5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 187.34
6. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 184.25 Free Skate
7. Zijun LI (CHN) - 183.85
8. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 176.82
9. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 175.98
10. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 174.24

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes, it was not her 2010 Olympics program, but I agree WeakAnkles, I actually was quite moved. And I don't know, she didn't have any dramatic facial expressions but somehow I felt her soul oozing out of her......and I think the audience in London felt it. I'm not sure how to explain it....

And I felt the same way in parts of Leonova's program. Like she's had a REALLY crappy emotional year, and put all those emotions into parts of the program. It really felt like I was rubbernecking at a car wreck. I mean the performance as a whole was pretty much a disaster, but it was an emotionally honest disaster, if that makes any sense. I felt for her. And like you, I'm not sure how to explain it...

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I don't think we can be sure that Liza would not be at Sochi 2014. I doubt Julia is ever going to receive higher score than Liza's-Julia's SS and spins are better than Liza's but for everything else, Liza is better than Julia.

no. both are similar. Liza has sound jumps, Julia - spins. That's all

Art&Sport

Medalist
not competing for the GP season before entering WC is more of a challenge than an advantage.
Yuna made it look so easy to comeback like she did tonight, but many people concerned about
her fitness level.
Flatt and Rochette are well rested as well but I just don't see them suddenly coming back to a major event
and perform at their top form like Yuna did today. Yuna is just exceptional both physically and mentally.

Yes, I agree it is hard to get up for coming back after two years away, but I believe Yu Na thought it through carefully and has been strategically preparing for awhile, plus she never stopped training completely, so her fitness was not necessarily going to be the issue, just maybe stamina and endurance which she probably also addressed with her prep events. Yes only someone with top level talent and rep, plus the necessary resources would be able to come back in style. I agree that Yu Na is exceptional technically and mentally.

Her technique is astounding, but for me aesthetically and emotionally Yu Na doesn't fully engage all the way. What she did technically in this performance did manage to touch my emotions, but not because she was fully sharing her emotions. What she shared for me was her brilliant technique and fierce determination. For me, her passion is hidden behind a wall of reserve. But as far as figure skaters, she is one of the greats.

daniel1406

Rinkside
I'm so happy that Yuna won the world title again.

I was never interested in figure skating until 2010 olympics. figure skating is not popular in Australia (basically no one's interested in figure skating). But after Yuna Kim won the olympics with two magnificent performances, 7 and 9 news (Aus broadcasts) showed her LP again and again even though they were not sports news... and that was my first time I was so moved by figure skating. Since then, I became a figure skating fan.

watched almost every single performances of many skaters on youtube (probably watched everything available on youtube xD) and I became a huge fan of Kim, Kwan and Cohen :)

I've been playing the piano for 15 years. There's something special about Kim as in how she's interpreting the musics on the ice (and with exactly the same reason, I love Kwan and Cohen). As a musician, interpreting musics (not just performing to the musics or dancing to the beats) is as important as great jumps. I suppose that's what makes figure skating so unique? it's somewhere between sport and art.

As a Les Mis fan, Yuna did a fantastic job. I was so shocked to see how well Yuna portrayed the characters (mainly Jean Valjean and Fantine) on the ice. I was so touched when Yuna was performing to the music "Fantine's Death" (the emotions of Fantine beautifully portrayed by her movements and facial expression... just wow -_- that has to be the favourite moment in her LP for me).

I don't want figure skating to be a jumping competition. It's not a gymnastics nor a circus.

I really enjoyed a fantastic performance by Kostner. Bolero really suited her.
Asada's performance was also fantastic but I don't think the choreography was great. I didn't feel any connection between her performance and the character Odette from Swan Lake (which is a ballet music by Tchaikovsky and which is one of my favourite ballet musics) except her costume.
But again, if I tried to forget about the stories and emotions of the characters in Swan Lake, I would say it was a great performance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, I agree it is hard to get up for coming back after two years away, but I believe Yu Na thought it through carefully and has been strategically preparing for awhile, plus she never stopped training completely, so her fitness was not necessarily going to be the issue, just maybe stamina and endurance which she probably also addressed with her prep events. Yes only someone with top level talent and rep, plus the necessary resources would be able to come back in style. I agree that Yu Na is exceptional technically and mentally.

Her technique is astounding, but for me aesthetically and emotionally Yu Na doesn't fully engage all the way. What she did technically in this performance did manage to touch my emotions, but not because she was fully sharing her emotions. What she shared for me was her brilliant technique and fierce determination. For me, her passion is hidden behind a wall of reserve. But as far as figure skaters, she is one of the greats.

I think that it still oozed out of that wall. Maybe not at the same level as Vancouver, but I could feel something.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
no. both are similar. Liza has sound jumps, Julia - spins. That's all

That's a bit harsh. Liza has pizazz and she can sparkle and perform quite well, even with subpar choreography. Julia has insane flexibility.

Personally I think Liza comes out on top, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll make it to Sochi.

I think she had a nice, respectable debut here and I'm proud of her. But, as others have said, Russian Nats next year is going to be intense!

hurrah

Medalist
Wouldn't that still be Midori Ito though? (As the first.)

Yeah. Acknowledgement of that was in my comment, 'My bad.' Well, Mao was close, pretty close to becoming the first woman to land 8 triples today. She'll probably do it next season, if she doesn't get injured.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Overall, it was a good night.

1. Yu-Na: I'm speechless. I have no words. I'm in awe of her, I really am. She made that look so easy it's not even funny. I just...I'm speechless. She was perfection.

2. Carolina: She had me spellbound until that damn salchow. I love her Bolero which is crazy b/c I hate Bolero. I though she was amazing up until the final seconds.

3. Mao: She struggled at the beginning but she settled herself and managed to finish strong. I'm happy she was able to get back on the podium.

4. Kanako: She was a welcome surprise! Did anyone really think she had a shot at finishing 4th in this field? I'm so happy for her. I loved her SP and I thought she was great in the FS too. Way to go Kanako!

5. Ashley: I'm so happy she held it together in the FS. I was worried for a minute there but she did what needed to be done. It's nice to see the US champ be the #1 US finisher again.

6. Gracie: Not perfect but she held her nerves in check much better here and did what she needed to do.

7. Zijun: She had the skate of the night for me! I've adored her for so long and to see her have the FS of her career on the world stage in her first trip to worlds is amazing! She was absolutely gorgeous!

8. Kaetlyn: She should be very proud she made it so far in her first trip to worlds. I love her spunk and charisma but she just couldn't keep her nerves in check.

9. Adelina: I was really proud of her! She didn't implode the way she did at the beginning of the season. I really think she's turned the corner a bit.

10. Elizaveta: She rebounded nicely in the FS. I'm happy she was able to have a respectable skate and make the top 10.

I'm so hurt for Akiko and poor Alena too. That must be devastating to go from the podium one year to outside the top 10 the next.

ranjake

Final Flight
And I felt the same way in parts of Leonova's program. Like she's had a REALLY crappy emotional year, and put all those emotions into parts of the program. It really felt like I was rubbernecking at a car wreck. I mean the performance as a whole was pretty much a disaster, but it was an emotionally honest disaster, if that makes any sense. I felt for her. And like you, I'm not sure how to explain it...

Me, too :(

neraiselle

On the Ice

Also, throwing all the emotions out on the ice is not the only and not the best way of interpreting music and communicating with the audience. There is the art of subtlety as well. For me, I prefer much more well-controlled expression of emotions and music to perfection which I think is only possible after thoroughly understanding the music and the character you are playing. Excessive expression of emotions, fist pumping, etc etc don't do the tricks for me. It is like listening to music, I suppose.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonight is the first time I've really taken notice of Li.

She quite an amazing young talent. I really hope the Chinese federation doesn't mismanage her growth.

I give it a 50/50 shot.

marcolee925

Rinkside
Yuna was amazing. Too bad the program was rather poor and she was absolutely methodical. I guess she felt she had a job to do. Great job qualifying 2 more little girls to Sochi. Those 2 girls at Junior Worlds weren't so bad. :p

Blood, fall and all, Kostner was wonderful. If she had the loop and the final sal she could contend with Yuna.

Too bad Asada left her 3axels and 3flip3loops on warm up ice. The program saved her.

Murakami did actually get both loops <ed so my worry wasn't all unwarranted. She did however pull through due to her short. I am still not convinced by her due to the ungodly mule kick but she really is more reliable than Suzuki...

Well done US ladies for regaining the 3rd spot but bummed that Wagner tensed up during the step sequence. She must have lost about 5 points within those 30 seconds. Again, great come back with the flip. I said this many many times I know but she really needs to hold her spins or else she will lose easy points on levels - and she already doesn't have the hardest content to begin with. If she had attacked instead of fallen on her steps and had done her spins right (all within her control, really) she could have had those 9 points that stood between her and the podium. On a separate note, I want her to skate to Firebird next season.

Gold wasn't as magical as was at Nationals but great job on her senior debut and helping with the magic 13. Along with Wagner, I think her place at Sochi is now locked.

Well done to Li Zijun!!! I think she has proven herself enough to have the Chinese Fed spend money for her to get overseas choreographers (Tom Dickson or Jeff Buttle would be nice) and perhaps also for her to go to a basics coach to further improve her basics.

Also well done to Osmond. She could have been as high as 4th but top 10 is nice for a Worlds debut. The fight for the 2nd Sochi spot between the 2 Junior Canadian ladies is going to be interesting.

Argh the Russian ladies. I guess not everyone can be happy with tonight's results. They did do very well for themselves, just not enough to hold onto that 3rd spot. I am still perplexed by the logic that 2 young, untested Korean ladies get a free pass to Sochi thanks only to Kim yet one of Sot, Tuk and Lip (and a bunch others) have to stay home.

Interestingly, the bottom top 10 are all first timers to Worlds.

So close for Meite and I actually do like her voidy power. Her jumps are very clean today and I must say I feel she is underscored.

The biggest mystery for me is how McCorkell beat Han given their respective performances in the whole competition...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Argh the Russian ladies. I guess not everyone can be happy with tonight's results. They did do very well for themselves, just not enough to hold onto that 3rd spot. I am still perplexed by the logic that 2 young, untested Korean ladies get a free pass to Sochi thanks only to Kim yet one of Sot, Tuk and Lip (and a bunch others) have to stay home.

Eh, I don't see it that way. The ISU puts a pretty high burden on getting three spots for that sole lady (top 2) and Yuna never had done so despite performing so well in her debut (getting bronze) in 2007.

Besides, I want to see SoYeon and HaeJin at the Olympics! Love those girls.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Are there other ladies who have done it since?

Tonya Harding at the 91 Nationals did it and I believe 91 Skate America. As for just doing 7 triples a ton of women have done it since, but Harding is the only one I know of who did both 7 triples and a triple axel. Nakano has done 6 triples with a triple axel. Nelidina might have done 7 triples and a clean triple axel in a performance at some point, not sure, I do know she has done a clean triple axel and a bunch of other triples in a clean (although otherwise godawful apart from the jumps) skate numerous times.