Winter Universiade 2017, 31 Jan - 5 Feb | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Winter Universiade 2017, 31 Jan - 5 Feb

sarama

Medalist
Personally, I never saw anything wrong with her skating apart from the frequency of her falls. But, she got over that problem a number of years ago.

So, I'm not surprised that Mishin was able to get her back to the top so quickly.

I have to be honest - I think that a lot of this negativity in Italy about Carolina is just a case of some people not liking her. And I genuinely can't understand why anybody would not like her! (But, I'm biased, because I'm a fan).

(Unless it is because she's ethnic Austrian. But, I've been told before that that is not an issue in Italy. Hey, a large proportion of the top winter sports stars from Italy have the same background!)

Anyway, this is all getting too far from the subject of the Universiade. So, I'll try and get us back on topic with my next post.

CaroLiza_fan

Sorry to continue the :eek:topic:, but I wanted to say that Carolina is really appreciated in Italy (for a figure skater's standard anyway), but some lousy journalists and some very obnoxious CONI (Italian Olympic committee) representatives always complained about her because in their minds she was a disappointment: especially because for some reasons they expected her to win or at least medal in Torino:palmf:... I think the negativity and unreasonable expectations from these people were responsible for a lot of her insecurities in the first part of her career, then she understood they were just ignorant people that did not deserve to be listened to.
And really I can't imagine someone not liking her as a person, she might not be a super exciting character, but she looks like a genuinely kind person and always happy to skate. Plus, people from South Tyrol are the best, maybe a tad too attached to their own "independency", but super hard workers.... and totally unrelated, but I have to say the mountains surrounding Carolina's hometown are breathtaking and a paradise for skiers :love:

berry8

Final Flight
Sorry to continue the :eek:topic:, but I wanted to say that Carolina is really appreciated in Italy (for a figure skater's standard anyway), but some lousy journalists and some very obnoxious CONI (Italian Olympic committee) representatives always complained about her because in their minds she was a disappointment: especially because for some reasons they expected her to win or at least medal in Torino:palmf:... I think the negativity and unreasonable expectations from these people were responsible for a lot of her insecurities in the first part of her career, then she understood they were just ignorant people that did not deserve to be listened to.
And really I can't imagine someone not liking her as a person, she might not be a super exciting character, but she looks like a genuinely kind person and always happy to skate. Plus, people from South Tyrol are the best, maybe a tad too attached to their own "independency", but super hard workers.... and totally unrelated, but I have to say the mountains surrounding Carolina's hometown are breathtaking and a paradise for skiers :love:

Have we ever had a similarly popular skater in Italy?
I have watched some videos of Italian Junior Ladies competing At Italian Nationals: some of them are pretty good... once Caro will definitely leave The FS world I hope there will be somebody able To regain a similar popularity

sarama

Medalist
Have we ever had a similarly popular skater in Italy?
I have watched some videos of Italian Junior Ladies competing At Italian Nationals: some of them are pretty good... once Caro will definitely leave The FS world I hope there will be somebody able To regain a similar popularity

Carolina is a special talent, so she managed to become a top skater despite the lack of funding and adequate coaching in Italy. To be popular I'm afraid you need to be successful and I don't think any of our current junior or senior ladies are going to be medal contenders in big competitions. I feel like Italian skating missed a huge opportunity, not fully using Carolina's decent popularity to increase the interest and involvement in the sport. Look at the impact Yuna has made on Korean figure skating: From basically non existent to a soon-to-be powerhouse in singles! In Italy I feel like nothing has really changed for now, and certainly that's not Carolina's fault. Maybe once she retires she can coach the future stars of Italian figure skating (being VERY optimistic here :biggrin:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not going to be commenting, but since I have made this out for every other segment so far, I thought I should do it now too.

Here is the link for the Free Dance Time Schedule:

https://wuni2017.sportresult.com/nh/en/-360/Root/ViewPdf/FSX030101_C51E2_1.0.pdf

And for the Live Streaming (on air now):

http://www.livefisu.tv/live/event/1213641

And the links for both versions of the Live Scoring:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wuni2017/wu2017/SEG006.HTM
https://wuni2017.sportresult.com/nh/en/-360/Comp/Info/ResultList/FSX030101

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
15 minute delay to the start of the Free Dance due to problems with the ice.

The zambonis are out again.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Mueller/Dieck skated to Polish song! :shocked: But it wasn;t good performance... the fall will cost them some.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Nazarova/Nikit were great! I really like their FD this season :hap10: The score is HUGE!

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
The thing I love the most about Nazarova/Nikitin FD is her lipstick :)

...and next "Romeo and Juliet" now...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That shouldn't beat Ukrianians, but Silver is very possible.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So top 3 are:
1. Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN
2. Sofia EVDOKIMOVA / Egor BAZIN
3. Shari KOCH / Christian NUECHTERN

The music of Germans reminded me Evgenia Medvedeva too much to properly focus on their FD...

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You'll be pleased to know that we are back on schedule. Warm-up Group 1 starting.

Here is the link for the Men's Free Time Schedule:

https://wuni2017.sportresult.com/nh/en/-360/Root/ViewPdf/FSM010101_C51B2_1.0.pdf

And for the Live Streaming (on air now):

http://www.livefisu.tv/live/event/1213647

And the links for both versions of the Live Scoring:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wuni2017/wu2017/SEG002.HTM
https://wuni2017.sportresult.com/nh/en/-360/Comp/Info/ResultList/FSM010101

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Due to the delay to the start of the Free Dance, it meant that the organisers only had 15 minutes to get the Free Dance audience out and the Men's Free audience in.

It didn't work. They were still getting the first audience out when the judges for the Men's Free were being introduced. :drama:

Consequently, the stands are completely empty during the Warm-Up! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

peese

Medalist
Is it a different crowd coming in for the mens' free? Separate tickets? Protocol to clear the arena?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
On stream: Men's free dance. That would be interesting.