Video transcripts and translations | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Video transcripts and translations

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Thank you :thank:so much, Fayruza! BTW, is this Fyodor Klimov, or someone else?

What is so wonderful to see is how generous, enthusiastic and positive these commentators are, and how much they enjoy and appreciate all the aspects of figure skating. That doesn't surprise me, because I've always felt that the Russian views of figure skating are much more complete in embracing the artistic and musical, as well as the technical. This transcript is in sharp contrast to what so many of the GS members say about Ashley .... it's very discouraging to see people around here being so unfair and ungenerous to someone who's a star, who loves the sport so much and keeps improving.

So this translation is a very happy thing for me to hear!:love: And it doesn't even surprise me much. I've often listened to the Russian commentators and felt that they must be emphasizing the positive, saying something encouraging and enthusiastic about everyone. Again, thanks Fayruza.

Fyodor: Yes, yes, yes, I just went silent since I was enjoying it immensely, I didn't even try to analyse the program, I was just watching and taking delight in it. I loved everything, everything was pristine, I just point out how much she interacted with the audience, her emotional involvement.

:love: :luv17: :love:

That must be Fyodor Klimov, but I'll have to find the beginning of the commentary to make sure.
And thank you for your compliments!

TMC

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner's free skate at 2012 Worlds, video from Finnish TV

(First they are talking about the Swedish skater who went before Ashley)
Jere: A big disappointment for Sweden...
Lady: Yes it is...
Jere A big, big disappointment...
Lady: I just had a look at the transitions score and they are as low as 5, when the other components are over 6, so she has a lot of work to do for next season if she wants to improve, for sure. It's always worth looking at the judges' protocols when they start to choreograph new programmes; to get an idea about where she can improve?
Jere: 0.07 is the crucial number. She earned 0.07 less than Gedevanshvili, so it was exactly that one second that she went over time in her free that was too much.

Jere: Next up is USA's Ashley Wagner (still butchering her last name). Eighth going into the free programme. The Swedes can only hope that one of the upcoming ladies will skate a subpar performance, but of course we don't hope for that, nor expect it. As we get closer to the last warm-up group, the quality is only going to improveee...(3F+2T+2R) as we can see here.
Lady: Ashley Wagner, triple-flip, double-toe, double Rittberger (loop), a three-jump combination. And the music is from the movie Black Swan.
Lady: Double-Axel triple-toe, the second jump landed on two feet.
(Layback spin)
Lady: That spin and spiral sequence go so well with this powerful music. And a triple-Rittberger directly from a spread-eagle...
Jere: Oh, oh, wonderful!
Lady: She manages to jump the triple-Salchow nicely off that inside edge, even though her rhythm going into the jump was slightly off.
Jere: It seems as though she's only gaining more strength, more power from these successful elements.
Lady: Really excellent timing in the take-off for that Rittberger. Ashley Wagner is performing her programme exactly like one should in these events. And a triple-flip, great, and a little extra cheering (for herself)...this is shaping up to becoming a wonderful, wonderful skate!

Jere: And for the first time this evening the audience in Nice wakes up - of course I'm talking about the ladies competition, in the men's competition earlier in the afternoon we got to witness veritable fireworks at best. But here we saw a brilliant skate, a brilliant performance which was given to us by Ashley Wagner, 21, from the USA and her country's current national champion. A great performance all in all. Of course she's known to be very talented; a two-time Jr Worlds bronze medallist, and an experienced, experienced coach, John Nicks there with her.
Lady: And now we get to...
Jere: Even though his hair is grey, his ideas are sharp as anything for sure!
Lady: And that reference was to John Nicks! (since Finnish doesn't have gender-based personal pronouns - we're all basically just "it" - he could have been talking about Ashley especially as she was in the picture just then :D),
Jere: Yes.
Lady: But today, Ashley Wagner was not only somebody who performs well technically, or has magnificent spins, or has wonderful speed and controls that speed - this programme also featured changes of speed - in addition to that, she interpreted the programme, its idea, completely and to the last. This spiral sequence was really a highlight of the programme. Another highlight, like a jewel in the middle of this programme, was the pause in the step sequence exactly where the music changed, the tempo changed...a more gentle sequence started with her balancing on her toepicks. The ballet language really came across. I think what we saw here is what people want to see in figure skating; people want to see a whole programme, its idea, how that idea is made real - and then on top of that, as a garnish if you will, the technical difficulty. Those are not an end in in themselves (the tech elements), but rather the tools that are used in order to interpret the idea.

A wonderful performance from Ashley Wagner, fortunately just here (where it mattered). And if people have suggested to John Nicks that it's time to retire, I say do not let this grandpa get away if he's able to produce champions like this! And Ashley is by no means his first champion.
Jere: Ohh..120 points, components in the 7s, 7 and a half...a really great score and she goes clearly into the lead. 120.35 is the level now that the last group is starting.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That must be Fyodor Klimov, but I'll have to find the beginning of the commentary to make sure.
And thank you for your compliments!

My pleasure. Genuine, non-fakey exuberance is one of my favorite things. :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner's free skate at 2012 Worlds, video from Finnish TV

The ballet language really came across. I think what we saw here is what people want to see in figure skating; people want to see a whole programme, its idea, how that idea is made real - and then on top of that, as a garnish if you will, the technical difficulty. Those are not an end in in themselves (the tech elements), but rather the tools that are used in order to interpret the idea.

After My own heart. :love::luv17::love:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Here's Séguin/Bilodeau. 2014 junior Grand Prix Final FS
Teledeporte commentary by Paloma del Rio and Susana Palés.

[Skating]on music by Peter Gabriel, Julianne Séguin and Charlie Bilodeau , this pair – just like the one who skated before - won both their GP events, they qualified for the final with 30 points. Last year they were vice Canadian champions in the Junior category, but they have already qualified for the GP final

1:10 triple salchow, very good
1:32 triple twist
1:52 turning in both directions
2:17 what a death spiral
2:34 She's calling the spin positions, one can hear her from up here
3:21 double axel-double toeloop
4:00 Oh they're living it [their program]
4:14 Very well, how nice – they're going to win this!
4:41 I'm giving them a standing ovation! I've liked them very very much! What a pair! Wonderful confidence. In my opinion they did their program, with spins, step sequences and lifts, and they also lived it. Brilliant!
They kept a smile on their face, and things got better and better.They really enjoyed their program while performing the elements, good triple jumps, a throw triple toeloop that is somewhat unusual.
They're going Seniors, because they're already a very complete pair, very mature. With a smile on their face, they live their program, they tell it beautifully

6:22 Wonderful, isn't it?
change of direction and turn during lifts
Death spiral with her body down and a good pivot
Spins you can notice how synchronized they are – she's calling the changes, whereas usually it's the boy who does it
very sure on the double axel-double toeloop
throw triple salchow

I think they are going to surpass the Russian pairs, they were the most solid, they needed 106 to win
and their SB is 114
They improve it they go in first and become ISU JGP Champions, Julianne Séguin and Charlie Bilodeau from Canada, with 10 points more [than the second pair]

TMC

Record Breaker
Thank you so much bartlebooth!! I knew they said something about seniors but I always imagined that they said something like "they are ready to go senior because they have everything". Close enough!

These translations make such a difference in how much I enjoy the videos now :)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Sorry to ask, TMC, but the link you provided for Adam Rippon at Worlds 2015 goes to Joshua Farris' program. Would you like a translation for both?

TMC

Record Breaker
Sorry to ask, TMC, but the link you provided for Adam Rippon at Worlds 2015 goes to Joshua Farris' program. Would you like a translation for both?

Oh sorry - the video begins with Joshua but I tried to copy the link from where Adam starts at 1:16:40. Can you skip there? When I click on the link, it skips to Adam automatically.

I wouldn't mind a translation of Joshua's video either - and I'm sure there are others who would like that, too ;)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I am so sorry! I got caught up in Skate Canada :biggrin:
But here is Jason’s SP for Worlds 2015 Spanish translation
Commentators: Paloma del Rio and Javier Raya

J: The first jump he’s got planned is the 3A.
P: There it is
J: Good! He has improved a lot on it technically.

J: Combination, triple.triple
P: Wow
J: A bit scratchy there.
P: I want to see the second jump, the 3T.
J: (Landing) on the front.
P: I think some ice sprayed.

P: He’s comedic. Very entertaining.
J: Yes, a lot of ease (could also mean cheeky, in a good sense)

J:Last jump of the program-
(Russian split)
P: How flexible he is.
J: -the 3Lz. With the arm above the head.
P: And highly decorated with the preceding steps.
J. Goodness me.
P: That’s very good.
J: That is….at least +2 (GOEs)

J: Very good spins. And the last spin, the combination.
(Finishes)
J: Wow, very good, very good!
P: He is so gracious, he is always smiling, he performs very well. He uses his whole body, he is a lot of fun.
J: He’s going into 1st
P: Yes, let’s see.
J: He always get a very good Components Score.
P: Look 44.96 that the Chinese got, that he just did. And (he got) 44.75; well they will adjust it a bit now, it might go down. But the artistic side is very good.
J: That is his forte.
P: The interpretation.
J: And he had very good jumps today, except for the combination which was a bit tight but it wasn’t a big issue either.
P: What a shame. We’ll see if he adds the quad someday, because that would give him an interesting quality stamp. Look at the 3A, how high (it is), he got the free leg back very well. This is a good technique. The combination spin, changing positions to increase the GOEs. This is the combination 3F+3T, he didn’t get the full rotation but it didn’t go to a downgrade either, he wasn’t missing more than a quarter of rotation before he got the foot down. And the 3Lz, impeccable, decorating it with the arm above the head. He moves his head and shoulders very well, he uses his whole body very well.

P: He is so spontaneous, so extroverted. And he is very short-sighted, he takes of his contacts and he carries some tremendous glasses. We saw him at the Sochi Games. He’s had almost 84 points this season as his SB. He’s going to embarrass his coach, too, Kori Ade (it doesn’t sound like she’s saying it as something bad, simply that Kori looked very serious while Jason….was being Jason :biggrin: ) The Chinese (audience), that is so cold, for them to meet a guy as lovable, as soft as him...Well he needs to improve on his SB to go into 1st, he’s had 83.59…he gets 84.32! He goes into first (? the screen said 2nd…). The TES is very good but the PCS 40 points!

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
And here's the Spanish commentary for Jason's FS at Worlds 2015
Commentators: Paloma del Río and Javier Raya

P: We are going to enjoy this with him, as he doesn’t have a chance to win. He doesn’t have a chance to win because he doesn’t have quads. He’s got a gorgeous program, Tristan and Isolde. He is a very charismatic guy. And we have nothing left, but I think there is no better way to close of Worlds, the early risings have been worth it.

P: First Worlds for Jason Brown
J: 3A+2T
P: Very good!
J: Enormous 3Lz
P: What a great program he’s got, what an athletic guy
J: Good 3Lo

J: 3A, short on rotation. 3F+3T
P: This kid is so good. At his level, this kid is so good.
J: 3Lz+Lo+3S. Choreographic sequence, pretty spectacular. 2A, 2A. Wow
P: What a pretty program to close the World Championships.
J: Wow, what a spin.

P: Brilliant! Brilliant Jason Brown. A shame that this kid doesn’t have a quad yet because he would be…with his flexibility, his charisma… At his first Worlds, because it is the first time that he participates at Worlds thanks to the US Nationals which he won in December (?). Wow. 9th last year (I guess she means the Olympics), we’ll see if he improves this year throughout the summer, if he puts in a bit more difficulty and places himself higher. But, great Worlds, great Championships, so much tension. We still have somethign more ahead, the medal ceremony which will be so exciting to watch, Javier.

(Please keep in mind that they had just seen that Javier would win, so they would obviously go off track. They start talking about it while Jason gets off the ice)

(Russian Split)
P: Look at that flexibility, what a split did Jason Brown do there.

(Sorry, most of the commentaries after the performance are about Javier, they got too excited)

P: Well, now we’ll wait for the scores. Worlds is over, we only have the Exhibition Gala left. We remind you that the GPF in December will be in Barcelona for the second year in a row. An agreement between the ISU and the Spanish Federation. There they are, they are all greeting each other, because there is a great environment between all of them..4th place! There you have the man who gets into 4th place at his debut.

TMC

Record Breaker
Thank you so so so so so much xibsuarz!!! :bow:

"he's going to embarrass his coach" :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
Did Christmas come early? Seriously, thank you all for those translations :bow:

I know, right?

And these lovely translators are apologising for "taking so long", when really if I had to wait until actual Christmas I would be just as happy to read them then! :luv17:

I hope we can get some translations of other "smaller" languages, too, like Swedish, Romanian, Danish, Polish, German...all kinds. So much fun and also teaches us something about different cultures!

TMC

Record Breaker
Another Russian request: Cessiville's SD from SC last night :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irSKXcnRceM&app=desktop

PS I was wondering if it would be a good idea to pin all the requests & videos/fluff pieces etc. to the OP and then add links to the translations as they appear (hopefully) later in the thread? So if you have a moment to spare and feel like practicing your translation skills, you could easily go to the OP, find a video that hasn't been translated yet & then post the translation in the thread.

janav

On the Ice
I know, right?

And these lovely translators are apologising for "taking so long", when really if I had to wait until actual Christmas I would be just as happy to read them then! :luv17:

I hope we can get some translations of other "smaller" languages, too, like Swedish, Romanian, Danish, Polish, German...all kinds. So much fun and also teaches us something about different cultures!

Yep, they are great! And thank you TMC for that finnish translation! I'm not that familiar with finnish skating commentary but I love finnish commentary in athletics. I don't understand a word (duh!), but they always sound so supportive towards everybody :thumbsup:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
And here's Adam Rippon's Free Skating from 2015 Worlds
I put another link because my crappy connection takes forever to load such long videos
Spanish commentary by Paloma del Rio and Javier Raya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf5RKy-r6Pg

[she talks about the previous competitor]

0:26 PdR let's watch the last skater in this group, 11th place, he's going to start with a quadruple lutz, as he did yesterday, he's the only one doing it,
JR he's doing it again
PdR Yes, again
JR Let's hope he's not going to underrotate it this time, and gets full credit
PdR He needs lots of speed and height, he's going for it
JR He looks more determined this time
1:00 No, he popped it
1:25 JR Triple axel – double toeloop [I like the difference in tone when he calls each jump :)]
1:43 Triple lutz
3:21 A good triple axel
3:35 Good triple lutz – double toeloop
PdR He's very affected by the big mistake right at the beginning
JR Well, in a free program you have 8 jumping passes, there's a wider margin of error
4:08 Double flip – now a triple flip
4:51 triple toeloop
PdR his artistic impression is sensational... what a pity
JR Two mistakes
PdR I don't know if it's the case to attempt quad lutz if the landing percentage is low
JR This boy in 2008 already put triple axel in his program [mmh, no, in 2008 he won Junior Worlds without a triple axel - then again, it was 2009, same difference]
It's clear that you come to a point where you need to increase difficulty, he prefers to risk to underrotate his quad, but it's still one element more in his program...[“karashò” by Arutunian at this point – hey, let me show off my Russian! :laugh:] and it was a good free program.
6:14 PdR What height, he sure doesn't lack strength in his legs
JR And he was able to change his strategy, too, he changed his jump layout, he's trained to do that, to adapt to circumstances
His typical triple lutz, with his arms up
[they talk about the next group, and when Fernández will skate]
7:20PdR This is like Ge and Nguyen's aerobic class!
74 points of TES, what a pity about the double lutz, he could have made that a triple, he goes in 4th, still he gets his SB, of a couple of points.

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Hello, I'll be happy to do any translations from Russian in good time, but could you just send me a personal message with a link to the video? I'm afraid that I might just fail to see something here...

TMC

Record Breaker
Hello, I'll be happy to do any translations from Russian in good time, but could you just send me a personal message with a link to the video? I'm afraid that I might just fail to see something here...

I'm sure that can be arranged! :) Thank you in advance.