Polina Edmunds shows promise | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds shows promise

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe I'm the odd one here, but 9th at the Olympics and 8th at worlds when you've never competed senior internationally before is better than most expected.

No, that's a good point.

She also didn't seem too overwhelmed by the moment which is a positive thing. But things change once you start getting noticed (and as you get older).

Let's see how she does.

Icey

Record Breaker
Oh wow she was flawless. Every time she landed a jump it seemed so easy...

But her music made me want to go to sleep tbh....I wonder if it's just the volume...or the piece itself. Its almost like she was skating to no music at times. Also, I know it's mean, but watching her arm movements...this was the first thing that came to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v35tIBCw7RI

I agree with you that her music is just blah----all the way through, no definitive highs and lows to make it interesting. In fact, it brings her excellent performance down. I wonder what attracted her and her team to this music.

Icey

Record Breaker
gravy, Polina got a negative 1.9 on her 3/3 in the short at 2014 w.

desertskates

Medalist
Wow, good for Polina!! I'm not a huge fan of the FS music, but I'm sure I'll warm up to it. If she stays consistent, who knows how far she can go?

kalle

On the Ice
Her consistensy is remarkable!She seems like a tough competitor but obviously, she does not have a lot of pressure on her shoulders just yet..
I just wish she had a bit of a "wow" factor, maybe it will come with time..

starlight97

Final Flight
Polina has the hardest technical content of any senior lady in the world

Seriously? Please correct me if I'm wrong, this would be incredible for Polina, but how could she possibly have the hardest technical content? I mean Mao does 3A constantly and I think she technically had the hardest skate of the Olympics with Sotnikova right behind her and Yulia and so on also ahead of Polina...
Or did I miss smth, if so please tell me :) !

Selene

On the Ice
Seriously? Please correct me if I'm wrong, this would be incredible for Polina, but how could she possibly have the hardest technical content? I mean Mao does 3A constantly and I think she technically had the hardest skate of the Olympics with Sotnikova right behind her and Yulia and so on also ahead of Polina...
Or did I miss smth, if so please tell me :) !

Mao is not competing this season, so Polina has the hardest technical content. She does both the 3Lz and 3F in her SP. She has two 3-3 combinations and repeat the hardest two triples (3Lz and 3F) in her FS.

She combines that technical difficulty with incredible consistency. That's what will make her the US #1 soon, IMO. Ashley can't do the hard combos. Gracie is too focused on becoming a boring ice princess and is losing her jumps in the process. Polina is the US girl that can compete with the Russians.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao is not competing this season, so Polina has the hardest technical content. She does both the 3Lz and 3F in her SP. She has two 3-3 combinations and repeat the hardest two triples (3Lz and 3F) in her FS.

She combines that technical difficulty with incredible consistency. That's what will make her the US #1 soon, IMO. Ashley can't do the hard combos. Gracie is too focused on becoming a boring ice princess and is losing her jumps in the process. Polina is the US girl that can compete with the Russians.

Didn't she fall twice at the Olympics? Or was it just in her long program? She fell at Nationals, too, as I recall. I don't call that incredible consistency.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
While I agree that Polina has solid technique and technical difficulty in her jumps, she telegraphs them far, far too much for my liking. It's much more impressive to just 'pop' into a jump rather than take half the rink to set up a jump.

starlight97

Final Flight

Yes out of the US girls I can see that too.
But aren't the exact choreographies of Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova and so on still secret? Or do we know which jumps they are gonna do yet?
Not trying to pick Polina apart like I said this would be huge for her I'm just trying to understand why she placed (relatively of course !) low in Sochi and world's then... could her components really drag her down that much?
Or did she make this season's skates way more demanding than the ones of last season :) ?

shine

Record Breaker
I'm so excited about Polina. Between her, Radinova and Osmond all doing senior this year, I think I can get excited about ladies skating for once.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so excited about Polina. Between her, Radinova and Osmond all doing senior this year, I think I can get excited about ladies skating for once.

??? Kaetlyn Osmond skated senior in the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons --- she was 8th at 2013 Worlds, 13th at Sochi Olympics, and 11th at 2014 Worlds. This will be her THIRD senior season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, Polina landed seven clean triples at 2014 Worlds. Lipnitskaia landed 6 triples, but two were flutzes; Pogorilaya landed seven triples, but one was a lip.

The fact that Polina doesn't lip or flutz gives her an advantage, as both faults will be penalized more heavily this season.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
??? Kaetlyn Osmond skated senior in the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons --- she was 8th at 2013 Worlds, 13th at Sochi Olympics, and 11th at 2014 Worlds. This will be her THIRD senior season.

I think s/he meant all at the same time.

Meoima

Match Penalty
BTW, Polina landed seven clean triples at 2014 Worlds. Lipnitskaia landed 6 triples, but two were flutzes; Pogorilaya landed seven triples, but one was a lip.
The fact that Polina doesn't lip or flutz gives her an advantage, as both faults will be penalized more heavily this season.
But Polina doesn't have good choreography as Yulia. :think: I hope USA fed will pay more attention to her. She has huge potential. She's balletic and fresh.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

She and Pogo are more of the same thing - good skaters and jumpers but nothing special still there is time or she could be another good americanskater ala Holly Cook, Caryn Kadavy, Rachel Flatt - not everyone can be special but who knows maybe she will be. We've had a lot of promising stars from the US Mirai (maybe she will redeem herself??), Sasha, Gracie, Ashley, Caroline Z., Katie (competed I think against Ashley), Tiffany Chin skaters with great promise but who never reached what was expected of them.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Polina has really clean edges when she skates. I just love that. Excellent. I hope she keeps it up.

I'm also hoping for an American sweep this season (any event). Hey, let me daydream, ok!

starlight97

Final Flight
But Polina doesn't have good choreography as Yulia. :think: I hope USA fed will pay more attention to her. She has huge potential. She's balletic and fresh.

Yes I think that's also a factor. Her LP music last season was just -without being rude- dead boring, no highs and lows in there no tension, choreo wasn't that interesting either I agree... and that can really make a difference combined with her age and lack of 'having a name' (which I really think can be an influence-sadly)... so I hoped she would get sth with more character this season.. but sadly her music is just as plain as the last one :/

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
Maybe they'll get feedback about the music and tweak the cut of the music? It's a summer competition so there's still time to make some changes? Plus as someone else pointed out, fan cam videos aren't the highest quality. I'm waiting to see what she does come GP time.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I really liked the program, but I've always been a fan of the Peter Pan soundtrack.