Fresh start for Domnina and Shabalin | Golden Skate

Fresh start for Domnina and Shabalin

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia's Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin are the most unknown factor in the world of ice dancing for this season. How has Shabalin recovered from his knee injury that kept the couple out of the 2008 World Championships?

[More]

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She may not like the foxtrot (and the other dances of the 20's 30's and 40's), but they should still have picked one of the many.

Picking a waltz for the OD would surely not have been my decision.

1. They have done way too many waltzes already
2. Yes, Shostakovich's Jazz Suite was composed in the time frame, but for me it totally does not meet the description of what is expected for 20's, 30's, 40's. For the Grand Ballroom, yes. This year's description, no.

Is there a mandated deduction for completely missing the description of what the OD is supposed to be?

Kypma

Final Flight
She may not like the foxtrot (and the other dances of the 20's 30's and 40's), but they should still have picked one of the many.

Picking a waltz for the OD would surely not have been my decision.

1. They have done way too many waltzes already
2. Yes, Shostakovich's Jazz Suite was composed in the time frame, but for me it totally does not meet the description of what is expected for 20's, 30's, 40's. For the Grand Ballroom, yes. This year's description, no.

Is there a mandated deduction for completely missing the description of what the OD is supposed to be?

I agree, I find the waltz a little odd. Weren't the rhythms specified, though? I mean, if skaters can use modern arrangements of songs of the 20's, 30's and 40's rhythms, that means that the importance is on the rhythm, not the actual epoca.

Weird, but I guess we'll see. Dubreuil and Lauzon had to change their OD music in 2006-2007 because it was judged too lyrical and not sufficiently tango-like.

-Kypma

Mafke

Medalist
For their sake I hope they have a Plan B. To my way of thinking waltz is not a rhythm from the 20's, 30's or 40's (no matter when it was written).
I would hope flouting the regulations this way would get them hammered by the judges, but then maybe IOIYR...

rosee

On the Ice
I agree with you all but I would find it odd that Linichuk would have made that kind of mistake. OTOH no one told Joubert that his SP last year was inapropriate until worlds.
So you never know, it's figure skating, some judges could think that D/S's OD's is breaking the rules, some not.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Spartacus will be a very good choice for them. I can't wait to see it .

now if only Belbin and Agosto were not so tight-lipped about their music!

Mafke

Medalist
Just listened to the music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMo3jr_x20

They _might_ be able to get away with this as a 'jazz waltz' (though to me the rhythm is still solidly 19th century). But there is the bigger problem that it makes them look like one-noters, twisting the requirements around to get to their preferred rhythm rather than demonstrating versatility.

If they do get away with it this time, I would hope that refrain from waltzes for a couple of seasons (who am I kidding? they'd turn a rock and roll requirement into a waltz....)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I suspect that DomShabs and Linichuk think they will get away with this due to the fact that a 'country waltz' was a legal option last year. However, country waltz was explicitly mentioned as one of the options in the 2007 2008 season rules for the OD. Here's what it says in the guidelines for this year's OD:

Any one or two rhythms/dances originated in the 1920’s or 1930’s or 1940’s may be chosen (except Tango). If two rhythms are
used one of them may be repeated (each rhythm may be from the different decades mentioned above). The program should reflect
the original flavor and style of the decades mentioned above and NOT performed as a Ballroom Dance.

For general information concerning the rhythms (dances) which belong to the above mentioned decades please refer to the “Ice
Dance Music Rhythms Booklet and Compact Disc 1995”.

There is no way that I would believe that the waltz originated between 1920 and 1949. :rofl::chorus:

Likewise, a non ballroom version of a waltz, other than a country waltz, is a concept puzzling as heck to me.

I do not see how they get out of being whacked with Rule 609:

The incorrect selection of music for the rhythm(s) chosen must be severely penalized

Does anyone know whether the 1995 booklet cited has a reference to a 20's to 40's waltz?

Does anyone know whether the 1995 booklet cited has a reference to a 20's to 40's waltz?
You bring up good questions regarding the requirements of this year's OD. I wonder if that is being discussed in the hierarchy? Richard Rogers is known by his following as the Amercian Waltz King. Surely, it shouldn't be difficult to find one and play it up.

As to the Fox Trot - a happy romantic dance and who can forget Torval and Dean in that strange Oly result? Maybe Dom/Shab can not skate happily in love and need some excessive drama.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, the problem is that waltzes were danced in the era of the OD, and new waltzes were recorded, but the waltz dance/rhythm absolutely did not originate then, nor was there even a version of the waltz that is any different from the typical 1800's ballroom dance that is typical of the 20's through 40's.

Frankly, somebody should have the guts to tell them quickly so that they can fix this.

lmarie086

Medalist
I'm surprised they (and their team) would make this kind of mistake. Whether or not a waltz would fit within the guidelines (and obviously it doesn't), I'd want to see something else from them because they've done quite a number of waltzes already.

I am looking forward to seeing how Spartacus works for them though-it's one of the FDs I'm looking forward to most this season!

dom_shafan

Rinkside
It's sad that almost every comment in this thread has been a negative one. I'm not surprised. Domnina and Shabalin always get criticized for every little thing they do.

I, for one, am excited to see their new programs. I think they're one of the stronger ice dancing couples today and they've endured quite a lot this year leaving Russia and moving to a new country and having to adapt to a completely new lifestyle.

Also, for those who didn't know, the Slow waltz evolved from Boston in the 1920s, as a successor of the Viennese waltz. It is widely regarded as the most elegant and romantic of all the ballroom dances. It's a slow waltz danced to 3/4 time and I think their choice of music was perfect. Here's a video of a couple dancing it in the 1920s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LrYRqrCyvs.

Goodnight My Someone Goodnight MY Love. The slow waltz from the Music Man which turns into 76 Trombones (a March also in 3/4 time) but that was early 50sl

Mafke

Medalist
It's sad that almost every comment in this thread has been a negative one. I'm not surprised. Domnina and Shabalin always get criticized for every little thing they do.
Also, for those who didn't know, the Slow waltz evolved from Boston in the 1920s, ... It is widely regarded as the most elegant and romantic of all the ballroom dances. It's a slow waltz danced to 3/4 time a

To the extent they're being criticised it's for appearing to try to game the system by ignoring the requirements (specifically not a ballroom dance) to do something that everybody already knows they're good at (a waltz). How enjoyable fans find may find the result is moot, the question is: Does it follow the rules or not? If not (my suspicion) they need to change OD's ASAP and maybe rethink this whoel move to the US if they're not getting any better advice than that.
_All_ waltzes are in 3/4 time so that doesn't help them. The fact that it 'evolved' in the 1920's is liable to not satisfy the rules which require (as I understand it) a dance rhythm_created_ in the 20s, 30s or 40s. There's plenty to choose from, if they can't find something they can do then they're just not trying.

I just wish some pair had the balls to try a lindy hop (my personal favorite 30's/40's dance rhythm though I don't know if it's allowed either). The moves are hard to translate to the ice (the a lot of the lifts would work well though the throws would have to be discarded) but there is no more joyous form of dance and it could be a truly great OD.

lcd

Match Penalty
Spartacus? Ugh.... snooze..... UNLESS... the cuts and choreo are less than the predictable frantic/agitated racing around...

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think that a talented team with a very good choreographer could pull off a lindy hop routine. I can't think of anyone in particular at the moment and I agree it would be hard, but lindy hop has lots of grat lifts and fast footwork that could translate well to ice dance if the choreographer knew what they were doing.