Skating through College: Matt Savoie article | Golden Skate

Skating through College: Matt Savoie article

jesslily

Final Flight
Savoie shows that you can succeed both in education and skating. Many skaters from high school junior or senior unseen skaters to college age elite skaters think they can only handle one and either quiting skating or delaying attending college. Acturally if you do both together at same time, it really enriches your daily life. You could make both school and skating goals achieved if you use your time wisely.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Jess, I know I wouldn't be able to skate at the elite level and go to school full-time. You've got to be a pretty dedicated person to do both. I can definitely understand delaying college or quitting competitive skating.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I'm really proud of him for working so hard. I do wish, though, that he would take a little time off this season, so he can concentrate more fully on his skating. I would love to see him get to go to the Oly's this tme. He got gipped(sp?) the last time, imo.

TaraFanatic4eva

Rinkside
CzarinaAnya said:
I do wish, though, that he would take a little time off this season, so he can concentrate more fully on his skating.

Matt is taking this season off and focusing just on skating.

jesslily

Final Flight
But most time he did both skating and schooling. I think Matt is very organized and disciplined. He does not look particularly smarter than people who only go to college or people who only skate. Most young people have at least 12 hours active and energetic time every day. It's unlikely you can spend all 12 hours reading and attending classes, or all 12 hours on ice jumping.

CDMM1991

Medalist
jesslily said:
But most time he did both skating and schooling. I think Matt is very organized and disciplined. He does not look particularly smarter than people who only go to college or people who only skate. Most young people have at least 12 hours active and energetic time every day. It's unlikely you can spend all 12 hours reading and attending classes, or all 12 hours on ice jumping.

I would like to think that some of those twelve hours would be devoted to eating, resting, and maybe even having fun every once in awhile too.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Eating is negotiable. (You can do that fast. I can.) Fun is overrated.

I did the whole 'normal life' thing. I should've gone into skating instead, or insisted on doing more riding, even if it meant getting another horse. College and real life are HIGHLY overrated. And especially the traditional university education doesn't do squat for your ability to get a decent job, at least one that pays enough to live on. (I have a BA, an MA, and am now about three months from an AS and Le Cordon Bleu certification. I know.)

nicole_l

Final Flight
julietvalcouer said:
College and real life are HIGHLY overrated. And especially the traditional university education doesn't do squat for your ability to get a decent job, at least one that pays enough to live on. (I have a BA, an MA, and am now about three months from an AS and Le Cordon Bleu certification. I know.)
I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one. College is pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to the real world too. And, maybe having an MA doesn't help financially but there are many careers that people want to pursue where it's absolutely necessary to hold a degree.
Sorry, this is getting into Cafe territory. Anyway I greatly admire Savoie's skating and ability to balance school and skating even though I can't imagine doing it myself.

jesslily

Final Flight
Nobody sleeps 12 hours every day. 8 or 9 hours is enough. So you can use the rest 3 or 4 hours to eat your three meals and snacks. So you still have the other 12 hours to do both skating and school. I assume you might choose either living near campus or near skating rink, so the travel time could be maxmum 2 hours each day and you can set aside one hour from each 12 hours.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
nicole_l said:
I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one. College is pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to the real world too. And, maybe having an MA doesn't help financially but there are many careers that people want to pursue where it's absolutely necessary to hold a degree.
Sorry, this is getting into Cafe territory. Anyway I greatly admire Savoie's skating and ability to balance school and skating even though I can't imagine doing it myself.

Heh. Only those that are not what's called 'liberal arts.' Parents, don't let your kids grow up to be liberal arts majors. Make 'em take science instead. Or let 'em skate or ride or whatever. Either way, it's more profitable. Or tech school. Yeah, the people you meet aren't the sharpest knives in the knife kit, but at least they're employable.

I should've been an athele, or I should've been a science major. Would be making a lot more money now either way.

On the timing thing--college, unlike high school, doesn't usually take up all day, either. I had entire semesters of three-day weekends some time, or weeks with Tues-Thurs off and only four hours of actual class time the rest of the day. Even accounting for study time, that's easily plenty of free time. You just have to not waste the free time on partying or hanging out.