Figure skater stories that could be a TV/motion picture movie.. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure skater stories that could be a TV/motion picture movie..

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
I always was inspired by Naomi Lang's story though it is not as well known as the others mentioned. Remember that she was the first Native American woman to ever compete in the Winter Olympics, period. That right there is the basis for a story. Her early years were spent near impoverished reservations in Northern Calif.; she danced in pow wows as a young girl. Add to that her father's alcoholism and instability. Then, raised by a single mom with minimal funds, she moved to Michigan where she studied ballet, won a scholarship to Interlochen arts academy and a commendation for outstanding achievement in ballet, began skating, met Igor, won the novice dance title and then was dumped by John Lee her first partner because of finances. Then when all seemed hopeless in her skating career enter Peter Tchernyshev aka Prince Charming; who frustrated in his search for the perfect partner had already had 10 tryouts and even travelled as far as Switzerland looking for the girl of his dreams. After the tryout with Naomi in Lake Placid he was so impressed with her talent and skating abiility that he not only asked the beautiful young Native American girl to be his partner, cancelled the rest of his tryouts, he offered to pay for her skating as well! The rest is fairy tale history for these 5 time US champions and 2002 Olympians! I think Naomi and Peter would make a great story.

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
ViNNie said:
Okay....About Yagudin's story...

Mix quickly....What Bobek thing???????????????????

The story goes that she came in his room in the middle of the night(while on tour or something), screaming about him doing something to her. Which puzzled him. He was around 18 at the time. I don't know all the details, but I'm sure someone knows more about it. It may even be in his Bio book, for all I know, but I can't read Japanese. :)

anya_angie

Final Flight
No mention of Alexander Abt? Has he been so easily forgotten?

And Naomi Nari Nam?

Ilia Kulik would be a good choice too I think.

I think it would be great to tell Plushenko's and Yagudin's stories without trying to be biased and say one is better or more tormented then the other.

That is of course in addition to all the others mentioned lol.

S

SkateFan4Life

Oksana Baiul's story is a memorable one - being orphaned at the age of 13, living with her coach in Odessa, winning the World title at the age of 15 at her first try at Worlds (!), winning the Olympic gold medal at the age of 16, moving to America and turning pro, gaining weight/losing her jumps, leaving her coach, brushes with the law with drinking, etc., and finally, hopefully a happy adult life. Better make that a 2-part televisio movie to do it justice. The recent TV movie on Oksana was OK, but it ended with her Olympic triumph and left out the rest of the story.

Katarina Witt - living in East Germany. The secrecy, politics, Frau Miller, training, competing and winning, etc. etc. Leaving the GDR to skate in America. Witt, of course, still skates professionally and performs in her own shows. I'd like to see the show featuring her performances at the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting ceremony. She skated a beautiful number to "Silent Night".

Christopher Bowman - "Bowman the Showman". I would really like to know if that "up close and personal" segment aired back in 1989 of he and his family eating their spaghetti dinner in a tiny kitchen with a 40-watt lightbulb hanging from the ceiling was the real thing or just a stupid publicity stunt.

Nancy and Tonya. Please, no more!! Enough is enough, already. :mad:

IDLERACER

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Nancy and Tonya. Please, no more!! Enough is enough, already. :mad:
No sooner did you post that, than THIS article popped up on the United Press International's website.

tvcats

Rinkside
I'd have to go with Scott Hamilton. His life story is filled with highs & lows that would make a very inspirational movie.

Evdokia

On the Ice
anya_angie said:
No mention of Alexander Abt? Has he been so easily forgotten?
No he hasn’t, I think his story would make one of the most interesting movies of all – Sasha was so much struggling with making the Russian Team - partly due to the fact, that Russian Fed didn’t like his Armenian coach (and maybe also Sasha’s German surname), then he was fighting his way back after career threatening injury and not allowed to make the Russian Team once more in an Olympic season, so he went on for one more Olympic cycle and was almost beating future Olympic Champion Yagudin that year. And then finally he became Russian champion one year later after all the difficulties he had with that competition. That would make a veeery long story. And in addition it would be movie with a love story included since Sasha has such a lovely family with his gorgeous wife Lena and sweet son Makar. I think this would be a great movie! :rock:

I also wish there would be movies or at least biographies about Alexej Urmanov’s story :love: and Lobatcheva/Averbukh. :clap: It would be interesting to get more to know about his skating time with Marina Anissina (they twice became World Junior Champions!) and how he fell in love with Irina Lobatcheva and now he is doing such a great job with organizig that skating tour in Russia. :thumbsup: In addition there is talk that he might become president of Russian figure skating federation after a possible retirement of Piseev. :cool:

I think the stories of Alexej Tikhonov, Artur Dmitriew and Tania Navka also would make great movies. :yes:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Not to mention Sasha's injury in 1996, when he was told he would never be able to WALK again. Honestly, what Hollywood producer would turn that down? LOL.

Miezekatze

Rinkside
Piel said:
BTW I hope Platov is looking out for C&S. I think it would be difficult for Zhulin to give both pairs equal attention. How does that work especially when they compete against each other?

From what I've been told, N&K and C&S train together and are both coached by both Zhulin and Platov. Apart from them, only Zhulin coaches Fraser & Lukanin and only Platov coaches Zaretzki's and Zatzmann & Radisauskas.

I'm sure Zhulin and Platov can give attention to all their teams, most coaches have as many or more teams (just thinking of Shpilband or Morozov/Bourne).
And I think it can be motivational for competitors to train together.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Perhaps it's the groin injury that kept him out of the 97-98 season, only to return the year after and not do as well as an Olympic Champion was expected to. Not sure though. He's a great skater, great person, but I know very little about him. I have seen photos of his children though. Beautiful kids.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hopefully someone is working on a book right now that will focus on BOTH Yagudin and Abt (with plenty of Tchernyshev, Zhulin, Platov and others mixed in) ...you never know, LOL!

Plushenko is a marvelous story. Childhood poverty, living on his own in a total dump at age 11 - away from his family. Sickly, awkward, rejected by his peers he perserveres to get massive titles and possibly this season's OGM AND becomes a true rockstar to the Russian press. Also has 'happy ending' part to it with the marriage/family this year.

One problem with some skating fans though....they never want the real true story - only the one that reaffirms their previously held beliefs. Shattering illusions is risky business.

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
It's wonderful that you acknowledge what Zhenya (Plushenko) has been through. Hard to find skating fans who do.

Zanzibar said:
Hopefully someone is working on a book right now that will focus on BOTH Yagudin and Abt (with plenty of Tchernyshev, Zhulin, Platov and others mixed in) ...you never know, LOL!
Is that a tease? Is "someone" really working on such a book? Someone we know?

Do you think it might have a lot of great pictures in it?

MM :)

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Is that a tease? Is "someone" really working on such a book? Someone we know?

Do you think it might have a lot of great pictures in it?

MM :)

What? Moi tease? ;) Whatever do you mean, kind sir?
Okay - perhaps....:laugh:
With over 300 pages of notes, dozens and dozens of hours on tape and hundreds of photos...I better be able to put something together. But
of course finding a publisher in the US who is as interested in these topics as we are will be challenging! But what the heck is life if not a series of overcoming challenges, LOL.

(Btw MM - you thought I was joking about using your Czisny line - but read the next issue of IFS very carefully and in the opening paragraph of the Alissa story you might just recognize something....)