Practice reports? | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

feraina

Record Breaker
Is anyone in Cleveland watching the practices and early events?

I'm curious how the novice ladies practices have been going so far. I'm looking forward to their SP tomorrow! :rock:

Trewyn

Medalist
I wonder how Ashley's practice went; her flight was delayed and she only arrived at 3 am on Tuesday morning! I don't know when her practice was yesterday (the site's not working for me), I hope it wasn't too early...

feraina

Record Breaker
Apparently both Ashley and Alissa missed their practices. Alissa lives close by, so she's probably planning on arriving on Wednesday.

According to FSU practice reports, Caroline and Rachael both had great practices. Apparently, Caroline not only landed all her jumps including the 3-3, but she had great "command of the ice" and wonderful "footwork sequence to die for"! Wow! These words are music to my ears. Not so long ago, she was known for having *poor* command of the ice and *weak* footwork sequences. And it's really good news that she looked very relaxed and happy. Given all the media presence, I'm guessing that we'll see her practice video (and Rachael's) on Icenetwork very soon. Can't wait!

Oh, and someone at FSU also said that she looked much better and more comfortable than Mirai (who had good jumps except for a couple of 2ft landings), which is pretty impressive. Because I think last season Mirai really overtook her in terms of skating skills and command of ice. This year, what brought Mirai down were her UR's, but even in the GP's when Mirai didn't rotate any triples, she got higher PCS than Caroline.

Some at FSU are saying that Caroline always has good practices, it's during competitions that she seems to get scared/hesitant. But I remember her practice video from last year, and it didn't look that good. She looked slow and tentative, poor ice coverage, under-rotated jumps, and her footwork sequence didn't stand out. She actually looked kinda nervous and unhappy. One of the commentators mentioned during her Ave Maria LP ever since the SP, where she placed 7th, she's been practicing beautifully (I think this implies that she wasn't practicing well before the SP, due to pressure or nerves or whatever reasons), and then she skated so well in the LP. I'm hopeful that this also means that she'll skate well in the SP on Thursday! She will need to, with her skating so bloody early in the draw. :no:

I really like Caroline's SP footwork sequence this year. When skated with speed and confidence, it's breath-taking! Lori did a great job with that. Her Ave Maria footwork from last year was her best until then, so with her new found joy and speed, maybe it's even better now. I really can't wait for the real skating to begin. Whee! :clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yes, I remeber last year her first practice did not go well, she was a nervous wreck and that is why her SP was sub-par. after the worst was over she was able to deliever thta beautiful Ave Maria freeskate.

feraina

Record Breaker
More practice report from FSU:
Rachel - strong run-thru. fell hard once that i saw, but otherwise solid.

Mirai - popped a jump on her run-thru, otherwise OK.

Caroline - solid jumps, save that high leg kick. the combos landed in front of me appeared fully rotated - said she without the slo-mo replay of course.

Alyssa - was there, did not se her run-thru, she was very surprised to see autograph seekers so early in the morning.

Bebe - as good as yesterday.

At Hoover men's practices:

Jeremy Abbott had solid combo but popped solo jump in his run-thru.

Evan and Stephen are on the ice warming up in the second group right now, more later.

So, sounds like Caroline had the strongest practice once again, including a good 3-3. :love:

Rachael fell on the second jump of a combo (possibly 3-3). Yesterday she fell on a double jump at the end of a combo. Maybe the pressure of being the favorite is getting to her a little.

Mirai seems to have some problems with her jumps.

But where is Ashley?!

MasterB

Final Flight
My own report for Wednesday

For some reason the ladies can do either their short or their long during practices. It's not like the old days where you were mandated to do what was scheduled.

Mirai -SP- pop lutz the rest okay. She seems really strong when doing the jumps in isolation but not with the ease and lightness of last year. During her long yesterday she missed two triples.

Alyssa-LP- landed everything but missed the second Lutz

Bebe-LP- hit one, miss one all the way.

Bereswill-LP- solid skate but missed one triple. With her recent win she has momentum on her side. Lets see what happens.

Forte- SP- hit everything and could be the wild card in this field

Gilles- seems to be having a hard time with the 3toe-3toe but all the other jumps look really solid.

Carline-SP- solid program. To the naked eye her triple-triple looks solid as hell.

Flatt-LP- missed second part of triple-triple, landed everything else. She has added the loop where the second axel use to be. Will also wear a new burgundy dress for long (not much better than the blue but is okay). She did try the combo several times after the program and did not miss.

Wagner-LP- 3flip turn 3loop, landed everything else but some were 2footed. Did learn that she has a younger brother competing in novice men.

Hacker - missed her program but was not impressed with practice. She is really lucky to be here.

flying camel

Medalist
Thanks everyone for all the reports. I hope our little consistent Rachael isn't feeling the pressure. Lets hope she is just getting use to the ice. Sounds like Caroline is winning the practices. Alissa doesn't sound bad.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks so much! I am so happy to hear that Caroline is doing well!

lcd

Match Penalty
Ah... winning the practices. Let the 'head' games begin. Do the judges still show up at the rink for the practices even when they're at the outside rinks? I remember in the 'old' days, they sure never missed a beat. Made all the parents real pre-occupied too. I know in Dance it's a huge deal. Dancers get themselves all costumed up and everything, even if practices are at ridiculous hours just in case one judge should be watching by some chance from a dark corner of the arena. I think skaters from training centers have an advantage, practicing every day in packed high level sessions.

LKR

Rinkside
My own report for Wednesday

For some reason the ladies can do either their short or their long during practices. It's not like the old days where you were mandated to do what was scheduled.

Mirai -SP- pop lutz the rest okay. She seems really strong when doing the jumps in isolation but not with the ease and lightness of last year. During her long yesterday she missed two triples.

Alyssa-LP- landed everything but missed the second Lutz

Bebe-LP- hit one, miss one all the way.

Bereswill-LP- solid skate but missed one triple. With her recent win she has momentum on her side. Lets see what happens.

Forte- SP- hit everything and could be the wild card in this field

Gilles- seems to be having a hard time with the 3toe-3toe but all the other jumps look really solid.

Carline-SP- solid program. To the naked eye her triple-triple looks solid as hell.

Flatt-LP- missed second part of triple-triple, landed everything else. She has added the loop where the second axel use to be. Will also wear a new burgundy dress for long (not much better than the blue but is okay). She did try the combo several times after the program and did not miss.

Wagner-LP- 3flip turn 3loop, landed everything else but some were 2footed. Did learn that she has a younger brother competing in novice men.

Hacker - missed her program but was not impressed with practice. She is really lucky to be here.

Confused by "3flip turn, 3 loop," is she planning that combo for her long?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Ah... winning the practices. Let the 'head' games begin.

Caroline may be winning the practices, but what I want to know is ...........

............................. Who will win the warm-ups ?? :biggrin:

And will there be a come-from-behind victory in the exhibition? :eek:

Last edited:

kate

On the Ice
Confused by "3flip turn, 3 loop," is she planning that combo for her long?

She's probably planning a 3 flip 3 loop combo, but didn't check out properly this time and ended up doing a double three between the jumps in order to still get the 3 loop in.