For Spun Silver -- Was Thomas Aquinas wrong? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

For Spun Silver -- Was Thomas Aquinas wrong?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
:bow: I applaud! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But here is the truly amazing part.

Evan goes off his training diet and eats a jelly doughnut, 300 calories.

How many quintuple jumps will he have to do to work it off?

(1 "calorie" (actually, a kilocalorie in scientific language) = 4187 joules.)

Applause greatly appreciated. :)
I think I will let one of the many lurkers on this thread solve the doughnut problem. Come on folks, give it a try. :biggrin:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I am having flashbacks to high school physics. And believe me this is not a good thing.

:eek:

Come on SLL, you can do it. Evan needs 1172.4 joules of energy to do the jump. He eats a 300 Calorie doughnut. Each Calorie contains 4187 joules of energy. How many jumps worth of energy are contained in the doughnut? ;)

sillylionlove

Medalist
I can't think in terms of donuts...it's a WW no no!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But just to take a stab at it would the answer be 1071 give or take a jump.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I did it. I really did it!!!! :party:

Of course somewhere Evan is reading this and going "what the heck is a joule and how does this effect my triple axel?" And somewhere his coach is preparing for him to take a drug test!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did it. I really did it!!!! :party:

Of course somewhere Evan is reading this and going "what the heck is a joule and how does this effect my triple axel?"
Is that the same thing as a jelly donut??

SLL, great job!!! :clap: :clap:

Dee

sillylionlove

Medalist
Thank you very much.

Luckily my computer has a calculator because I just don't have that many fingers to be able to do the math on that!!! :thumbsup:

All I can think of is those poor starving skaters. No wonder they're killing themselves to do 3-3's and quads. One jelly donut. Sheesh!

But way to go, SLL!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was sent this email by Insurance adjustors who said they couldn't figure it out. At first I thought they were kidding but they really couldn't. I figured it out..:laugh: :laugh: that's why I thought they were kidding.

Here it is.

This will mess with your head.
3 men go into a motel. The man behind the desk said the room is $30, so
each man paid $10 and went to the room.

A while later the man behind the desk realized the room was only $25, so
he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys' room with $5.
On the way, the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split $5 evenly
between 3 men, so he gave each man a $1 and kept the other $2 for
himself.
This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total of
$27, add the $2 that the bellboy kept = $29.
Where is the other dollar?

Dee

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
This will mess with your head.
3 men go into a motel. The man behind the desk said the room is $30, so
each man paid $10 and went to the room.

A while later the man behind the desk realized the room was only $25, so
he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys' room with $5.
On the way, the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split $5 evenly
between 3 men, so he gave each man a $1 and kept the other $2 for
himself.
This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total of
$27, add the $2 that the bellboy kept = $29.
Where is the other dollar?

Dee

What you have to remember here is that there are 2 kinds of money. There is the physical paper money, and there is the credit / debit. If you mix the two, you will mess yourself up.

First the physical money. There are $30 total in play. The guy at the desk has $25, each of the three men have $1, and the bellboy has $2.
$25 + 3 X $1 + $2 = $30.

Now the credit / debit. Each of the 3 men is down $ 9. The guy at the desk is up $25, and the bellboy is up $2.
3 X $9 = $25 + $2

Oh my goodness! This is so tough! ;)

Good one, Dee! :clap:

OK, a man walks 5 miles due South, turns left and walks 5 miles due East, then walks 5 miles due North back to his starting point and shoots a bear.

What color is the bear? :biggrin:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red, the bear is all bloody red!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
must be a really small bear, then, Dee! :laugh: when we shoot a bear he's only bloody in and around the wound!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Good one, Dee! :clap:

OK, a man walks 5 miles due South, turns left and walks 5 miles due East, then walks 5 miles due North back to his starting point and shoots a bear.

What color is the bear? :biggrin:

Let's see, if the guy walks south 5 miles then east 5 miles, and is still only 5 miles from where he started from, he must have been walking in a circle with his starting point as its center. But if he was walking due east, he must have been walking along a latitude. This would only be possible if he started from the North Pole. So he then must have shot a white polar bear.

I'm not as smart as I sound. I've actually heard this one before. :biggrin:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I love polar bears. Went to the polar bear plunge at the San Diego Zoo and they were wrestling and I got some very good pictures.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Here is an old logic problem I heard many years ago. It took me a while to figure this one out even with the solution right in front of me.

Three guys go to a job interview. The boss says he will hire the guy who can pass a little test he has set up. The applicants will be taken to a room and blindfolded. A hat, either black or red will be placed on their heads. Then the blindfolds will be removed. The guy who can guess the color of his hat, and explain how he did it, will get the job.

So the 3 men are led to a room and blindfolded. The boss puts a black hat on each of their heads; there are no red hats. The blindfolds come off.

“OK guys”, the boss says, “are you wearing a black hat or a red hat?”

Now each man can see the black hats on the other 2 guys, but can’t see the hat on his own head. So they don’t know what color hat they are wearing.

“I will give you a clue”, the boss says. “Raise your hand if you see at least one black hat on the other 2 guys.”

All 3 guys see at least one black hat, so they all raise their hands.

“OK guys”, the boss says, “what color hat are you wearing, black or red?”

A few minutes go by. Finally one man stands up and proclaims, “I am wearing a black hat.”

How did he know?