2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 743 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Just one question: Who cares whether Zhenya‘s speech made a change to the final decision or not? Fact is, she went there as a clean, accomplished athlete with many titles to her resume and made an effort for her country. Whether that influenced the final decision or not is irrelevant. She did what she could and that‘s admirable. Period. No one is saying IOC changed their minds only due to Zhenya‘s speech. That would be stupid.

Can we just agree on the fact that she did it, that it was brave and she did it well? Just give her credit for that because that‘s what she deserves. Everything else is, yes, trolling.

And frankly, I don‘t even know why we‘re still discussing this. There are so many other Russian ladies, Zhenya isn‘t the only one.

Users actually brought up a new topic already, there‘s an upcoming Russian competition with many future hopes taking part. I didn‘t know about that, so I’m glad that there’s this thread where I get updated about ALL Russian ladies, even the little ones. Let‘s talk about that. Or Junior Nationals. By any means, let‘s talk about Sasha‘s puppy Tina as long as it‘s a change of topic! Just anything that does not involve Zhenya, her coaching change, Brian Orser being a good/bad coach and her going/not going to Worlds. Let‘s wait at least until Euros are over.

Sounds good, but in wrong place. That debate was ignited by this very unhappy comment:

For those of you who don't want zhenya to go to Worlds this season in reality this may be her last best chance to go to a world championship with the influx of young Russian coming next season. Zhenya has never lost at a world championship so it's Stanislava or Sofia bomb at euros a spot for worlds could open up to Evgenia. I don't expect either of them to bomb that Europeans because they both skated too well this year. But if one of them does stumble at Europeans that how could you not send Medvedeva to Worlds considering she's never lost at worlds and considering she got Russia in the Olympics last year with her great presentation and speech in front of the Olympic Committee pleading with them for allowing Russian athletes in the Olympics?

Poor Scott512, I doubt he anticipated what will happen.

But, the idea was expressed literally: Zhenya got Russia to the Olympics. And, as it is really a huge overstatement of the real impact of that speech on the decision, someone other expressed it. Which is fair and square, it is not bashing anyone and no, it is definitely not trolling, because then, you could call any disagreement with something that is simply, well, not true, as a trolling. So, those who expressed disagreement did not brought that topic here at all and in the same time they did not say anything wrong just by pointing on that it had no such impact.

The fact that she did participate should be pointed e. g. when someone calls her a traitor of Russia or something like that. It is easy to remind such person: "Do you realize that Zhenya attempted what she could for russian presence at the olympics? She honestly and bravely defended her country in front of IOC."
While stating "she got Russia in the Olympics" is an exaggeration. One could then say e. g. that because Alina succesfully went through doping test before the competition, it stripped russian athletes from all suspisions." That would be again ascribing the importance that it does not have.

This is IMO, how people should look at it, pure racional view, not emotional, without need to bash or the opposite to defend against non-existent attack. One thesis was expressed, against it is counterargument that is not attacking anyone, just explaining why the original thesis is wrong and that's all. No need to labelling opposite sides with "troll" label and all. Just ease everybody a little.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Sounds good, but in wrong place. That debate was ignited by this very unhappy comment:

Poor Scott512, I doubt he anticipated what will happen.

But, the idea was expressed literally: Zhenya got Russia to the Omlympics. And, as it is really a huge overstatement of the real impact of that speech on the decision, someone other expressed it. Which is fair and square, it is not bashing anyone and no, it is definitely trolling, because then, you could call any disagreement with something that is simply, well, not true, as a trolling. So, those who expressed disagreement did not brought that topic here at all and in the same time they did not say anything wrong just by pointing on that it had no such impact.

The fact that she did participate should be pointed e. g. when someone calls her a traitor of Russia or something like that. It is easy to remind such person: "Do you realize that Zhenya attempted what she could for russian presence at the olympics? She honestly and bravely defended her country in front of IOC."
While stating "she got Russia in the Olympics" is an exaggeration. One could then say e. g. that because Alina succesfully went through doping test before the competition, it stripped russian athletes from all suspisions." That would be again ascribing the importance that it does not have.

This is IMO, how people should look at it, pure racional view, not emotional, without need to bash or the opposite to defend against non-existent attack. One thesis was expressed, against it is counterargument that is not attacking anyone, just explaining why the original thesis is wrong and that's all. No need to labelling opposite sides with "troll" label and all. Just ease everybody a little.

I certainly respect your opinion and I do agree that we should look at Zhenya's speech from a pure rational view. That's what I was trying to do in the post you quoted.

"without need to bash or the opposite to defend against non-existent attack": Without special regard to this topic, I think we can both see that non-existant attacks in this thread is simply not true, especially when it comes to Zhenya.

"No need to labelling opposite sides with "troll" label and all." I'm sorry but you can't tell me that there's no trolling going on against certain skaters in this thread. I could quote you a dozen posts at the very least in the last few hours and days. Zhenya fans are having a truly hard time in here because while rational and logical discussions are certainly appreciated, uncalled accusations and twisted facts are obviously not. If you cannot see what I told you, I can offer to send you a PM with some of the posts as I don't wish to derail this thread further.

I do agree though, that on this topic, the original argument overstated the importance of Zhenya's speech. I don't see why it was followed by such an intense reaction and I, like you, doubt that was the intention Scott512 had when he originally made the comment. But it is what it is. I don't think Zhenya got anyone in the Olympics, she doesn't have that much power and it would be foolish to assume that. I do think, however, that she made a brave effort for her country and represented Russia as the face of clean athletes who have the dream of participating in the Olympics and did a good job at that.

I just wish that fans of ALL Russian skaters could come in here and enjoy news and discussions. Without snide remarks, sarcastic responses, accusations or jeering against skaters they love. It is possible to discuss while still being respectful. This doesn't only include Zhenya of course but all of them. I also wish we could have a separate thread for speculations, rumours, TAT talk and other stuff like that. It might take some of the drama away from here and it might make this thread a more peaceful one.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Wow, she‘s a beautiful skater! I have never heard of her but that was a clean skate with lots of triples and rippons! Is she too young to be on juniors yet or why didn‘t she get any assignments?

That isn‘t her original FS music, though, is it? It didn‘t seem to match the movements at times and the ending was also quite weird...

I really like Panova‘s Team. She has many great skaters under. Alena Kanysheva is my favourite and I hope she stays with her. She had a great international debut by winning two silver medals at her JGP events and a bronze at the final already. I hope we‘ll see Sinitsyna more next year, too.

No, it's not her music. Scout bureau changed it to add different music - he also did it for Sinitsyna iirc.
(still waiting on stage 5 videos too)

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I know how some of the letters look. So, I know Alina Zagitova, Evgenia Medvedeva, Alena Kostornaya, Sasha Trusova, Alena Kanysheva and co. in cyrillic and mostly just compare the letters to find out. I want to train my brain so that I can at least read names without problems. [emoji23]

But yes, other than that, figure skating fans, especially if one likes Japanese or Russian ones should really learn the discipline of using all sorts of translators to find out the latest news. [emoji3]
Well, as for me I can read Cyril ok. And I can understand Russian speech pretty good since my parents are Russian Jews. We moved long time ago, but I kind of grew up bilingual in Israel anyway. Although English is not one of my first languages, I get by in the States now. I visit Moscow 2-3 times a year just for fun and tourism purposes, so I have few connections there. Not the connection connections, but just the nice local people I can ask questions sometimes and receive useful updates, since our interests in performing arts and "beauty" sports overlap. :)

Here is the English transcription done by nice people on twitter, timetable and warm-up groups: https://twitter.com/Sk84it/status/1083773961211645952?s=20

Scott512

Record Breaker
I certainly respect your opinion and I do agree that we should look at Zhenya's speech from a pure rational view. That's what I was trying to do in the post you quoted.

"without need to bash or the opposite to defend against non-existent attack": Without special regard to this topic, I think we can both see that non-existant attacks in this thread is simply not true, especially when it comes to Zhenya.

"No need to labelling opposite sides with "troll" label and all." I'm sorry but you can't tell me that there's no trolling going on against certain skaters in this thread. I could quote you a dozen posts at the very least in the last few hours and days. Zhenya fans are having a truly hard time in here because while rational and logical discussions are certainly appreciated, uncalled accusations and twisted facts are obviously not. If you cannot see what I told you, I can offer to send you a PM with some of the posts as I don't wish to derail this thread further.

I do agree though, that on this topic, the original argument overstated the importance of Zhenya's speech. I don't see why it was followed by such an intense reaction and I, like you, doubt that was the intention Scott512 had when he originally made the comment. But it is what it is. I don't think Zhenya got anyone in the Olympics, she doesn't have that much power and it would be foolish to assume that. I do think, however, that she made a brave effort for her country and represented Russia as the face of clean athletes who have the dream of participating in the Olympics and did a good job at that.

I just wish that fans of ALL Russian skaters could come in here and enjoy news and discussions. Without snide remarks, sarcastic responses, accusations or jeering against skaters they love. It is possible to discuss while still being respectful. This doesn't only include Zhenya of course but all of them. I also wish we could have a separate thread for speculations, rumours, TAT talk and other stuff like that. It might take some of the drama away from here and it might make this thread a more peaceful one.

Hardly my intention and I'm perplexed and bemused at the pushback of what I said about and Medvedeva and her speech in front of the international Olympic Committee. it's not easy and she came up clutch just like with her Olympic performances. and yes I'm ready to move on to Europeans.

LynsJ

On the Ice
To be honest the clip looked more to me like eteri went the wrong way and only realised when she couldn’t get through the line of skaters waiting and so she turned on her heels lol! Let’s not make a mountain out of a molehill. [emoji23][emoji15]

malya

On the Ice
Just so an instastory of Liza doing her free skate. Didn't show any jumps but she is looking great!

Praying somebody took full videos :(

I saw Gulyakova jump a rippon jump with a stick horizontally (half as tall as her!!) in her hands
Is that her exhibition? It looks pretty dangerous

Finley

Record Breaker
To be honest the clip looked more to me like eteri went the wrong way and only realised when she couldn’t get through the line of skaters waiting and so she turned on her heels lol! Let’s not make a mountain out of a molehill. [emoji23][emoji15]

But, this is Goldenskate. It's what we do. :drama:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I need a break from all this Zhenya talk. Let's have a good ole' vid from the past! Olympics short program 1998. And the best of the night IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dmp_GaJcw

That Triple Loop :love:

Anyone able to pinpoint a really good skate from Maria Artemieva? She was hit or miss but I’m curious if anyone can link a video to one of her better performances.

zounger

Medalist
And the great Tchaikovskaya in KnC. :)

Since you mentioned Tchaikovskaya... The following part from a recent Alena K's small interview. I found it very mature for her age and she uses nice vocabulary too.

"Do you have any idol in sport or life?"

"...If you are talking about heroes of the current time, then in first place I will name Elena Anatolievna Tchaikovskaya. She is an outstanding coach, educated a pleiad of well known ahletes. Really a great woman. I'm very happy that I'm training in Eteri Tutberidze's group, who continues the glorius traditions, established by Chaikovskaya. Our school is in avant-garde of development of figure skating not only nationally, but in entire world."

moriel

Record Breaker
Tuktik: https://www.eg.ru/sport/689438-perv...ni-udivlyayus-kak-menya-terpit-trener-055685/

Q: What feeling you had when you watched the Russian Championships, where it was decided who will make the team.
Liza: It was sad that I had to skip it. I didn't expect that Alina Zagitova will be just 5th, Zhenya Medvedeva 7th and young Anna Shcherbakova will win. Zhenya changed her short program during the season. Possibly, she had no time to train it enough. Figure skating is, in general, an unpredictable sport.

Q: Should 14 years old girls participate in Russian Championships?
Liza: I think the junior girls move women's single skating forward.

Q: Why only juniors and you, 22 years old, do the complicated triple axel? [suppose interviewer means in russia]
Liza: If you learn triple axel since young age, the chances of landing it are higher. I learned this element in two seasons as a kid.

Q: How did you feel after the decision of not sending you to European Championships?
Liza: Well, I had a very serious illness. So I understand everything. AT any rate, I will prepare for "Europe", because I am the first sub.

Q: How would you describe yourself?
Liza: I'm positive. Somewhat ironic. I can laugh at myself. Do something out of line when nobody expects it. I suppose Alexei Nikolaevich [Mishin] has a hard time with me. I'm wonder how he endures me.

Q: What was your coach's gift that you remember the most?
Liza: In 2014, he gave me a guitar on my birthday. He found out that I wanted to learn how to play. I was very touched.

Q: Did you learn?
Liza: Yes. Although now the guitar is just laying in the corner, i have no time.

Q: Many figure skaters are afraid of eating something extra, to not gain weight.
Liza: I have no nutritionist. When I feel i am gaining weight, i simply eat less.