the skating world did not deserve her. Even now, the most liked comments under those Weibo-articles announcing her retirement, are people who say that it's great to hear such 'wonderful' news right before the Olympics and people saying that as athletes they have to endure and work hard and that she just didn't have it in her (indicating that she's too spoiled). It breaks my heart. :(

Maybe one of the mods could be so nice to change this thread's title to: Zijun Li has retired from competitive skating? Thank you!

Spinning

On the Ice
She did choreo some of her show programmes that I love. She seems to have a gift for the trade. Hope to see her involvements in the future. :ghug:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I've seen it coming, can't say no ... but some naive part of me was clinging to this belief that it won't be coming yet. Such a talent ... mismanaged though, sometimes harshly scored regardless of how she actually skated and never fully realized as a skater. Thank you for being there, putting gruelling work into it, competing, and giving us joy for years though.

All the best for the future, Zijun.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
All the best to Zijun in her future career. I'll remember her grace and lovely programs when she was still skating. I hope she storms the nearest confectionery store and divulges in everything she couldn't have touched when she was a competitive skater. She deserves it for the years of sacrifice she's brought to pursue skating. :yes:

LRK

Record Breaker
I just don't want to believe it...

Thank you, Zijun, and good luck!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@Eclair I am also gutted that Zijun could not even have a proper retirement, especially inside of China.

No matter what, Zijun earned his fans (at least here on this board), earned his reputation and status in figure skating. through years of hard work representing China and figure skating, through one and another great performances (as linked by fans in this thread).

I hope Zijun can stand up again in her future journey.

Remember, the purest ice will always be welcoming and accommodating, whenever you find your love, peace and happiness of skating again.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear this news. She was such a lovely lyrical skater. Best of luck to Zijun in her future endeavors.

sarama

Medalist
She will remain a talent that we never saw fully blossom. I am sure there is no one in particular to blame, but I really wish she could have found the right training environment/motivation. What a pity. Wishing her the best of luck for the future. I will miss her a lot.