Wrapping Your Legs While Rotating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wrapping Your Legs While Rotating

Tenorguy

On the Ice
I always wonder if the stress on the wrapped leg is damaging to the tendons.....

think how fast the person is rotating and then picture how much centifical force is pressing on that knee cap. It can't be good :disapp:

Tenorguy

S

SkateFan4Life

I've seen some skaters who wrap their legs for some jumps, but not for all of their jumps. In my opinion, this completely dismisses the theory that they wrap their legs because of their body build. To me, it's just bad technique.

mzheng

Record Breaker
NJSk8Fan said:
I must be odd man out, I think the leg up and wrapped looks neat. I know it's not supposed to be correct form and all, but I think it just gives a different look and for some reason it's pleasing to my eye.
You are not the only one. There is one in my house, my daughter, who said the same thing as you. Besides she felt the wrapped leg make it easy to distiguish the rotation. lol.

alain707

Rinkside
the leg wrap : on which jumps?

Skaters who wrap their legs tend to do so on the Lutz, Flip and Loop which are the jumps with the same foot for takeoff and landing (on the Z and F the last foot to leave the ice is the toe pick, and it's the landing foot too). So putting the free foot higher does not cause a problem regarding landing. It may even avoid it to be two-footed! On the other jumps that technique would be risky and finally usuless because there is a change of foot, and the free foot has to come down in the last phase to hit the ice first. That's very clear with Yukari Nakano : she has a high leg wrap on the Z, F and L and none on the S,T and A. Midori has a more moderate leg wrap, on the same jumps ... plus a little bit on the axel. Is she the exception confirming the rule?

CDMM1991

Medalist
I know young skaters that wrap their legs on ALL jumps. Even toe, sal, and axel. It is horrible technique for when you're trying to move from doubles to triples. Somehow Nakano and Ito managed to, but it is VERY hard for young skaters to git rid of their wrap in order to do triple jumps.

There are an ernomous amount of young skaters who use this flawed technique. I'm going to use my category at the recent sectionals as an example. There were 22 girls competing. Four out of the top five skaters wrap their leg, and as for the other seventeen, six of them wrap their leg. [Nova Scotia's a small province. Everybody knows everybody, and everybody knows everybody's technique :p] That makes 11 out of 22 that wrap their leg. HALF of these young skaters were wrapping their leg.

What's interesting is that four of the top five wrapped, because these girls are having success at a level when they only need to complete all their double jumps, but when they continue on to greater levels when they have to start triple jumps, they're going to have a lot of trouble.

alain707

Rinkside
CDMM1991 said:
I know young skaters that wrap their legs on ALL jumps. Even toe, sal, and axel. It is horrible technique for when you're trying to move from doubles to triples. Somehow Nakano and Ito managed to, but it is VERY hard for young skaters to git rid of their wrap in order to do triple jumps.

There are an ernomous amount of young skaters who use this flawed technique. I'm going to use my category at the recent sectionals as an example. There were 22 girls competing. Four out of the top five skaters wrap their leg, and as for the other seventeen, six of them wrap their leg. [Nova Scotia's a small province. Everybody knows everybody, and everybody knows everybody's technique :p] That makes 11 out of 22 that wrap their leg. HALF of these young skaters were wrapping their leg.

Interesting stat ! However, in which way did they wrap their legs? By crossing the free ankle in front of the takeoff leg's knee (as Nakano ) or, as a former poster say, by crossing their legs at knee level? If it's the first kind of leg wrapping (the one I was talking about), how can they do, let's say, a salchow ? The free leg being also the landing leg in that jump, the last phase of the jump must be quite acrobatic, as the landing foot has to go down from its high position past the other one to hit the ice first. They'll obviously be in trouble when attempting triples! In anyway leg wrapping seems less detrimental in jumps starting and ending on the same foot.

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
I guess the ones that do it on all of their jumps cross their legs at the knee. I'm not sure. I have just never understood the technique.

nicole_l

Final Flight
I've never really had a problem with wrapping my jumps, but I have been taught that it's ugly and poor technique. I imagine that a wrapped jump is not going to get any +3's.

S

SkateFan4Life

nicole_l said:
I've never really had a problem with wrapping my jumps, but I have been taught that it's ugly and poor technique. I imagine that a wrapped jump is not going to get any +3's.

That's my point. Wrapping the legs is unattractive and poor technique. It's certainly not the end of the world (of course) but it it just looks bad, IMHO.

Jasper

Final Flight
I think a wrap is distracting and not the most aesthetically pleasing, but not the biggest deal. Perhaps a wrapped jump shouldn't get as high a GOE as jumps that have tight revolutions in the air with legs together, but not significantly lower.

I wonder, how do judges score Nakano's wrapped jumps (besides her Axels which are fine)?

S

SkateFan4Life

Jasper said:
I think a wrap is distracting and not the most aesthetically pleasing, but not the biggest deal. Perhaps a wrapped jump shouldn't get as high a GOE as jumps that have tight revolutions in the air with legs together, but not significantly lower.

I wonder, how do judges score Nakano's wrapped jumps (besides her Axels which are fine)?

I would think taht the judges would give Nakano full points for landing the wrapped jumps, but they might deduct in the overall score. Maybe they don't care at all, and if that's the case, why should we? :biggrin: