Practice Reports! | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The Shibs' Blues pattern is looking the best it has all season. Much more ice covered and the edges are deeper.

in general for me - Shibutanis, Tessa and Scott and Piper and Paul skated best Blues pattern so far, and moreover - the pattern is incorporated in the best way for me in their SDs (maybe it's just my weakness for Sinatra or Prince :laugh:)

Maia and Alex indeed look solid rock, sharp, crisp and precise:hap57:

Thanks so much for posting those!!

Can anyone explain to me why the top 3 teams each skipped over a section of their program? I would have thought this practice would be like a dress rehearsal where you try to get as close to a full performance as possible, but I guess it's different in the skating world?

Also, Hawayek and Baker looked gorgeous! That free skate was so fluid, I couldn't believe 4+ minutes had passed when they were done.

skatemouse

On the Ice
Thanks so much for posting those!!

Can anyone explain to me why the top 3 teams each skipped over a section of their program? I would have thought this practice would be like a dress rehearsal where you try to get as close to a full performance as possible, but I guess it's different in the skating world?

Also, Hawayek and Baker looked gorgeous! That free skate was so fluid, I couldn't believe 4+ minutes had passed when they were done.

Mostly they are marking their spots on the ice. They are NOT training and trying to conserve energy actually. They are trained and ready so marking is a good way to get acclimated without expending extra energy and just maintain. Just need to feel their knees and legs especially if close to competition day or that day.

Mostly they are marking their spots on the ice. They are NOT training and trying to conserve energy actually. They are trained and ready so marking is a good way to get acclimated without expending extra energy and just maintain. Just need to feel their knees and legs especially if close to competition day or that day.

That makes sense! So I guess it's more like they're adjusting to the different rink? :thank: for answering my question!

Matilda

Medalist
I love Madi and Zach. I hope they left the bobbles on practice ice :)

OT, but who's the guy that clearly stole Max's Tron costume (seen in the background of the H/D video)? :p

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice Network subscriptions are half off right now with the code "CHAMPS17" just fyi if anyone wants one. I just got one.

It must have been a one-day thing, because I tried and the code didn't work. :( Leave it to Ice Network to once again annoy one of their former subscribers.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They advertised it yesterday as a one day special.

I didn't see the ad--just the discussion here. Either give a discount or don't. They already took one discount away from me, which caused me to cancel them after subscribing from the beginning.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
IceNetwork tweeted that they will be showing the Senior Ladies Warmup from 2:40-4:15 PM Eastern Time on their FREE Backstage Stream.

pjskater

Rinkside
IceNetwork tweeted that they will be showing the Senior Ladies Warmup from 2:40-4:15 PM Eastern Time on their FREE Backstage Stream.

Hi, I went to their site and I couldn't figure out where to get that free backstage stream; could you direct me? thanks and sorry if it's obvious!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi, I went to their site and I couldn't figure out where to get that free backstage stream; could you direct me? thanks and sorry if it's obvious!

Usually under "videos" they'll have something that says "Backstage stream" or something like that. It's not up yet..but look for it in about an hour.

Jackie Wong's tweeting from the men's practice (and posting in the link below):
http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2017/1/18/2017-us-championships-practice-notes

Sounds like Nathan is killing it in practice.

andromache

Record Breaker
[/url]

According to Jackie, this is what Nathan did in practice: (4Lz3T, 4F, 3A), 4T2T2Lo, 4T, 3A, 4S, 3Lz3T, 4T2T2Lo, 3Lz, 3Lz, 3A, 3A

Sounding like he is rock solid, even with the 3As. Very impressive. I wonder if it's intimidating for the others on the practice ice with him?

I'm worried about Ashley 3F-3T combo in the SP.

frida80

Record Breaker
Usually under "videos" they'll have something that says "Backstage stream" or something like that. It's not up yet..but look for it in about an hour.

Jackie Wong's tweeting from the men's practice (and posting in the link below):
http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2017/1/18/2017-us-championships-practice-notes

Sounds like Amber was killing yesterday. I wonder if dating Nathan makes her focus and work harder. We'll see tonight.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think the 3/3 is always going to be hit-or-miss for Ashley. Fortunately for her, it doesn't look like the other women are killing it in the practice sessions.

Caroline Zhang is killing her 3Lo-3Lo (though it looks like 3Lo is just about the only jump she does). Not that she's a threat to Ashley, unless Ashley has a total utter epic meltdown. But props to her for even being in the outside-contender-for-a-podium-spot position after her career trajectory. A top 6 finish seems within the realm of possibility for her, if enough others make mistakes, and considering her last two finishes were 19th and 17th, that'd be awesome for her.

ETA: But god, she is sloooooooow. If she skates clean, it'll be interesting to see how she scores.

Last edited: