A Question about Rena Inoue | Golden Skate

A Question about Rena Inoue

perry125

Rinkside
Hi. I'm kind of new here.

A friend of mine mentioned reading about Rena Inoue in a Japanese newspaper. She said that the article said that she lost her father to lung cancer and then was diagnosed with lung cancer herself a year later. She survived it and John persuaded her to skate with him. She said the article was titled something like "I can't live without him".
I can't find this information anywhere and I was wondering if anyone could confirm it. I seems like it would be close to impossible to make a comeback in a sport like figure skating with a damaged lung.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I haven't heard of this, and would be surprised if it were true - why hasn't the media jumped on it?

emma

Record Breaker
I think FSU discussed this too about a month or two ago. I haven't found the thread yet. If I do, I'll post the link here.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That is a hugely amazing story. Even more amazing that they can maintain high energy at the end of a long program (particularly their Skate America LP this year) with Rena having any kind of lung damage.

But now I see why they seem to always to be trying for the record book rather than the win-I was floored when they announced that they were going for the throw 3A this year. I remember Abitbol and Bernadis damaging themselves again and again trying this trick and thought I&B were crazy.

Now I know Rena's back story, I REALLY expect her to land a clean one next time. What a fighter!!

I've been a fan since 2002 US Nationals when we sat next to John's grandmother for the whole week. We just had to help rooting for her grandchild! I&B skated great, and I would definitely have had them 3rd rather than fourth in that competition. They hit all their jumps (a real rarity for them).

Plus, they are a wonderfully entertaining team. I saw them at Tanith and Ben's tsunami benefit show last year, and they lit up the crowd.

"There she was just a-walkin' down the street,
Singin' Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do,
Snappin' her fingers and shufflin' her feet,
Singin' Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do!
She looked good (looked good), she looked fine (looked fine)
She looked good, she looked fine and I nearly lost my mind!"... :laugh: :rock:

babyoscar

On the Ice
rena

rena is actually really sweet. i saw her either october or early november outside of artesia rink. i got to talking to her a little bit before john run off to do something else. she was really nice, and talked to me about little stuff that i didn't expect to tell me because most of the skaters would just say thanks and leave. but rena talked to me after i had asked her a few questions.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, I would bet that the reason the media has not picked up this story is that they don't pay a publicist.

They don't even have an active fan website, let alone an 'official website'.

When you check out their isu bios, her profession is 'clerk' and his is 'car salesman'. I remember John being interviewed the year they first qualified for Worlds. He was asked something like what did getting to go to worlds mean to him. He said something or other like, I guess it means the car selling season starts later this year.

DORISPULASKI said:
When you check out their isu bios, her profession is 'clerk' and his is 'car salesman'. I remember John being interviewed the year they first qualified for Worlds. He was asked something like what did getting to go to worlds mean to him. He said something or other like, I guess it means the car selling season starts later this year.
:rofl:

But there is a serious side to this, too. What do competitive skaters do when they are too old for their parents to foot the bill any more?

MM

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Mathman said:
But there is a serious side to this, too. What do competitive skaters do when they are too old for their parents to foot the bill any more?

MM

They go to work. Seriously. Not all aspiring skaters have parents that make enough or are willing to put themselves in debt to pay for their skating, so they work their buns off and pay for it themselves. Some even go to school at the same time so they can get a better job to pay the bigger bucks and be able to skate more.

These are the ones I really root for when I know about the situation.

Remember the waitress and the truck driver?