2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
So, JSF does what NHK channel says? In ID and Pairs it makes sense, Japanese teams won't podium anyway, so why not make some more money, but in singles? I'd think they don't need Zhenya for Japanese to be interested in the vent... Thanks for the info by the way, I haven't thought of that.

It makes absolute sense for Yuzuru to go to NHK and I'm not arguing against that. It also makes sense that when Yuzuru is at NHK that Shoma isn't invited, because only one can win. I just thought it is sad for Shoma, to never get NHK. And it's not like Yuzuru is sooo much older, if he goes on another 4 years, we don't know if he and Shoma might retire at the same time. And then to have never been to NHK is regretable for a skater of his caliber.

About Medvedeva and ratings, I seriously doubt that she's that much of a rating magnet. It's always the national ladies that are most popular. Satoko is really in a bad position in this Grand Prix Series. Skate America is also a very tough event, I honestly don't see her winning. I hope she makes the GPF but the japanese girls don't have it easy next season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yuzuru is a smart kid. If he returns, he's got about 1 month to train in peace at regular hours in Toronto between NHK and GPF. He won't have to deal with media & paparazzi (well, unless they're invited the week before GPF) and he has access to a team of coaches, his own choreographers, and top notch athletic facilities. It's a no-brainer. Having NHK earlier this season has worked in his favour. I wouldn't worry about him.

I'm more concerned for Marin Honda & Yuna Shiraiwa with those back to back GP events. A tough welcome to the seniors for these ladies.

This is TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been over 20 years but I remember landing at the airport in Japan and seeing a GIANT picture of Yuka Sato in the baggage claim area. We did a concert with a singer named Matsuda Seiko. She had a big hit called "Akai Sweet Pea" I remember being run over by a pack screaming girls trying to get her autograph. I imagine Hanyu likes to be able to go to lunch in relative peace. There is so much stress when you head into the Olympics and as the defending champion, I imagine he wants to concentrate on skating. The press will be at all of his GP's and this is the "relative" calm before the storm.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
It makes absolute sense for Yuzuru to go to NHK and I'm not arguing against that. It also makes sense that when Yuzuru is at NHK that Shoma isn't invited, because only one can win. I just thought it is sad for Shoma, to never get NHK. And it's not like Yuzuru is sooo much older, if he goes on another 4 years, we don't know if he and Shoma might retire at the same time. And then to have never been to NHK is regretable for a skater of his caliber.

About Medvedeva and ratings, I seriously doubt that she's that much of a rating magnet. It's always the national ladies that are most popular. Satoko is really in a bad position in this Grand Prix Series. Skate America is also a very tough event, I honestly don't see her winning. I hope she makes the GPF but the japanese girls don't have it easy next season.

Actually Medvedeva is quite rating magnet in Japan, after her Sailor moon ex and YOI she has gotten crazily popular , you can see her ex from WTT has over 3 million views...she has been invited in a couple of tv shows in Japan and see recent example, http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k2mDYEntGECAabnxxw5
This video is from today night, Fuji TV's Heroes, it only featured Yuzuru and Zhenia from entire show. So if you do a survey in Japan she is more popular than any Japanese female skater right now bar Mao Asada, If things go well Marin Honda can beat that next year.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Skate America is also a very tough event, I honestly don't see her winning. I hope she makes the GPF but the japanese girls don't have it easy next season.

It's a pretty open event this season, IMO. At least five top athletes, but with the exception of Ashley & Satoko, pretty volatile.

Plus, it's not like SA is going to invite the UR caller-from-the-dark-side, either.

It will be a different kind of SA. Late in the season with athletes much more prepared than we usually see at Skate America. But I think Satoko has as good a shot as anyone of finishing 1-2.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Isn't it impossible for Shoma to compete at NHK since he's #2 in the World Standings? I thought there was a rule like that. :confused:

Re: Medvedeva's popularity in Japan, has anyone actually done that survey to know if she's more popular than the Japanese ladies? I think Marin is more popular than her.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Isn't it impossible for Shoma to compete at NHK since he's #2 in the World Standings? I thought there was a rule like that. :confused:

Re: Medvedeva's popularity in Japan, has anyone actually done that survey to know if she's more popular than the Japanese ladies? I think Marin is more popular than her.

I think Medvedeva is universally popular. She's won so many events and the World has seen her skate brilliantly for last 2 years. I know I had reservations when I saw her LP for the first time last year but, it really grew on me as the season progressed and by the end, I really liked it.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

I think there is that rule where the podium finishers at Worlds cannot meet at the GP. Idk if World Standings have anything to do with it. So, yeah, it's clear that Shoma and Yuzuru cannot meet at NHK. I don't want them, too.

I think Youtube clicks and being an Otaku and having people root for YOU, tune in for YOU instead of the national stars are two different things. Even if Evgenia's on TV in Japan, Marin is definitely more popular, as she's on TV all the time. Mao was still competing last season and didn't get NHK. So what should one think of that?

Marin

Record Breaker

What I see from general fs coverage in Japan Marin is just below Zhenia among FS fans. Actually Yoi fans " helped" zhenia a lot ,but marin coming from media friendly family and sister being star surely helps her.Of course media will prefer Japanese Star so we will see , she may get a big boost next week with that Kobe Talk , its a good promotion before her first senior season.with that Kobe Talk, which she will do with Yuzu, Nobu & Akko - it seems they changed format, no more Shoma this year -Thats because they want marin to get well known between skating fans.. same they did with shoma before his 1st season...Yuzuru sitting there automatically gives rating, Yuzuru's fans will watch that, generally interested fans too , great way to promote someone nicely.

Marin

Record Breaker
I think there is that rule where the podium finishers at Worlds cannot meet at the GP. Idk if World Standings have anything to do with it. So, yeah, it's clear that Shoma and Yuzuru cannot meet at NHK. I don't want them, too.

I think Youtube clicks and being an Otaku and having people root for YOU, tune in for YOU instead of the national stars are two different things. Even if Evgenia's on TV in Japan, Marin is definitely more popular, as she's on TV all the time. Mao was still competing last season and didn't get NHK. So what should one think of that?

Well for sure Marin is more often on TV because she is Japanese and from a very media friendly family, but between fans you can see that she still can't beat zhenia but of course there is no doubt she will if she 'll have good season in seniors.

ioanna

Record Breaker
What I see from general fs coverage in Japan Marin is just below Zhenia among FS fans. Actually Yoi fans " helped" zhenia a lot ,but marin coming from media friendly family and sister being star surely helps her.Of course media will prefer Japanese Star so we will see , she may get a big boost next week with that Kobe Talk , its a good promotion before her first senior season.with that Kobe Talk, which she will do with Yuzu, Nobu & Akko - it seems they changed format, no more Shoma this year -Thats because they want marin to get well known between skating fans.. same they did with shoma before his 1st season...Yuzuru sitting there automatically gives rating, Yuzuru's fans will watch that, generally interested fans too , great way to promote someone nicely.
Here's something concrete regarding how popular skaters are in Japan - this is taken from Yahoo! Blogs and it shows how many people follow one skater or another.
https://follow.yahoo.co.jp/themes/0edf7e3dc46a0ae28132

282 people follow Medvedeva's news feed. The top 3 ladies are Mao Asada (22.873 followers), Marin Honda (5,982 followers) and Satoko Miyahara (2,685 followers). I'd say people are still more interested in their own skaters regardless of Evgenia's Sailor Moon and YOI passion.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Even if Evgenia's on TV in Japan, Marin is definitely more popular, as she's on TV all the time. Mao was still competing last season and didn't get NHK. So what should one think of that?

One should think that the Japanese Figure Skating Federation didn't want to pit their two most respected international athletes against each other in the same competition. That Satoko was the reigning national champion/highest ranked Japanese lady internationally. And Mao, herself, may have preferred to travel. She elected to go to Finlandia instead of the Japan Open.

One should also think that traditionally the World Champion gets to chose his/her GP events. The only exception being if a host-country pick is already ranked top 3. Most of the world champions want to go to NHK because that is where the money is made. It is where the tours & major shows are held so cultivating a fan base in Japan is helpful. If one of the Japanese ladies had finished top three, then we wouldn't see Medvedeva at NHK. None did, and she will will be there.

Also NHK has a quite good track record for inviting high-level athletes who deserve to go to events, regardless of national origin. Especially, of course, in dance or pairs where they do not generally have medal contenders. But nonetheless, NHK often selects some of the highest-level replacement athletes in the world, unlike a number of other GP hosts who prefer to invite less competitive athletes in order to keep their own less-competitive host picks from finishing last. It is something I really appreciate about NHK. Makes the competition deeper and gives its own athletes valid competition. (Though NHK is no more immune to home-athlete scoring adoration than any other host GP).

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Tbh as I have done some researches , it is not JSF who has the last say of NHK, Its the channel itself who decides whom they want to see more, as NHK is commercial channel, for sure they are willing to get the skater who gets big ratings and brings the most money, This also explains why Zhenia got NHK even it puts Japanese girls in danger of not making GPF.. NHK wants money , JSF has the word to say but mostly its channel. Notice how NHK got world champions in all 4 disciplines.

Um NHK is Japan's national broadcaster, NOT a commercial channel. Though your point still stands that they would care about ratings.

Kara

Final Flight
Sometimes doesn't feel like it with how many people don't like the NHK guy.:rofl2:

I'd say Med is popular in Japan as people are generally responsive to people who are so outwardly loving of their culture especially if they are famous/talented, but of course they prefer their own skaters and Mao is still number one for that. Ratings for the ladies events has usually been about even with men's or even higher, but they have fallen behind a lot as you can see for the ratings for WC, Four continents, and WTT this year without Mao (And Satoko which made a difference too IMO). If Marin continues to do well in seniors, I see her taking up the mantle of a female ratings star because ratings for JWC were pretty high (I also think it was the first time it's ever been shown live?) and comparable to the ratings for the ladies events in the senior competitions I mentioned above.

euroskate

Final Flight
is there any News on the TBA Slots for the GP?? I am especially interested in pairs since there was so much going on last year. Seams athletes are healthier this year or maybe ist because ist olympic year. Last year there was a thread like who is "in line" for the spots. I couldnt find it now. Would be nice i someone could help out . :thank:

Ender

Match Penalty
Honda will always be more famous than a foreign skater even if Honda might never have Olympic or WC medal. It's the same in other countries.

euroskate

Final Flight
is there any News on the TBA Slots for the GP?? I am especially interested in pairs since there was so much going on last year. Seams athletes are healthier this year or maybe ist because ist olympic year. Last year there was a thread like who is "in line" for the spots. I couldnt find it now. Would be nice i someone could help out . :thank:

today I was answering my question for myself and did a Little Research i want to share

there are still 6 TBD spots for Pairs

6 slots TBD open

list of Pairs having ONE Looking for second
Astakhova/Rogov
Castelli/Tran
Kayne/oShea
Ziegler/Kiefer

list of pairs having NONE but are next in ranking
Cain/Leduc
northKore
Rues/Wolfe
Efimova/Korovin
Alexandrowa/Winsor

Possibilities for TBA
Cain/Leduc or Stellato/Bartholo (USA)
Gao/Xie (CHN)
Takahashi/Shibata or Suzaki/Kihara (JPN)
Esbrat/Novoselov (FRA)
Astakhova/Rogov (RUS)
Rues/Wolfe (CAN)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
today I was answering my question for myself and did a Little Research i want to share

there are still 6 TBD spots for Pairs

6 slots TBD open

list of Pairs having ONE Looking for second
Astakhova/Rogov
Castelli/Tran
Kayne/oShea
Ziegler/Kiefer

list of pairs having NONE but are next in ranking
Cain/Leduc
northKore
Rues/Wolfe
Efimova/Korovin
Alexandrowa/Winsor

Possibilities for TBA
Cain/Leduc or Stellato/Bartholo (USA)
Gao/Xie (CHN)
Takahashi/Shibata or Suzaki/Kihara (JPN)
Esbrat/Novoselov (FRA)
Astakhova/Rogov (RUS)
Rues/Wolfe (CAN)

Alexandrovskaya/Windsor are on the entry list for JGP Latvia, and I believe there's a rule that you cannot compete on both the Junior and Senior GP circuits in the same season, so I don't think they can get a substitute spot or TBD now.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Seeing Konstantinova on the entry list for JGP Belarus had me wondering who's going to end up getting the ladies TDB for Rostelecom Cup. When the GP list came out, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya and Konstantinova were the names getting thrown around the most for those three spots, but it doesn't look like it'll be any of them. Fedichkina is also staying junior, so who does that leave? Serafima?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The NHK field is some kind of Godsend.

Yuzuru Hanyu, Patrick Chan, Jason Brown, Adam Rippon, and Josh Farris (!!!!). Somehow they managed to get all 3 of the most interesting American guys together, along with the 2 top guys who have the longest standing rivalry.