2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

mateusp1

On the Ice
Other disgusting facts..

Adelina also got higher goe's for her jumps than Carolina and Yuna! It is almost unvelieble how she managed how to have better jumping qualities than Yuna and Carolina(two of the best jumpers I have ever seen).

Let's see:

-2A+3T

Adelina: 2A+3T 8.14 x +1.80 9.94
Carolina: 2A+3T 7.40 +1.30 8.70
Gracie: 2A+3T 7.40 +1.30 8.70

I really think Carolina and Gracie had better 2A+3T, considering that Adelina had a very bad and awkward landing position in her 2A. She had a lean. Her back was kinda stiff.

-3S

Adelina: 3S 4.62 x +1.20 5.82
Carolina: 3S 4.62 x +1.10 5.72
Yuna: 3S 4.62 x +0.90 5.52

Both Carolina and Yuna had better salchows than Adelina.

Now, the things start to be even more ridiculous...

-3F

Adelina: 3F 5.30 +1.50 6.80
Carolina: 3F 5.30 +1.20 6.50
Kim: 3F 5.30 +1.20 6.50

Really? Caro and Kim have better flips than Adelina.

-2A

Adelina: 2A 3.63 x +1.07 4.70
Kim: 2A 3.63 x +0.79

She was also overscored in the step sequence...

She got more goe for her footwork than Mao. Mao's Rach's footwork is gorgeous.

ARipp42014

Medalist
I usually leave shortly after an event but now that I needed time to take it in, a few thoughts on the ladies:
Congrats to Adelina on winning the OGM. I thought she was solid and skated with fire. Hope she doesn't retire.
Congrats to Yuna for keeping it clean despite the hostile crowd. No matter what happened, she will be considered one of the greatest skaters in the COP era. Happy retirement!
Congrats to Carolina for keeping it together. After the last 2 Olympics, she finally pulled through 2 of the most beautiful programs I've seen in a while. Happy retirement!
Congrats to Mao for the epic comeback! 4 years ago, I wasn't a fan of Mao but she really grew on me during this quad. It's very inspiring to watch her jump 10 spots from 16 to 6. Please compete in Worlds!
Props to the American women. Ashley actually pulled it off returning to S&D. Gracie is such a charmer. Polina is a jumping bean. 2018 will be their revenge!
I'm going to miss Akiko!
Julia is beautiful to watch when she's clean. Hope she takes the last 48 hours and use it as motivation for the Worlds. She's got a bright future along with Adelina.

However, I will say a few things... the behavior of certain people on this board (especially one person) is disgusting. You are worse that the nationalistic crowd in the Iceberg. It's one thing to have a different opinion and different tastes, but the insults throughout the Olympics crossed the line. Even if most people blocked the posts, it's beyond classless and immature to see this. I don't care if I get reported for this but the haters, take your crap elsewhere. You are ruining the fun for everyone else.

It was fun to come back to Golden Skate for the Olympics. It's time to return to lurker mode. Maybe in 4 years, I'll be in Mommy Duty. LOL

will74lsn

Rinkside
I have just quickly computed the PCS for some of the ladies for this season and there are some findings that raise questions about the credibility of the judging:think:
3 ladies are particularly interesting to compare since they have competed in 2 GP in the GP final and in sochi and have skated the same programs (Kostner and Wagner for instance have changed their programs and thus it more difficult to make comparisons); these are Asada, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia
The average PCS for the 2 GP and GP final were as follows:
Asada: 69.52
Sotn. 61.81
Lipn. 61.68

The PCS in Sotchi were as follows:
Asada: 69.68
Sotn. 74.41
Lipn. 70.06

So the differences between Sotchi and the GP are:
Asada: + 0.16
Sotn. +12.73
Lipn. +8.38

Yes......I don't think much needs to be said Whereas Asada was well ahead of the Russians girls in December, 2 months later she was considered a worse skater than Sotn. and Lipn. I wonder how confusing, frustrating, disappointing, etc. this must be for a skater.
It would be interesting to take Sotnikova's performances in December and the one in Sochi and have judges tell us where we can see a 12.73 point improvement :laugh: Good luck judges! :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Adelina's programs and packaging this season were terrible. The transitions had nothing to do with the music, the choreography was bizarre and weird. What was she trying to portray in the FS? What was the theme? Oh yes, but she HAD transitions and choreography. That's not enough when they didn't make any sense in terms of the MUSIC and PERFORMANCE. I don't think Adelina had any idea why she was moving her hand one way or another. And nobody watching did either.
I've seen Adelina Sotnikova live. She is a talented skater. She can jump big though it's not pretty technique. She has good speed, she has good spins. But she should have had better programs. Those weren't Olympic-gold-medal-worthy programs IMO. Her programs last year (even that FS with the Christina Aguilera wailing) were better.
You are so biased I can't buy your reasons. I think her program was great, condensed and entertaining to watch. Andelina really did better than Kim Yuna with her FS. Her TES is worthy of it.
I would say I agree that her scores are too high, it should not be that high, if it were me, I would give her 145 at most. But It was really a fun to watch her, I feel joy, freshness and fierceness in all her moves. If bringing us emotions could not be counted as artistry, then what could be?
The thing is, I did feel a lot when I watched Adelia's yesterday and today's performance. While I don't feel much joy watching Kim Yuna anymore, it's not that Kim is not great, it's just I feel flat with both Kim's programs. My friend also shared the thought. The feelings are subtle but we both think Adelina deserve to win. It's just her score shouldn't be that hight, though.
Btw I and my friend are not Russian nor Japanese, not even America. I do believe my point of view is neutral enough.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I usually leave shortly after an event but now that I needed time to take it in, a few thoughts on the ladies:
Congrats to Adelina on winning the OGM. I thought she was solid and skated with fire. Hope she doesn't retire.
Congrats to Yuna for keeping it clean despite the hostile crowd. No matter what happened, she will be considered one of the greatest skaters in the COP era. Happy retirement!
Congrats to Carolina for keeping it together. After the last 2 Olympics, she finally pulled through 2 of the most beautiful programs I've seen in a while. Happy retirement!
Congrats to Mao for the epic comeback! 4 years ago, I wasn't a fan of Mao but she really grew on me during this quad. It's very inspiring to watch her jump 10 spots from 16 to 6. Please compete in Worlds!
Props to the American women. Ashley actually pulled it off returning to S&D. Gracie is such a charmer. Polina is a jumping bean. 2018 will be their revenge!
I'm going to miss Akiko!
Julia is beautiful to watch when she's clean. Hope she takes the last 48 hours and use it as motivation for the Worlds. She's got a bright future along with Adelina.

However, I will say a few things... the behavior of certain people on this board (especially one person) is disgusting. You are worse that the nationalistic crowd in the Iceberg. It's one thing to have a different opinion and different tastes, but the insults throughout the Olympics crossed the line. Even if most people blocked the posts, it's beyond classless and immature to see this. I don't care if I get reported for this but the haters, take your crap elsewhere. You are ruining the fun for everyone else.

It was fun to come back to Golden Skate for the Olympics. It's time to return to lurker mode. Maybe in 4 years, I'll be in Mommy Duty. LOL

Thank you for all your fun posts during the competitions AND Sonja Henie. I've enjoyed reading your posts.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm going to miss Akiko!

I've enjoyed your posts! ARipp42014! I really hope you consider not being such a lurker...I think you would be fun in the non-Olympic years too. :)

flaneur

On the Ice
Ugh. ridiculous results. I am appalled. It is one thing for Yuna to lose in the TES but to lose in the PCS as well? Ridiculous. Adelina skated well and deserved a medal but she is still lacking in PCS.

Happy for Carolina.

Mao's performance and reaction after made me tear up

After the questionable judging from the Team event, the ice dance, and now this I think I may have to stop following figure skating for a while until the bad taste leaves my mouth.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just finished watching the Ladies FS (hey, I have to eat!), and was reading the comments in this thread in sync with the pictures. But, I've stopped at page 92, as I had got far enough to know what way this thread was going!

So, before I retire to bed, I would just like to throw my tuppence-worth in.

Right result, wrong scores.

Based on what I saw, the only change I would make to the overall result would be to put Mao above Gracie and Julia.

In my time on here, I make no secret that I am a fan of the Russian and Japanese skaters. Or that I became a fan of this sport because I was a fan of Carolina Kostner. Or, that I don't like Kim Yun-A.

So, of course I am going to be happy with that result.

But, those scores for nearly all of the final group were rediculously high! I can't remember who said it, but I agree that Ashley was the only one that got a realistic score.

Definitely an investigation into the scoring is needed.

But, at the end of the day, I do feel that the overall result was largely right.

CaroLiza_fan

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Just to have stated my opinion:
Congratulations to all the ladies for beautiful performances!

Congrats Yu-Na and Caro for ah-mazing performances. It was close, but I personally had Caro just so very slightly ahead - though I'll admit it's partially due to having been surprised by just how good she was - 3F3T in the SP, and going for that 2A3T in the FS - and clean throughout!!!
Congrats Mao for an amazing, amazing FS! I was :jaw: the entire program. I'll rewatch this one a lot if youtube lets me!

Congrats to Adelina for earning the Bronze Medal with her best ever SP+FS.
Could you imagine how after seeing Mao skate today, Adelina might say "wow, I wish I'd one day get Mao's PCS scores"? Well, she won't ever say that again, since if she had gotten Mao's PCS scores, she'd have been second.
Akiko Suzuki also deserves much better PCS than Adelina, even today. 8.63 points is what Adelina got more. With that, Adelina would have been 3rd.
Scrolling through the ladies, I thought Kaetlin Osmond was a Lady I'd give about the same PCS scores (Adelina was strong in Presentation, but the other PCS marks should be slightly lower than Osmond imo)... She got 16.58 points less than Adelina. We know some is due to skating sooner, but the rest is due to... something else.
Still, as I said, Adelina should be proud for earning a Bronze Medal. I'm happy for her, but quite unhappy for Figure Skating.

Elaine

On the Ice
I must say something I was happy with because actually most of skaters deserved a huge compliment.

I'm happy with Carolina for finally having great performances at the Oly, Yuna for having 4 clean programs at the Olys (in a row!), Mao for her best LP performance ever and a great comeback, and my secret love Ashley. I really liked her performance(love S&D!) :) I feel like I should feel happy with Adelina because she's just done a great job under the pressure, but sad that I can't be purely happy. But good for her.

jaylee

Medalist
Congratulations to Yu-Na Kim for going LAST in the FS, not melting down, skating cleanly, all under the pressure of being expected to defend her title and in a VERY hostile environment. I am happy that she is a two-time Olympic medalist, two-time world champion, and winner of countless other competitions. She has an amazing record, an amazing body of varied work with wonderful programs, and still the owner of the world record in the SP and FS. She has delivered time and time and time again. She is an inspiration to many skaters, especially ones who never had the fortune to come from a country with a strong federation. She proved it is possible to have ups and downs, and live to skate another day. I'd like to see other skaters accomplish what Yu-Na did AFTER her OGM win in Vancouver--which is 2 world silvers, 1 world title, and an Olympic silver medal. Forget about before, that will never happen.

Congratulations to Carolina Kostner for getting rid of her awful Olympic experiences and skating relatively cleanly in order to win an Olympic bronze medal. It was fully deserved. She should be proud of her accomplishments here and her entire career. World champion, 5-time world medalist, Olympic bronze medalist. It's a great list of accomplishments. It's a great career.

Congratulations to Mao Asada for skating brilliantly in the FS to make up for the tragic SP experience. She did wonderfully! She should be so proud and happy. She gave a memorable performance on Olympic ice. She, like Carolina and Yu-Na, should be proud and satisfied with her career. Olympic silver medalist, 2-time world champion, winner of a gazillion other championships.

Congratulations to Adelina for skating two solid performances in front of her home country and enjoying herself at the same time. Too soon to comment on what her legacy will be.

s_parks

Record Breaker

Congrats Yu-Na and Caro for ah-mazing performances. It was close, but I personally had Caro just so very slightly ahead - though I'll admit it's partially due to having been surprised by just how good she was - 3F3T in the SP, and going for that 2A3T in the FS - and clean throughout!!!
Congrats Mao for an amazing, amazing FS! I was :jaw: the entire program. I'll rewatch this one a lot if youtube lets me!

Could you imagine how after seeing Mao skate today, Adelina might say "wow, I wish I'd one day get Mao's PCS scores"? Well, she won't ever say that again, since if she had gotten Mao's PCS scores, she'd have been second.
Akiko Suzuki also deserves much better PCS than Adelina, even today. 8.63 points is what Adelina got more. With that, Adelina would have been 3rd.
Scrolling through the ladies, I thought Kaetlin Osmond was a Lady I'd give about the same PCS scores (Adelina was strong in Presentation, but the other PCS marks should be slightly lower than Osmond imo)... She got 16.58 points less than Adelina. We know some is due to skating sooner, but the rest is due to... something else.
Still, as I said, Adelina should be proud for earning a Bronze Medal. I'm happy for her, but quite unhappy for Figure Skating.

:thumbsup:

jaylee

Medalist
You are so biased I can't buy your reasons. I think her program was great, condensed and entertaining to watch. Andelina really did better than Kim Yuna with her FS. Her TES is worthy of it.

Meh. I've commented at previous competitions that Adelina's programs this season are terrible. My opinion didn't change when Adelina was struggling on the GP nor with her Olympic performances. The programs are bad. The choreography is bizarre. That's it.

Mirunna

Record Breaker

+ 3 GOE. Best comment ever, made my day!

*hugs* Thanks for making me smile on what is a very depressing evening. :)

(And I mostly agree with everything. Good to know I am not alone :))