2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 744 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Casual

On the Ice
Q: Many figure skaters are afraid of eating something extra, to not gain weight.
Liza: I have no nutritionist. When I feel i am gaining weight, i simply eat less.

*Face palm*

This is sad. At her level, she deserves help from a nutritionist. Even non-athletes get it; it's really surprising to see top athletes do without.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I don’t understand why Eteri can’t teach her skaters to just do proper cross cuts. Otherwise she’s quit lovely with good extension, rushed of course, hopefully she can learn some skating skills front Alena over the next few years while they train together
Crosscuts, rushed? What are you talking about? :unsure: With such godlike spins and fluid movements she doesn't need to have anything else :laugh: I mean - why you don't try to lecture other skaters about how they need to have Valieva's spins for example? :biggrin:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Crosscuts, rushed? What are you talking about? :unsure: With such godlike spins and fluid movements she doesn't need to have anything else :laugh: I mean - why you don't try to lecture other skaters about how they need to have Valieva's spins for example? :biggrin:

For you, perhaps, but not all of us. I find myself distracted when a skater’s posture deteriorates, as it’s a sign of weak basic skating skills and it breaks the body line. It’s not like you can’t find posture training bands for skaters with a quick Google search. You should be able to draw a straight line from a skater’s head to their blade.

Hunching forward during crossovers is indicative of weak basic skating skills. There’s a reason speed skaters, for example, adopt this posture, but not figure skaters. As for spins: flexibility is not distributed equally, and some people will never be able to hit an I-spin, no matter how much they work at improving their stretch. (I am one such person.) Spin speed and centering are more related to how much a skater practises their spins and spin technique. Valieva is highly flexible and has lovely spins, but that doesn’t mean her spins can be copied by others. More to the point... everyone’s spins are almost identical now, due to how level features work and the fact that only so many variations are possible if attempting to maintain high BV across all three spins, the various requirements, etc.

Zagitova’s illusions were the last time I saw a spin from the Russian ladies that made me take notice, as it’s an uncommon level feature and she performs it uncommonly well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Tuktik: https://www.eg.ru/sport/689438-perv...ni-udivlyayus-kak-menya-terpit-trener-055685/

Q: What feeling you had when you watched the Russian Championships, where it was decided who will make the team.
Liza: It was sad that I had to skip it. I didn't expect that Alina Zagitova will be just 5th, Zhenya Medvedeva 7th and young Anna Shcherbakova will win. Zhenya changed her short program during the season. Possibly, she had no time to train it enough. Figure skating is, in general, an unpredictable sport.

Q: Should 14 years old girls participate in Russian Championships?
Liza: I think the junior girls move women's single skating forward.

Q: Why only juniors and you, 22 years old, do the complicated triple axel? [suppose interviewer means in russia]
Liza: If you learn triple axel since young age, the chances of landing it are higher. I learned this element in two seasons as a kid.

Q: How did you feel after the decision of not sending you to European Championships?
Liza: Well, I had a very serious illness. So I understand everything. AT any rate, I will prepare for "Europe", because I am the first sub.

Q: How would you describe yourself?
Liza: I'm positive. Somewhat ironic. I can laugh at myself. Do something out of line when nobody expects it. I suppose Alexei Nikolaevich [Mishin] has a hard time with me. I'm wonder how he endures me.

Q: What was your coach's gift that you remember the most?
Liza: In 2014, he gave me a guitar on my birthday. He found out that I wanted to learn how to play. I was very touched.

Q: Did you learn?
Liza: Yes. Although now the guitar is just laying in the corner, i have no time.

Q: Many figure skaters are afraid of eating something extra, to not gain weight.
Liza: I have no nutritionist. When I feel i am gaining weight, i simply eat less.

It sounds like Liza is ready to compete; I am happy to hear. She may be the most consistent Russian right now to challenge the Japanese trio of power. Though I do admit right now Alina has the higher scoring potenial. Easier said than done can Liza do a Rika - 3 triple axels in a competition? Is she able to do a combo in the free? Weird the top two ladies from world's won't be there and the bronze medallist isn't the favorite to win gold.

malya

On the Ice
Alena :( Still it's great to see her try new things - expecting a new FS layout tomorrow!

It's nice to see that some people apparently already expect complete perfection from novice (Valieva is not even junior eligable!!) girls. Me? I was impressed :)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Watching Kamila skate is like watching a ballerina on ice. I just love how she points her legs. She hits such beautiful positions