2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 131 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She is going to Rostelecom Cup

If Mariah skates well at Rostelecom, she should be in the top 4. That puts her in the medal mix, since skating is so unpredictable. We have seen both Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva falter before and a strict caller could cause problems for Miyahara. Her skate yesterday was not as difficult as Kostornaia's but in some ways, it was more enjoyable. Kostornaia deserves better programs. That she can still shine despite the boring and at times, bizarre, choreography is a testament to her talent.

ec00834

On the Ice
If Mariah skates well at Rostelecom, she should be in the top 4. That puts her in the medal mix, since skating is so unpredictable. We have seen both Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva falter before and a strict caller could cause problems for Miyahara. Her skate yesterday was not as difficult as Kostornaia's but in some ways, it was more enjoyable. Kostornaia deserves better programs. That she can still shine despite the boring and at times, bizarre, choreography is a testament to her talent.

I thought both their programs were enjoyable. Kostornaia's free program is a nice contrast to what she usually skates to and shows that she can interpret anything. I wouldn't agree that she deserves better programs, her short is a masterpiece but she also said she enjoys performing her free much more (which is more important than appealing to people's tastes). I really liked Mariah's free program but I wish she would reuse her short from last year.

zebobes

Final Flight
Still, I wonder what motivates calling him a coach for ISU purposes when he mostly just choreographed the program for her.

If you watch the Golden Skate interview with Mariah from Nebelhorn Trophy, you will hear how Adam has been helping her more in her overall scheduling and conditioning and practice mentality. She works with him a couple of days a week, and he has been pushing her to do more run-throughs, to go a little harder, to try to get that consistency up. When she won the gold medal at Nebelhorn Trophy, she had been working with him for three weeks, and since it seemed to be going well, I am guessing she has made him her official coach.

In the last few seasons Adam had with Raf, even though his technical abilities were limited, Adam was able to extract every bit of potential that he had and bring it to the ice. It seems like his experience makes him the perfect candidate of guiding Mariah, who is also limited in her technical abilities, but with consistent artistry, it will allow her to do quite well on the international stage, and if she keeps it up, soon her PCS scores will rise even more.

lusterfan

Final Flight
If you watch the Golden Skate interview with Mariah from Nebelhorn Trophy, you will hear how Adam has been helping her more in her overall scheduling and conditioning and practice mentality. She works with him a couple of days a week, and he has been pushing her to do more run-throughs, to go a little harder, to try to get that consistency up. When she won the gold medal at Nebelhorn Trophy, she had been working with him for three weeks, and since it seemed to be going well, I am guessing she has made him her official coach.

In the last few seasons Adam had with Raf, even though his technical abilities were limited, Adam was able to extract every bit of potential that he had and bring it to the ice. It seems like his experience makes him the perfect candidate of guiding Mariah, who is also limited in her technical abilities, but with consistent artistry, it will allow her to do quite well on the international stage, and if she keeps it up, soon her PCS scores will rise even more.

I was a little surprised to see Adam's name in the coach slot for Mariah. Upon second thought though, I think Adam became a valuable asset for Mariah. He's a former high level skater with excellent experience and presentation skills - now that he's on the other side, I'm sure his insight will help Mariah a lot. She's been consistent at two competitions now so I don't want to jump the gun yet, but this is looking like a promising season for her!

Mariah and Bradie are honestly performing at one of the highest levels ever for US ladies right now. The only reason they're not mega successful is that the standards from the rest of the world have gone up dramatically. The improvement is noteworthy though.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hello posters in the U.S. Ladies thread:

We would ask that when discussing Mariah Bell, please remember this earlier post:

“While the GS Forums allows discussion on official news and statements, we do not tolerate speculation, rumors, gossip, stereotyping, etc.
Until further notice, please refrain from discussing the incident regarding Eunsoo Lim and Mariah Bell.

Thanks for understanding.”

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What would be the option for a skater who is one of the best in the country, such as Bradie or Alysa, but was injured for the entire season until Nationals? Are skaters who have any sort of bye exempt from the minimum score requirement if they were unable to compete during the season?

Yes, a Top 5 bye, is just that. It's a bye TO nationals the following season. Theoretically, an athlete could sit at home, not compete all season, and still show up at the following nationals. At least that's my understanding.

Again, I am no expert, but I disagree with just wondering.

My understanding of the 2019-20 rulebook (p. 132) is that the minimum TES requirement applies even to those with byes (such as a bye from placing in the top five at the previous year's Nats).

Emphasis added to this excerpt from Rule 2501:

2501 Singles competitors qualify for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships: ...

B. For the senior events by meeting the minimum required technical score per rule 2505 and:
1. Placing in the top 4 in senior at their respective sectional singles final;
2. Earning a bye:
a. For placing in the top five in the same event at last year’s U.S. Figure Skating Championships; ...​

Also, see Rule 2513 on p. 133:

2513 No medical byes will be granted to the U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

Updating my previous reply re the TES minimum for Nats:

Buried within the USFS guidelines for international byes is additional information re the TES minimum for those with non-international byes.
With special approval, there potentially is wiggle room for a skater with a non-international bye:

All senior skaters/team receiving a bye must have achieved the Required Minimum Total Element Score in the current season to compete at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Please refer to Rule 2505.

If a skater or team qualifies to compete at the U.S Figure Skating Championships due to placement at the immediately prior U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the most recent World Figure Skating Championships or the most recent Olympic Winter Games, but has not been able to compete to earn a Required Minimum Technical Score in the current season, scores earned at the most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships in which the skater or team competed may be considered. The skater or team will need to receive approval to use the score from a majority of the Competitions, International and Athletes Advisory Committee chairs.

So for DMD's hypothetical example of someone in the Top 5 at 2019 Nats being injured and unable to compete before 2020 Nats, it is possible that their scores at 2019 Nats could be considered and approved as counting toward the TES minimum.

Thoughts on just wondering's post:
The USFS wording is (emphasis added) "has not been able to earn a Required Minimum Technical Score in the current season." "Has not been able to" as opposed to "did not."
So I would guess(?) that the wording does not mean that it would be acceptable for a Top 5 skater to sit home by choice and just show up to compete at Nats as the skater's first competition of the season? My guess(?) would be that approval would not be given to count the scores from 2019 Nats unless the skater had injury/illness or some other extenuating circumstance?​

I was checking the USFS guidelines for international byes because of my previous post about not remembering whether JGPs count toward the three internationals that earn a bye.
Per the guidelines, junior comps do count, so Gabbie Izzo does have an international bye to Nats. (I have edited my previous post accordingly.)

DenissVFan

Medalist
What's Starr current height? I think her ISU bio is out of date – 149 cm would make her shorter than Alena K.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think she’s 4’11”. She’s super short. Probably the shortest of team USA. Here’s some pics.

https://instagram.com/p/B4ajDYBF1rg/

https://instagram.com/p/B1k4QA3Jy8B/

Wow, she's tiny tiny! She actually looks much taller on the ice which is a good thing.

Very happy to see Starr place top 5 at IDF but she's gotta get some help from someone on that flip and lutz. I mentioned in the IDF thread that she has a similar cringe-worthy technique on her flip and lutz that Caroline Zhang had for most of her career. Way too much upper body (cranking the arms all the way around) and that odd angled high leg kick to pick in for the jump. She's going to need a flip and lutz to get higher up the ranks and that technique won't get her far.

Crossing my fingers they can get her to a technician to fix those jumps asap.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I suppose it's not a real addition to any discussion but I loved Mariah's skates at IDF. :love:

frida80

Record Breaker
Wow, she's tiny tiny! She actually looks much taller on the ice which is a good thing.

Very happy to see Starr place top 5 at IDF but she's gotta get some help from someone on that flip and lutz. I mentioned in the IDF thread that she has a similar cringe-worthy technique on her flip and lutz that Caroline Zhang had for most of her career. Way too much upper body (cranking the arms all the way around) and that odd angled high leg kick to pick in for the jump. She's going to need a flip and lutz to get higher up the ranks and that technique won't get her far.

Crossing my fingers they can get her to a technician to fix those jumps asap.

I hope so too. I think it’s just part of the process. Starr is clearly working hard to fix her problems, but she’s hit a wall when it comes to those jumps. Sometimes it takes some middling results to realize you need help.

However, it will probably take years for that new technique to take effect. Mariah is just starting to solidify under Rafael. I worry that USFS no fans have the patients to deal with the crappy skates that follow changing jump technique.

ayb2

Rinkside
By the way, anyone know what happened to unseen skaters online? I used to use it to track regional and sectional scores and it hasn't been updated since about Feb of 2019.

frida80

Record Breaker
By the way, anyone know what happened to unseen skaters online? I used to use it to track regional and sectional scores and it hasn't been updated since about Feb of 2019.

She’s on Twitter. You should probably send her a DM. My guess is that real life made it hard to do this year. What she did was incredibly time consuming. There are about 100 club comps over the nation, and she gathered as much information about the results posted the in a organized fashion all for free. It’s sad, but sometimes life gets in the way.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

FWIW: USFS fan zone has a "one-stop shopping" page with links to results for all regionals and sectionals.

The Midwestern Sectionals site has posted practice groups, if you want to take a look at who is listed there.

Among Senior Ladies there, I see at least seven names who could be contenders for the top four placements. :popcorn:
Among Junior Ladies there, three competed in this season's JGP series.
Good luck to everyone.

As for unseen skaters, I would add that the twitter account continues to be a great resource with frequent updates. This season, it has shared lots of its own original videos and photos. Plus as always, it is full of information and helpful links.
A time-consuming endeavor of its own -- which is a labor of love for the sport, but still a labor.

ETA:

Good luck to Amber Glenn at Cup of China this week! :yay:​

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
You can do it, Amber! You can totally reach your goal of 70+ in the short program and 200+ overall. You’ve certainly got the talent!

merrymarch

Spectator
I thought Mariah Bell was terrific at the last Grand Prix. I had to do a double take when Starr Andrews came on, that program and costume was certainly a tribute to Michelle Kwan, but it is hard to copy a great without being compared to them.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Yes, that 1996 Worlds program by Kwan was great. Andrews looked very awkward. She needs to up her game or she will forever be second tier.